Free Agency- Possible Targets

ARTMONK HOF

5 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Why sink money into Julio when you know he’s not gonna make it the whole year healthy? I mean the titans just replaced him with a guy coming off an ACL injury……. That should tell you something

Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Logic. We legit are in position to draft the best WR in a good class. If we don’t whatever bring in Julio on a prove it deal if we just luck into a stud like Sauce or Hamilton. Or one of those monster OT’s fall. But good lord if a underproducing guy from last year coming off a ACL with a bigger contract in his own right just took the man’s job I mean like if he wasn’t a name he wouldn’t even be getting discussed.

Lots of veteran DL that could help this team. 

Akiem Hicks is a guy I’ve always liked. Hard to keep him on the field lately, but when he’s out there, he’s a freakish disruptive force. If you plugged him into the role we envisioned Ioannidis playing, he would absolutely make some plays for us pushing the pocket. 

Calais Campbell is probably (definitely) past his prime, but signing him would be more about increasing the ROI on Young/Sweat. It’s hard to say exactly what happened (or how egregious it was), but it seems pretty clear that the young DEs were sort of going into business for themselves and shirking their responsibilities at time. Hard to imagine that would continue with a guy like big Calais on the practice field and in the meeting rooms. Consummate veteran, professional, and leader. Could play LE or kick inside on passing downs, sort of like the old Justin Tuck role. 

There are a ton of veteran DE3 candidates out there. Guys like Justin Houston, Carlos Dunlap, Jerry Hughes, Jason Pierre-Paul, Derek Barnett, Takk McKinley, etc. They really need to add a guy like that — it was really foolish having nothing behind Sweat/Young in terms of edge pass rush threats last year. 

There are also a number of veteran DTs they could look at, including Sheldon Richardson, Linval Joseph, Ndamukong Suh, Maurice Hurst, Zach Kerr, etc. These guys are all probably a step down from what we had depth-wise last year, but we can’t just count on the draft for depth at this point. Too thin. Need a player like this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Akiem Hicks is a guy I’ve always liked. Hard to keep him on the field lately, but when he’s out there, he’s a freakish disruptive force. If you plugged him into the role we envisioned Ioannidis playing, he would absolutely make some plays for us pushing the pocket. 

Calais Campbell is probably (definitely) past his prime, but signing him would be more about increasing the ROI on Young/Sweat. It’s hard to say exactly what happened (or how egregious it was), but it seems pretty clear that the young DEs were sort of going into business for themselves and shirking their responsibilities at time. Hard to imagine that would continue with a guy like big Calais on the practice field and in the meeting rooms. Consummate veteran, professional, and leader. Could play LE or kick inside on passing downs, sort of like the old Justin Tuck role. 

There are a ton of veteran DE3 candidates out there. Guys like Justin Houston, Carlos Dunlap, Jerry Hughes, Jason Pierre-Paul, Derek Barnett, Takk McKinley, etc. They really need to add a guy like that — it was really foolish having nothing behind Sweat/Young in terms of edge pass rush threats last year. 

There are also a number of veteran DTs they could look at, including Sheldon Richardson, Linval Joseph, Ndamukong Suh, Maurice Hurst, Zach Kerr, etc. These guys are all probably a step down from what we had depth-wise last year, but we can’t just count on the draft for depth at this point. Too thin. Need a player like this.

Well, they all have a big black mark against their résumé. None of them played for Carolina. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Well, they all have a big black mark against their résumé. None of them played for Carolina. 

Indeed. I think that’s why we’re probably going to pick up a Star player for the DL pretty shortly. I will insist on calling him *98 if we do sign him.

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-100-best-available-2022-free-agents 

To branch off of E's list. Still some talent out there to pick from.

26 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-100-best-available-2022-free-agents 

To branch off of E's list. Still some talent out there to pick from.

I've got us signing 3 guys today. I hope it works out.

I'll be out running errands, so I won't be able to check in to see till later on tonight.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Keelan Cole is a good receiver and believe he would compliment our receiving corp. 

WR Keelan Cole
The five quarterbacks to throw the football to Cole the most in his NFL career have been Blake Bortles, Gardner Minshew, Zach Wilson, Mike Glennon and Mike White. It hasn't exactly been the best of circumstances, but Cole has still managed to produce relatively consistent results under those circumstances. He stands out as a decent complementary option who can line up either in the slot or outside.

Tavon Young and Bryce Callahan still out there.

No comp pick for Young because he was released by BAL, which makes him a pretty obvious target for the slot CB spot. He played a full year last season (for the first time in forever…almost), which is the big thing with him. 

On 3/18/2022 at 11:28 AM, lavar703 said:

I don't think they'll do anything to jeopardize the Scherff 3rd round compensation pick. This is similar to the Kirk situation where they totally avoided free agency just to prevent themselves from getting something in return. 

I thought since he was Cut he wouldn't go against the comp pick.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It’s remarkable they’re just sitting free agency out lol. I guess we got the last piece to the Super Bowl puzzle in Wentz so nothing else really is needed…..

I think they are focused more on the part of the offseason that really shapes your team going forward in the draft. They upgraded QB and better QB play last year and we’re competing for a wildcard with a down year from multiple key players. I’m happy they are focused on the draft because they have to hit that. I do think we add a few FA after the draft and I think a lot of these FA are looking for that as well to maximize there value on more then likely a prove it deal at this point anyways. The Commanders isn’t exactly a attractive FA destination. So instead of overpaying I’m happy they are focusing on the part of the offseason that will have the biggest impact not only immediately but more importantly long term. 

• Like 1