Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

If this WR class isn't as good as some are saying and the WR FA pool is drying up we might really feel the loss of Adams more than we want to admit.  MVS and Lazard are nice WRs but not the type DCs will spend a lot of time losing sleep over like they did with Davante.

Not that it helps GB THIS season but I also think the thinking is what Daniel Jeremiah said… and that’s basically for the next 10 years just mark it down the WR classes are loaded. Like WR is always going to be loaded. 

I know GB was reported to be willing to pay Adams but without the details of that structure… we don’t know if they really were. And I think the thinking is get the picks now because WR talent isn’t hard to come by. Regardless if it scares DCs or not. 

Also I can see a not so distance future where WRs become like RBs and because they are going to get easily replaced that Adams like deals are going to go away.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think Gute will go where the draft takes him.  I won't be surprised if neither of the top 2 picks is a WR.  It's a need, but if impact players are there at other positions I dont think he'd hesitate to take them.

Gute is very unpredictable in the draft, but while he might neglect a WR in round 1, I doubt the end of round two comes without a WR being taken. Other considerations in my mind (for the first 4 picks, ie rounds 1&2) are Edge, DT, TE, OT, with other positions like ILB, S, CB, IOL being less likely. TE MIGHT be relegated to a later pick, that position group being so deep this year, while a double dip at Edge is very possible as the position is so strong this years draft. A double dip at DT is also possible, though this position group is the opposite of the Edge guys (ie DT is thin this year).

Those extra round 1 and 2 picks can certainly give a boost of quality at more position groups than is normally the case. Gute has 4 positions in the draft to take 'best available' rather than the normal two, and that extra flexibility not only helps to get BPA, it might also tempt Gute into taking a flier on someone, when he wouldn't do that with just the two picks.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Those extra round 1 and 2 picks can certainly give a boost of quality at more position groups than is normally the case. Gute has 4 positions in the draft to take 'best available' rather than the normal two, and that extra flexibility not only helps to get BPA, it might also tempt Gute into taking a flier on someone, when he wouldn't do that with just the two picks.

This ^

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Gute is very unpredictable in the draft, but while he might neglect a WR in round 1, I doubt the end of round two comes without a WR being taken. Other considerations in my mind (for the first 4 picks, ie rounds 1&2) are Edge, DT, TE, OT, with other positions like ILB, S, CB, IOL being less likely. TE MIGHT be relegated to a later pick, that position group being so deep this year, while a double dip at Edge is very possible as the position is so strong this years draft. A double dip at DT is also possible, though this position group is the opposite of the Edge guys (ie DT is thin this year).

Agree.  One thing that has to be taken into consideration is Gutes approach to this draft.  Drafting for next year can be different than drafting for down the road.  We like to look at next year, he needs to look at both.  The Rodgers timeline is a factor, but so is the post Rodgers era.

6 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

The more I look at this draft class of wide receivers, the value of the class is in the second or third rounds where we have been pretty good in prior drafts in getting good wide outs.  I'd stick with that and use the first round picks on other needs like defensive line or edge linebacker.  Last year, their was a notable drop off in performance of the defense whenever Clark was not in there or Gary and Smith.  We could also use another safety.  We really need to deepen those areas so our defense does not run out of gas like they appeared to do several times last year.

This is what I've been saying too. This is a great WR draft class, that is, in terms of DEPTH. But I really don't see any WR1 guys, except possibly London, depending on how he times after his broken ankle is fully healed. I see a bunch of WR2/3 guys. There is not much difference between drafting an Olave in round 1 as there is in drafting a Pickens in round 2. 

Hence, I hope that in round 1 Gute goes with Best Player Available (at a position of greater or lesser need) rather than strictly greatest Need. So say it's Edge/OLB Johnson and OL Johnson that they take at #22 and #28, or even NT Travis Jones at #28. I'd much rather Gute go the BPA direction in the first round and then grab at least one if not two WR prospects in rounds 2 and 3. In a different year with a different class of WR, I may not say that. But given this year the WR draft class has few if any WR1's but has alot of WR2's, it just makes more sense, at least to me.

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pugger said:

If this WR class isn't as good as some are saying and the WR FA pool is drying up we might really feel the loss of Adams more than we want to admit.  MVS and Lazard are nice WRs but not the type DCs will spend a lot of time losing sleep over like they did with Davante.

