2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's likely got no real market at whatever the niners are asking for.  They either crater the ask by tomorrow morning, cut him, or continue to try and play this game and you'll see a rash of restructures in a hurry

I mean, fringy 20-25 starter kind of guys like Winston and Mariota are available at a fraction of the cap cost and no draft picks. And Jimmy G is banged up (and is usually banged up). He's probably a tier better than those guys and certainly more consistent and more likely to steer your ship without crashing it out of the playoffs for a year or two, but with the other guys you get a better ship. I was hoping for more silly "he gots all the winz" advocates looking to recreate our playoff success with a worse roster. Sillier franchises like the Commanders and Panthers were the best fit for this. Unfortunately the Colts are quite smart, although the sheer size of their cap space and their lack of current activity in free agency means that Jimmy's cap it isn't a big deal. And the slight QB upgrade is. They're still the best bets. The Steelers' FO and coaching staff was (obviously) more willing to weather crappy bridge qb play until their new guy gets up to speed.

Ultimately, I think we'll back down on the compensation with the Colts. The second of their two thirds is my bet on where they'd end up. Maybe their 4th and a bit of change. Unless they go in for a Mariota type. Then we'd just have to cut bait. But that could much more easily lead to the year they had with Jacoby Brissett (even if Mariota et al have some upside Jimmy can't provide), and I'm not sure Colts management can afford that. Jimmy G and a young upside falling QB in the second or with a quick trade up into the end of the 1st would be the way I'd go if I were them. A wide receiver. A midlevel veteran tackle. And then a supporting WR type in the draft. Jimmy G would be the salve until Desmond Ridder or whatever is ready. It isn't the best long term use of assets, but it isn't bad and it might be job saving. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lombardi doesn't exactly put out good football knowledge a lot of the time either lol.

He just has bad opinions lol. I seldom see him state just bad info like trying to tell me that hurd had no real injury history when drafted and had a good combine or that Frank Clark is a speed rusher 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's likely got no real market at whatever the niners are asking for.  They either crater the ask by tomorrow morning, cut him, or continue to try and play this game and you'll see a rash of restructures in a hurry

Just send him to the colts for a 3rd and be done with him.

• Like 3

A note on the Colts' interest in Jimmy G: just like the more than just a second round pick felt very much like 49er psy ops, the apparent Colt change of face still feels like similar psy ops. Like, if they decided already on a Mariota type, they'd have that player. The Steelers are proof of how quick that calculus goes when a team is really serious. The going rate isn't too much more than 10 mil a year. I think that they want Jimmy G as Carson-Wentz-but-less-of-a-**** for basically the resources they just got back from the Wentz deal and are haggling. And they very reasonably want to keep their own second round pick. My guess is that is the snag. The 49ers tried to throw the line out there that the 2nd was already offered to them and it's a very good deal because they want more than a second. The Colts didn't bite and there's currently a standoff. I don't think that the either team wants this to go on much longer. The 49ers need cap flexibility and the Colts don't want to be left off the QB carousel. And the 49ers should be the ones to give way. They got really aggressive with pretty terrible hole cards and the fish at the table already bowed out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

A note on the Colts' interest in Jimmy G: just like the more than just a second round pick felt very much like 49er psy ops, the apparent Colt change of face still feels like similar psy ops. Like, if they decided already on a Mariota type, they'd have that player. The Steelers are proof of how quick that calculus goes when a team is really serious. The going rate isn't too much more than 10 mil a year. I think that they want Jimmy G as Carson-Wentz-but-less-of-a-**** for basically the resources they just got back from the Wentz deal and are haggling. And they very reasonably want to keep their own second round pick. My guess is that is the snag. The 49ers tried to throw the line out there that the 2nd was already offered to them and it's a very good deal because they want more than a second. The Colts didn't bite and there's currently a standoff. I don't think that the either team wants this to go on much longer. The 49ers need cap flexibility and the Colts don't want to be left off the QB carousel. And the 49ers should be the ones to give way. They got really aggressive with pretty terrible hole cards and the fish at the table already bowed out. 

I do wonder if the Colts will hold out to see if Watson goes to the falcons, and then go all in on Matt Ryan.

8 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Good post. I think the Watson domino has to fall too. If Watson goes to the Falcons, then Ryan is available. Same with the Browns & Mayfield. Ballard could want those guys more than Jimmy and is waiting for the market to clear up

Edited by 49ersfan

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Good post. I think the Watson domino has to fall too. If Watson goes to the Falcons, then Ryan is available. Same with the Browns & Mayfield. Ballard could want those guys more than Jimmy and is waiting for the market to clear up

Both Mayfield and Ryan would be superb hauls for the Colts. I have no flaming idea how the Falcons can fit Watson in with Ryan's dead cap hit, though. I guess they could cut like their entire veteran playing staff. Even with Grady Jarrett and other cuts or trades, though, it would be rough. The Browns are a fascinating option, but they are going to have a rough time ponying up assets and there's already the rumor that Watson vetoes them. 

• Like 1