Bucs sign WR Russell Gage (3 years, $30M)

ACO

For a 6th round pick, Gage is exactly what the Falcons could have hoped for. Very solid as a #3 type weapon, depending on the offense. He was raw coming out of college and at only 26, his best years are still ahead of him. Figured some team would be able to outbid the Falcons. Interested to see the terms here. 

Wish him well, I enjoyed watching him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swoosh said:

For a 6th round pick, Gage is exactly what the Falcons could have hoped for. Very solid as a #3 type weapon, depending on the offense. He was raw coming out of college and at only 26, his best years are still ahead of him. Figured some team would be able to outbid the Falcons. Interested to see the terms here. 

Wish him well, I enjoyed watching him. 

Personally he dropped too many balls for me to be happy with but his effort is relentless and his style was fun. I'm hoping Tampa backed the truck up for like 12-14 mill, but I doubt they did haha.

If it's less than 9 mil a year im gonna be pretty upset the Falcons couldn't bring him back for that.  But i wouldn't give him more than 11+ mil a year and anything over that imo is an overpay.  He was solid and liked here as he put in good effort but he did drop alot of balls at times and always dealt with some small injury.  The injury thing is probably because he goes all out for a catch jumping in the air twisting his body and landing hard alot.    The effort is much appreciated but not always a smart thing to do all the time for longevity and reliability lol.

Just now, CP3MVP said:

Bro who are the Falcons WRs right now

We have Frank Darby and OZ  :D   Although i think i would like us to target Austin Hooper and bring him back at TE and slide Pitts over as the main WR target and #2 TE.   I think Hooper at 750 yards and a few TD's under 10 mil is a better value than us throwing 18 mil at a 900 to 100 yard receiver.  

To me if we can do something like this we will be ok

WR - Pitts, 2nd or 3rd round
pick,  mid tier FA WR pickup, OZ, Darby   we would be ok overall

TE - Hooper, Pitts, cheap Blocking TE, cheap TE with upside

Hmm 3 for 30 and 20 guaranteed.  Thats right in the middle of what i was thinking on him.  I think i would have been ok with 10 thinking it was a slight overpay but not bad. Hopefully falcons can find someone similar in talent or with more upside for around the same price or less.

56 minutes ago, iloxygenil said:

That would be a good deal for him. But no one in the world thought Kirk was getting a mega deal either, WRs seem to be getting a bit extra on top this year for whatever reason. But I agree with you 7-8 would be a good signing, and 10 mil is the top end, go north of that and you can forget it.

We paid 10 LOL not happy about it at all. 3 for 30? Godwin needs to be compensated properly

Just now, iloxygenil said:

10 I think was the number to get him away from ATL. I think we were ready to go 8-9

Yeah me and you was on the same page on this one.  I will say this for Fontenot so far unlike TD he has his set numbers and so far they are pretty fair on what he will overpay and what he won't.   Now theirs still a whole lot left in FA to still possibly overpay but i like what im seeing so far.  I felt TD would overpay to get his guy more often than not at times.

6 minutes ago, iloxygenil said:

10 I think was the number to get him away from ATL. I think we were ready to go 8-9

If you're willing to go 8-9, not going to 10 is just dumb IMO...

An extra 3million over the contract life is pennies, especially given the fact he will likely not see the whole term.

It probably had more to do with the guaranteed money, but even that is relatively minimal. 

6 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If you're willing to go 8-9, not going to 10 is just dumb IMO...

An extra 3million over the contract life is pennies, especially given the fact he will likely not see the whole term.

It probably had more to do with the guaranteed money, but even that is relatively minimal. 

If you’re willing to go 8-9 then going past that is just dumb. This is why people stay in debt and don’t know what a budget is. Glad you don’t control my bank account my business or any organization’s purse strings.