We don’t need any DC to lose sleep gameplanning for an individual at wideout. This can be a big blessing in disguise as it should force 12 to spread the ball around more and teams will have no beat on what we do or where 12 goes. The other side of it is that 12 needs people to actually get open consistently enough to where there aren’t a big increase in coverage sacks. When Rodgers throws on time and in rhythm, he’s a damn cheat code. He’s the best in the NFL when he can get that done. That’s not possible if guys can’t beat man coverage or find soft spots in zone. I want to see a power run offense with versatility (which we should be able to implement). Play action will be the biggest key this season. We’re likely going to lose games when we fall behind early. Luckily we kept almost our entire defense in tact. We’re gonna need em to play like they did in the divisional all year long. We should be very balanced this year. I’m eager to see it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

This is what I've been saying too. This is a great WR draft class, that is, in terms of DEPTH. But I really don't see any WR1 guys, except possibly London, depending on how he times after his broken ankle is fully healed. I see a bunch of WR2/3 guys. There is not much difference between drafting an Olave in round 1 as there is in drafting a Pickens in round 2. 

Hence, I hope that in round 1 Gute goes with Best Player Available (at a position of greater or lesser need) rather than strictly greatest Need. So say it's Edge/OLB Johnson and OL Johnson that they take at #22 and #28, or even NT Travis Jones at #28. I'd much rather Gute go the BPA direction in the first round and then grab at least one if not two WR prospects in rounds 2 and 3. In a different year with a different class of WR, I may not say that. But given this year the WR draft class has few if any WR1's but has alot of WR2's, it just makes more sense, at least to me.

I’d like to see a solid DT/DE hybrid in round one. A solid pass catcher somewhere shortly after that (WR or TE), or a solid edge rusher. Then I want to load up on o-line. I think our best bet is consistent defense, consistent run game, and play action passing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rthom348 said:

I’d like to see a solid DT/DE hybrid in round one. A solid pass catcher somewhere shortly after that (WR or TE), or a solid edge rusher. Then I want to load up on o-line. I think our best bet is consistent defense, consistent run game, and play action passing. 

Great view. Similar. For sure, we need to take a WR early, arguably no later than round 2 (e.g., WR George Pickens, Georgia). I'd like another Interior Olineman early (e.g., OG Zion Johnson, Boston College) so as to move Jenkins to RT. For the DL, I at least would like to see another pass rushing 3/5 tech DL (e.g., Logan Hall, Houston) to upgrade/replace what we had with Kingsley Keke, though an argument could be made to take another Edge player in the 1st or 2nd round (e.g., Boye Mafe, Minnesota) Also, we need another safety if not also CB. (e.g., S Nick Cross, Maryland intrigues me though he may go higher than our spot in round 4.) 

On 3/21/2022 at 8:02 PM, rthom348 said:

We don’t need any DC to lose sleep gameplanning for an individual at wideout. This can be a big blessing in disguise as it should force 12 to spread the ball around more and teams will have no beat on what we do or where 12 goes. The other side of it is that 12 needs people to actually get open consistently enough to where there aren’t a big increase in coverage sacks. When Rodgers throws on time and in rhythm, he’s a damn cheat code. He’s the best in the NFL when he can get that done. That’s not possible if guys can’t beat man coverage or find soft spots in zone. I want to see a power run offense with versatility (which we should be able to implement). Play action will be the biggest key this season. We’re likely going to lose games when we fall behind early. Luckily we kept almost our entire defense in tact. We’re gonna need em to play like they did in the divisional all year long. We should be very balanced this year. I’m eager to see it. 

I think the big question this season will be Amari Rodgers progression because no question he's going to need to take on a bigger role for the offense.  Then I guess there's the matter of whether or not you keep or release Cobb and Lewis.  Cobb I'm glad came back at least one more year but I feel like injuries and age have kind of taken their toll on him, and Lewis will be 38 in May, so I say get a younger faster TE who has better hands than that worthless Deguara and can actually step in for Tonyan if needed.

I agree the offense has the potential to surprise with us no longer having one guy sucking in about 70% of the pass targets and it kinda surprised me Rodgers was willing to stick around with him gone.  Hopefully we add one more burner guy opposite MVS and Lazard earns his big paycheck this year.

