2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

28 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I've been reading that the 1st round of this years draft is kind of weak and next years is supposed to be stronger

If so, i wouldn't mind getting a 2022 2nd/2023 1st. I think thats fair compensation for both sides

The only thing is, we should think about getting Trey as much help now as we can. So Burke and Linderbaum coming into his first year starting could be huge for his development.

I also agree with Crocker/J that trading a guy and then drafting for the position is not great. Just put an immense amount of pressure and baggage on that player, and in general, might be fallacious thinking. I think our entire forum did a better job with that 13th pick because no one was super into the idea of replacing buckner. 

23 minutes ago, 49to5er said:

I just a saw a report the Eagles are heavily pursuing Deebo. I'm thinking one of their 1sts, 51, 101 and Jalen Reagor maybe...?

Reagor is a lost cause IMO. He can't even be used as a PR any more... I'd be more interested in Watkins (assuming Smith is off the table)

Yeah, requesting a trade publicly pretty much signals the end for me.

I am very confused, if reports are true, regarding Deebo not being happy the way he is being used. Playmakers want the ball in their hands no matter how it happens. I will say it again, Deebo is not a top 5 WR based on we skills alone, his value is that he can do what he does In the run game. If he isn’t willing to do that, he just lost value in my eyes and isn’t worth the money he is asking for.

if that’s the case and we can get high value for him now, DO IT!!! I will take extra early picks to hit some needs that will help the team as a whole and will be better for the future than a slightly above average wr that doesn’t wanna do what we ask.

I am worried about the WR room moving forward but if we can address the position early and late in the draft, then I think we can manage. We need to help Lance anyway we can. If we walked away in this draft with a starting Center/guard, a top end WR and a playmaking RB Cooks, while still addressing needs at safety and maybe EDGE or Cb in the first half of the draft…..I’m for it.

don’t get me wrong, I love Deebo, but if we have to scale back what made him successful in this offense ( because he doesn’t want to do it), I would rather upgrade elsewhere and not deal with the headache………and we can keep Aiyuk after his breakout season this year

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, adamq said:

Reagor is a lost cause IMO. He can't even be used as a PR any more... I'd be more interested in Watkins (assuming Smith is off the table)

He should be moved to running back. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised most people here actually think he'll be traded. That would highly surprise me. Players "demand" trades all the time when contract negotiations aren't going their way. Deebo isn't going anywhere unless SF gets an offer that blows them away. Remember, they could technically franchise him for three more seasons after this upcoming year. If he sits out, then he doesn't accrue that season. Either he accepts a contract that he views as not reflecting his value, he plays out this year and then gets franchised, or he gains nothing by sitting out the year.

With all of this said, I'd be open to getting a massive haul for him. He is a special player, but A) it is highly unlikely that he would be as good elsewhere, B) if he doesn't want to play any RB then he is no longer as special of a player, and C) I suspect that Shanahan could replace him fairly well with a much cheaper player. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This seems to be the consensus. Things can change a few days before the draft but I've calmed down some and believe he will be back. He will get the deal he wants but it just won't be happening until TC or just before it. 

I doubt he gets the deal that he wants. He will settle for less than he feels that he deserves. That's the nature of NFL contracts, unless you are sitting across from Trent Baalke.

• Like 1

This whole thing is weird. It seemed like Deebo was embracing the wideback role during and immediately after the season. Heck, he's the one who coined that term. 

I get not wanting to be overused, but when you're such a weapon there it would be stupid for the team to not utilise it at least partly. 

• Like 2

As someone else pointed out too, him playing “wide back” as much as he did was probably not the plan..when you have a subpar QB, gaping holes across the line and a dead backfield, it’s going to force creative solutions, he was central to that. With Trey coming on board, I really don’t think we’ll be running 1:1 the same type of offense next year. Deebo is at his peak and I think he knows it, and we know it.

16 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

This whole thing is weird. It seemed like Deebo was embracing the wideback role during and immediately after the season. Heck, he's the one who coined that term. 

I get not wanting to be overused, but when you're such a weapon there it would be stupid for the team to not utilise it at least partly. 

And he seems to want his pay to reflect his workload, yet he wants to work less. Who can't relate?

• Like 4