Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

To me, how far Dobbs takes this team and how much $/years Dobbs camp wants is going to play a direct role in what/if I might offer Kirk. 

Kirk is saying all the right things now, but Dobbs could very well say & do all the right things as well. 

How Dobbs plays out the rest of the season is the unknown in the equation. If he continues to play at a high level and leads the team deep in the playoffs, well Kwesi might have "options."

Edited by Captain Relax
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i do remember some of us saying that Kirk wouldn't want to uproot his family and leave the comfortable home surroundings they've made for themselves.

Kwesi definitely has some leverage to work with.

The injury is going to have a significant impact on leverage, more than anything else. Dobbs is playing himself into a new contract, but I think his camp would likely be pushing more for a long term deal. So if we’re talking the best 1-2 bridge solution, it’s easily Kirk.

With Dobbs, I could see there being more demand for security beyond 2+ years given his age and the fact he has bounced around so much. Maybe Dobbs proves he’s worth it the rest of the season. Both options are gambled, as is ditching both and leaning on a rookie first round pick.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The injury is going to have a significant impact on leverage, more than anything else. Dobbs is playing himself into a new contract, but I think his camp would likely be pushing more for a long term deal. So if we’re talking the best 1-2 bridge solution, it’s easily Kirk.

With Dobbs, I could see there being more demand for security beyond 2+ years given his age and the fact he has bounced around so much. Maybe Dobbs proves he’s worth it the rest of the season. Both options are gambled, as is ditching both and leaning on a rookie first round pick.

I would definitely expect Dobbs decision to be more about the money considering he hasn’t had the big contract yet. Cousins can afford to make decisions based on other factors.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 6:51 PM, vike daddy said:

Dobbs’ performance the rest of the way in 2023 may or may not impact Kirk Cousins’ impending free agency, but if Cousins indeed departs for a new team this spring, ESPN has a wild theory.

One of its pundits believes Cousins could land in Green Bay with the rival Packers.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano: “My sleeper is Green Bay. Jordan Love doesn’t look like the answer, and while the Packers are as patient as any team in the league, they’re also used to winning. Cousins knows the Packers’ offense because it’s a derivative of Kyle Shanahan’s scheme from their time together in Washington, and Cousins and Green Bay coach Matt LaFleur could work well together.”

“I recognize this is out of left field and completely different from any way the Packers usually operate. But Love’s ‘extension’ includes a palatable $5.5 million in guaranteed salary in 2024 and nothing thereafter. If they get to the end of this season and decide Love isn’t the guy moving forward, the Packers might not feel like drafting another guy and waiting for him to develop. And even if they do that, Cousins could be the solution in the meantime for a team with a promising young wide receiver group."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/floats-unthinkable?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

On 11/15/2023 at 7:04 PM, CriminalMind said:

Is definitely possible. ATL could be a strong option as well

How perceptions can change in the NFL in just a few weeks. I think we can cross GB off his destinations for now. We'll see where things are in Jan.

I think Kirk is back in MN after they likely played out of a top QB in the draft.

Edited by Arthur Penske

26 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

How perceptions can change in the NFL in just a few weeks. I think we can cross GB off his destinations for now. We'll see where things are in Jan.

I think Kirk is back in MN after they likely played out of a top QB in the draft.

That's fair...we personally have generally believed he'll be back.  I really think the only other serious option would be Atlanta, since his wife has family there.  But, even if he's back, we still expect that they'll get a QB in the first round, who would likely sit for a year. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...