Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If somebody wants to trade a 2023 first for one of our 2022 first round picks, take that deal no matter which team it is.

That is not remotely close to the actual value that could be gotten. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R T said:

I really don't remember much of Eric Decker, is there a chance that maybe he does play like Decker? Any chance the person doing the comp was really looking at style of play and not the tone of the player's skin. 

Tried a few more. 

Desmond Ridder - comp was Dak Prescott

Drake London - Mike Evans

Greg Dulcich - Jared Cook

Leo Chenal - Zaven Collins

This is a serious question here, does a white player always need to be comp'd to a black player and vice versa or it is bigotry? That might be a little difficult with many positions. Imagine every black CB needed to be comp'd to a white CB or it is bigotry. All this thin skinniness' about comp's is just odd to me.   

He doesnt. Pretty much nothing in their skillset or measurements would match other than the obvious. It's not so much that it's universal but it's just enough to be mildly entertaining/annoying/obvious. Mostly just a meme about people that make lazy comparisons. Same happens with players from the same school often times.

Edited by wgbeethree
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks this WR draft class leaves a bit to be desired given we just lost the best WR in the NFL? I don't see much #1 WR material here that deserves a first round pick. Actually, depending on how he eventually runs after healing that ankle, the only WR for round 1 that intrigues me is Drake London. For sure, teams pick them in rnd 1 because of dire need.  Don't get me wrong: I see a bunch of #2 WR material--guys you draft in round 2 or later. But each guy has a weakness to go with their strengths. Take Olave. Great route runner, but slightly smaller than you'd like, not much of a blocker. Take Burks. He's got the size and mitts but lacks deep speed. Take Watson. Has size and speed but suffers alot of drops. Take Dotson. Runs good routes but is undersized. I just don't see a complete WR ideally worth a 1st round pick. I'd say the same about the TE class this year. I honestly think you might have an similar result just taking a WR George Pickens in round 2, presuming he is there.

I wouldn't fault Gute if he waited till round 2 before drafting a WR.  No doubt, what I've said here may meet with angry replies, especially from Olave lovers. But I see no Jefferson's or Chases in this year's draft. I just hope the Packers don't overdraft out of desperation. 

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Am I the only one who thinks this WR draft class leaves a bit to be desired given we just lost the best WR in the NFL? I don't see much #1 WR material here that deserves a first round pick. Actually, depending on how he eventually runs after healing that ankle, the only WR for round 1 that intrigues me is Drake London. For sure, teams pick them in rnd 1 because of dire need.  Don't get me wrong: I see a bunch of #2 WR material--guys you draft in round 2 or later. But each guy has a weakness to go with their strengths. Take Olave. Great route runner, but slightly smaller than you'd like, not much of a blocker. Take Burks. He's got the size and mitts but lacks deep speed. Take Watson. Has size and speed but suffers alot of drops. Take Dotson. Runs good routes but is undersized. I just don't see a complete WR ideally worth a 1st round pick. I'd say the same about the TE class this year. I honestly think you might have an similar result just taking a WR George Pickens in round 2, presuming he is there.

I wouldn't fault Gute if he waited till round 2 before drafting a WR.  No doubt, what I've said here may meet with angry replies, especially from Olave lovers. But I see no Jefferson's or Chases in this year's draft. I just hope the Packers don't overdraft out of desperation. 

Let me try to talk you back just a little.  

We are not in the position to draft a player like Chase, even if there were one in this draft.  Those guys go early.  I don't know how Jefferson fell as far as he did.

But I want you to look back to a couple of our 2nd round WRs that turned out well.   Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and Davante Adams.  None of these guys were considered the cream of the crop at this point in the evaluations of their draft classes, either.  The Packers scouted well, and developed those guys into Pro-Bowl level WRs.

We have 5 picks in the top 100 of this draft.  There will be some good WRs available, probably at each one of those picks.  Is it unfathomable that Olave, Williams, Dotson, or Watson produce like any of our past WRs did when they finally got the targets? Heck, we could go with the Greg Jennings clone, Skyy Moore.  

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is it unfathomable that Olave, Williams, Dotson, or Watson produce like any of our past WRs did when they finally got the targets? Heck, we could go with the Greg Jennings clone, Skyy Moore.  

For sure. But I should have been clearer. I meant a relatively "right now" WR while the contention window is still open. As you say, those usually don't last into the bottom of round 1 (Jefferson an exception.) I see alot of #2WR prospects, and some of them no doubt will develop into great WR's after a couple seasons. So my main point was that looking at this draft class, I don't see that much difference between grabbing an Olave in 1st vs. a Pickens in the 2nd, or a Burks in the 1st vs. a Watson in the 2nd. So if BPA (at positions of lesser need) is at different positions than WR in round 1, I won't freak if Gute didn't draft a WR in round 1.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

I'm with ya.  Lots of #2s in the bunch.  I'd like to trade for a good vet WR and get a guy to groom as a #2 who can become a #1 down the road. 

Edited by NFLGURU

4 hours ago, R T said:

I really don't remember much of Eric Decker, is there a chance that maybe he does play like Decker? Any chance the person doing the comp was really looking at style of play and not the tone of the player's skin. 

Tried a few more. 

Desmond Ridder - comp was Dak Prescott

Drake London - Mike Evans

Greg Dulcich - Jared Cook

Leo Chenal - Zaven Collins

This is a serious question here, does a white player always need to be comp'd to a black player and vice versa or it is bigotry? That might be a little difficult with many positions. Imagine every black CB needed to be comp'd to a white CB or it is bigotry. All this thin skinniness' about comp's is just odd to me.   

I don't think the Pierce to Jordy comparison is that far-fetched. Jordy was a better route runner coming out and had slightly better hands, but athletically and stylistically they are similar. Jordy timed slower in the 40, but I think Jordy proved in the NFL that his play speed was better than his 40 time. Nobody caught younger Jordy from behind. Decker? Not so much.

I think Howell reminds me more of Dak than Ridder. I think Ridder reminds me more of Ryan Tannehill. Throwing motion is a bit different, but they are similar in size and athletic traits (Tannehill was a decent college WR that Texas A&M moved to QB). They also have the same weakness: accuracy.

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If somebody wants to trade a 2023 first for one of our 2022 first round picks, take that deal no matter which team it is.

You have a lot of good insights, but this isn't one of them. Giving away value. If they want to give us a 2 this year and a 1 next year we could talk. Otherwise, no deal. 

If this WR class isn't as good as some are saying and the WR FA pool is drying up we might really feel the loss of Adams more than we want to admit.  MVS and Lazard are nice WRs but not the type DCs will spend a lot of time losing sleep over like they did with Davante.

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 1