22 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I think the big question this season will be Amari Rodgers progression because no question he's going to need to take on a bigger role for the offense.  Then I guess there's the matter of whether or not you keep or release Cobb and Lewis.  Cobb I'm glad came back at least one more year but I feel like injuries and age have kind of taken their toll on him, and Lewis will be 38 in May, so I say get a younger faster TE who has better hands than that worthless Deguara and can actually step in for Tonyan if needed.

I agree the offense has the potential to surprise with us no longer having one guy sucking in about 70% of the pass targets and it kinda surprised me Rodgers was willing to stick around with him gone.  Hopefully we add one more burner guy opposite MVS and Lazard earns his big paycheck this year.

You do realize MVS signed with the Chiefs, right?

20 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I’d be shocked if Cobb or Lewis wasn’t on our final 53. Our receiving group needs more talent, for sure. But we also need that veteran leadership. I think they’re both safe. Not saying I’m high on Tyler Davis, but don’t sleep on him. I think he can spell for Tonyan. I think we need to just add and not subtract. 

On 3/21/2022 at 9:18 AM, Striker said:

There can be a bit of overanalysis going on at this point. Sure, there isn't a Ja'Marr Chase/Julio Jones/Calvin Johnson type seemingly in this draft, but there is a good amount of talent spread across R1/R2. However, when you have too much time, and depending on mindset, the weaknesses can become amplified.

I wouldn't say it's overanalyzing to say that a WR class without a true #1 WR isn't a great class.  It's a really good WR class.  You take Ja'Marr Chase out of last year's class, and last year's class looks SIGNIFICANTLY worse.

On 3/21/2022 at 9:48 AM, Scoremore said:

Agree looking for Gute to draft 2 probably more likely 3 WR.  One may be a PR/KR type.  We have a glaring hole now.  So you take multiple bites of the apple.  Really nothing in FA at all.  Gute may unearth one from the scrap heap later in the process. 

I think we're probably looking at 2 WRs via the draft.  One in the first 64 picks, and then one more somewhere in that late Day 2, early Day 3 range.  Maybe they grab one late in the draft, but from a roster standpoint you'll have a veteran WR added at some point, so you've got them, Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, Amari Rodgers, Rookie 1, and Rookie 2.  That's almost certainly going to be your WR room in 2022.

On 3/21/2022 at 6:45 PM, DWhitehurst said:

I think it's going to be largely based off where the tiers break down at.  The IDL class isn't barren, but it's not very strong.  You've got Jordan Davis as IDL1, and I think he's going to be atop most teams' boards.  That next tier of IDL (Wyatt, Leal, Winfrey, etc.) all have their warts, but the lack of big guys available probably mean they're likely going to be top 40 picks.  Those big guys are going to go off the board earlier then they should.  EDGE looks a bit deeper, but it's probably going to depend on how many EDGE go off the board before the Packers pick.  Obviously, Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, and Walker are almost certainly coming off the board in the first 10 picks.  Jermaine Johnson and George Karlaftis are probably off the board in that 11-20 range.  Boye Mafe probably is going to go off the board Day 1 after the his Combine results.  We're still waiting for the Pro Day numbers for Cameron Thomas.  You've got guys like Arnold Ebiketie, Sam Williams, etc. that are probably going to go off the board on Day 2.  But EDGE usually go faster then they're projected.  It wouldn't surprise me if they went EDGE/IDL with their first 2 picks, and then used one of their SRPs to grab a WR.  Walking away with Jordan Davis, Sam Williams, and George Pickens would be a pretty strong start to the draft.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think we're probably looking at 2 WRs via the draft.  One in the first 64 picks, and then one more somewhere in that late Day 2, early Day 3 range.  Maybe they grab one late in the draft, but from a roster standpoint you'll have a veteran WR added at some point, so you've got them, Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, Amari Rodgers, Rookie 1, and Rookie 2.  That's almost certainly going to be your WR room in 2022.

Nah FA market is devoid of talent.  Maybe we can engineer a trade or look after cut downs.  Pretty bleak out there.  Why I think the way I do.  At least 1 WR in the top 53  possibly 2 with the first 4 picks.  Don't know how anyone could be sold on Amari either.  They'll bring in competition for him too.  Even with Cobb and Rodgers we could still take that KR/PR slot type receiver in the middle rounds.  Nah think Gute is going to hit it early and often.  We'll see should be interesting.