2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

Reporters are just looking for clicks. If we really didn't believe in Lance, we wouldn't have been desperately and openly trying to trade Jimmy

Niners media must love it. They're getting almost 2 years of good QB stories. Keeps the fanbase glued in while its otherwise slow. But the below paints a pretty clear picture that they'll move on from Jimmy as soon as he's healthy and/or they have a decent trade offer

“I think that’s what we work at all the time,” Shanahan said. “I understand the question and the perception, how it’s viewed. But nothing’s going on with his development. Trey’s working his tail off. He knows how I feel about him. He knows our expectations for him. And I think he’s got a lot of respect for Jimmy. But the situation’s clear. We were trying to make a move to add some draft picks and get it back. And I think we were pretty close to it. And then Jimmy ended up getting the surgery, which changes things.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/29/kyle-shanahan-trey-lance-is-going-to-come-in-and-be-the-best-he-can-be/

Edited by 49ersfan

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/29/by-clinging-to-jimmy-garoppolo-49ers-risk-undermining-trey-lance/

They entered the offseason believing they’d be able to trade him, for something more than a low-round draft pick. As both G.M. John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan have said this week, Garoppolo’s shoulder surgery — which he underwent without even telling the team — caused the market to dry up.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/29/kyle-shanahan-trey-lance-is-going-to-come-in-and-be-the-best-he-can-be/

We were trying to make a move to add some draft picks and get it back. And I think we were pretty close to it. And then Jimmy ended up getting the surgery, which changes things.

I knew the surgery was a surprise to the Niners, but i thought he told them beforehand. Apparently he underwent it and THEN told the Niners.

So...looks like the Niners and another team (Commanders?) had a the parameters of a trade worked out, but once both teams found out the surgery had already happened, Jimmy's trade value got nuked

15 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/29/by-clinging-to-jimmy-garoppolo-49ers-risk-undermining-trey-lance/

I knew the surgery was a surprise to the Niners, but i thought he told them beforehand. Apparently he underwent it and THEN told the Niners.

So...looks like the Niners and another team (Commanders?) had a the parameters of a trade worked out, but once both teams found out the surgery had already happened, Jimmy's trade value got nuked

The Niners were not aware of the surgery until Jimmy and his team decided a surgery was necessary...But the surgery didn't take place until a week later and at that time, EVERYONE was aware of it, including us the fans. 

It is insane to think a FOUR month recovery on a surgery would have no impact on the trade market when there were more veteran QBs available than at any point in history lol. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

We don’t know what happened behind closed doors, but I have to imagine this surgery situation has tested the FO. It appears to be a ****ty move in order to retain some leverage. Which ultimately resulted in Jimmy playing himself.

That NTC was a big mistake. Idk why teams capitulate on that with guys who aren’t even remotely proven.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, John232 said:

We don’t know what happened behind closed doors, but I have to imagine this surgery situation has tested the FO. It appears to be a ****ty move in order to retain some leverage. Which ultimately resulted in Jimmy playing himself.

That NTC was a big mistake. Idk why teams capitulate on that with guys who aren’t even remotely proven.

I mean all parties have to do what is best for themselves. I do think that Jimmy tried to rehab the shoulder injury and was told by an outside doctor that surgery will be needed. I initially thought he did this to kind of screw the team and gain more leverage but thinking about it, that didn't seem like a smart move since he would have had to have known that it would impact his market as well. 

It's a bad situation all around no doubt though. Lynch and Shanny seem EXHAUSTED but they brought this to on to themselves if we're being honest. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John232 said:

Eh, I don't think the no trade was a big deal. It was ostensibly over at the trade deadline and I don't think that we would have traded him last year even if he didn't have a no trade. I think the plan was always to try and get back some of the expenses used to acquire Trey and in order to do that, we had to let him play (and hope that he stayed healthy). This gave the added benefit of letting Trey get acclimated without being under pressure. 

I didn't necessarily agree with it...I would have started Trey from jump, taken what I could get for JImmy and freed up the cap space, but I at least understand their thinking. 2 seconds isn't chump change and it certainly wasn't out of the realm of possibility to get if he had a solid season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Well it sounds like there is a very real chance our starting OG’s could be Banks and Moore. I like the potential, but that’s expecting a lot out of these second year players

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/157192-49ers-notebook-kinlaw-looking-griese-brings-shanahan-overtime/

The rough thing for Moore is that I don't think he's ever played the right side, and despite our intention to turn him into a guard after drafting him, he's never actually played there I think. Thats what is nice about Brunskill...at least he gives us some sort of idea about what we can expect there because at least we know we have that. 

Banks was bad enough to not even get dressed during the season, so the hope has to be that he can play well back on his natural side (and maybe being next to Trent will help). 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

The rough thing for Moore is that I don't think he's ever played the right side, and despite our intention to turn him into a guard after drafting him, he's never actually played there I think. Thats what is nice about Brunskill...at least he gives us some sort of idea about what we can expect there because at least we know we have that. 

Banks was bad enough to not even get dressed during the season, so the hope has to be that he can play well back on his natural side (and maybe being next to Trent will help). 

I said from jump that I think Moore fits better inside. I remember watching him@The Senior Bowl and just thinking he looked more natural along the interior, blocking DTs. Experience at the position will be a factor but I'm really eager to see how he fares inside. 

But if Brunskill sticks@RG, which I expect to happen, I think Moore should be the guy as the swing tackle. Thought he had better feet than McKivitiz when mirroring pass-rushers the little snaps he did have@LT last year and I think those two competing for the swing tackle spot wouldn't be the worst thing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I’m pretty sure Banks suited up for some games this year, not that him dressing means anything. Shanny just had an interview where he said Banks was pushing to be the starter and probably would have had we not gone on a run because he didn’t want to mess with what we had going.

• Like 2