QBOTF. Get Out Your Crystal Balls...

vike daddy

not your brass ones.

with Cousins on the team for the next 1-2 years, he becomes as @wcblack34 states, "an Alex Smith" type QB for us. one who plays this year as we look for his eventual long term replacement, and one who plays the following year as the new trainee observes.

so what college QB's are out there presently that can be drafted in 2023 to eventually steer our ship?

I still wouldn't rule out a QB this year. The only one I really like is Malik Willis, but his stock is pushing him out of the Vikings range. A first round QB that needs development time with a 5th year option would fit that timeline perfectly.

Looking to next year, Bryce Young is the big name, but will be in consideration for #1 overall, so they'd have to give up a lot.

Guys that I like later are Phil Jurkovec from BC (Big Ben-ish prospect) and Jake Haener from Fresno State. Haener is a tough guy, too. The drive for the comeback win against UCLA was really impressive to me.

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Curious to hear @Ozzy's thoughts.

The original post topic is kind of a foolish question because for how many years has one thought, ok this is the last year of Kirk Cousins and the Vikings will be building toward the future?  Even with Kellen Mond that was the thought and they extend Cousins for another year after maybe next year it is it, sure saved them 14 mil or whatever it was in cap space which was probably a good idea but still seems like they have done this two or three times.

Unless they get a top 5 pick Bryce Young and CJ Stroud are totally out of the question and right now the two clear favorites.  

Then here is a list and it is not including all of them, I would not mind Armstrong who could be a mid to late or early 2nd round pick, Rattler could be in that range if he does not blow up and play great which he could.  Bo Nix not sure I hate that guy either but there are just a ton of quarterbacks potentially.  Hartman and McCall are two but not sure I would want them because they are very like Kirk Cousins.  Could get DJ Uiagalelei and he is an elite arm talent but not as mobile, Jaren Hall could have a great year also.

DJ Uiagalelei Clemson JR
Bo Nix Oregon SR
Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS SR
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS JR
Jaren Hall BYU RS JR
Kedon Slovis Pitt SR
Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS SR
Will Levis Kentucky RS SR
Dorian Thompson-Robinson UCLA RS SR
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland SR
Sam Hartman Wake Forest RS JR
Hendon Hooker Tennessee RS SR
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS JR
JT Daniels  NA RS SR
Gerry Bohanon Baylor RS SR
Jayden Daniels LSU SR
Dillon Gabriel Oklahoma SR
Spencer Sanders Ok State RS SR
Stetson Bennett Georgia RS SR
Malik Cunningham Louisville RS SR
Sean Clifford Penn State RS SR
Tyler Shough Texas Tech SR
Hank Bachmeier Boise State SR
Jarret Doege Western Kentucky SR

But yeah to say the Vikings will just draft a QB in 2023 and prep for the future, not totally sold on that, seems more like to me they love Cousins and will continue to extend him regardless.  Sure there are interesting QBs but how long is one going to need to develop them?  Kedon Slovis could be a nice developmental guy but only if he has a good year then falls to the Vikings in the 2nd round and he has high ability considering what he has done yet has looked bad at times also, and that can be said for all these guys, every single one of them so it is not that cut and dry.  

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

seems more like to me they love Cousins and will continue to extend him regardless. 

Not possible, as he will be a free agent after 2023 with the voidable years tacked on after that.  He'll be 35 yrs old after that season.  While people like to say QBs can play into their 40s...that seems to be reserved for HOF-level QBs, not Kirk Cousins-level.  The Falcons are already looking to move on Matt Ryan, who is 36.  The Vikings will get their future QB either in this draft or the next...and if not, they will sign a different free agent after 2023.  Kirk is gone after 2023.  They may love Cousins, but I believe they aren't "in love" with Kirk...they know what the analytics tell them...analytics tell them that QB play, unless they HOF-level, tends to drop off after 35 (not necessarily rapidly, but they still do).    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

Not possible, as he will be a free agent after 2023 with the voidable years tacked on after that.  He'll be 35 yrs old after that season.  While people like to say QBs can play into their 40s...that seems to be reserved for HOF-level QBs, not Kirk Cousins-level.  The Falcons are already looking to move on Matt Ryan, who is 36.  The Vikings will get their future QB either in this draft or the next...and if not, they will sign a different free agent after 2023.  Kirk is gone after 2023.  They may love Cousins, but I believe they aren't "in love" with Kirk...they know what the analytics tell them...analytics tell them that QB play, unless they HOF-level, tends to drop off after 35 (not necessarily rapidly, but they still do).    

Sure but I think that was said about 2020ish, then 2022, now 2023.  It is not the first date given of great after this year we will move on from Kirk Cousins.  My guess is they extend him again after 2023.  Sure maybe for a year or two but they will extend him again unless he is just awful is my guess.

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm not really a big fan of next years class honestly.

Also, I think Nick Patti will start over Kedon Slovis at Pitt. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

I doubt Patti will start over him but will see, Slovis threw for 3500+ yards 30 TDs as a true freshman and is more experience and arguably more talented.  

It would be so awesome to have a perfect crystal ball on this! 😁  When it comes to truly successful NFL QBs, what's important to whom?

Personally, I do not like a "dual threat" QB . . . I like QBs who run a game plan efficiently and keep their own D on the bench; guys who methodically march their team down the field wearing down the opponents D and breaking their will.  But, he also has to own a cannon, second only in importance to his football wits.   It goes without saying immobile statues are susceptible to sacks.   Are they more susceptible to injury?   I don't think so. 

Now, if the guy can turn around and hand the ball to an Adrian, Edgerin or Beast Mode, he's just gotta stir the drink, right?   

Do I believe a QB has to be a Top-5 worthy guy to be a stud?   No.   Just like every other position, 60 percent of your draft picks won't pan out.   At some point, the Vikes luck has to be right.  I still wish they had drafted Minshew.   I like the BC option . . . And a guy named Cameron Ward . . . A guy named Gronowski . . . There are 200 to choose from.   We do need one.