Where does Baker Mayfield get traded to and how much does he go for? !Poll!

brownie man

Where does Baker get trade to and how much does he go for?   

162 members have voted

1. 1. What team trades for Baker?

• Seattle Seahawks
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Detroit Lions
    • Somewhere else

On 3/31/2022 at 2:27 PM, candyman93 said:

Just want an outsiders view, what’s the highest draft comp you’d give for Baker if you’re only paying 10 mil for him?

I think it just gets tricky with him because he's on the last year of his deal so you either have to extend him or tag him if you want to keep him. If I'm Seattle though I'd give up a third round pick and roll the dice for a year. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 4:27 PM, candyman93 said:

Just want an outsiders view, what’s the highest draft comp you’d give for Baker if you’re only paying 10 mil for him?

It's hard to set Baker's trade value now that manufacturers have  stopped making pole lamps.  The four teams that need a starting QB will likely be more inclined to take a rookie, not necessarily early, even if it involves going back to the well in 2023.  2022 is a weird year.

The market is really going to screw over the compensation. The best leverage that Cleveland has at this point is, "well, we just won't trade him"...which is good enough sometimes, but I'm just not sure it is this time given the cap hit they will carry for a backup QB if they don't move him off the books . I'm not sure where the market is for a guy coming off a terrible season who's had a largely meh 4 years in the league on the last year of his deal. Anyone acquiring him should 100% be looking at him as a short term bridge option. That should suppress compensation. 

Time isn't on Cleveland's side either....in a perfect world, you move him before the draft so that teams like Carolina and Seattle don't add to their QB room in the draft. But in order to expedite the trade, you have to give teams offers that they aren't willing to say no to. How do you do that? You lower the asking price. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

The market is really going to screw over the compensation. The best leverage that Cleveland has at this point is, "well, we just won't trade him"...which is good enough sometimes, but I'm just not sure it is this time given the cap hit they will carry for a backup QB if they don't move him off the books . I'm not sure where the market is for a guy coming off a terrible season who's had a largely meh 4 years in the league on the last year of his deal. Anyone acquiring him should 100% be looking at him as a short term bridge option. That should suppress compensation. 

Time isn't on Cleveland's side either....in a perfect world, you move him before the draft so that teams like Carolina and Seattle don't add to their QB room in the draft. But in order to expedite the trade, you have to give teams offers that they aren't willing to say no to. How do you do that? You lower the asking price. 

From a team view, Baker looked good in 2020 with a really good OL + running game.  What QB needy team fits that mold?

Paying a fully guaranteed 2022 salary and the likely situation Baker wants a fat contract beyond 2022 is not overly appealing when you need to give up draft picks to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Anyone acquiring him should 100% be looking at him as a short term bridge option. That should suppress compensation. 

And you have to pay that short term bridge option between $10-18M on a 1 year contract. If you want to bring him back you either have to pay him or franchise tag him which would cost like $29M for 2023, iirc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

From a team view, Baker looked good in 2020 with a really good OL + running game.  What QB needy team fits that mold?

Paying a fully guaranteed 2022 salary and the likely situation Baker wants a fat contract beyond 2022 is not overly appealing when you need to give up draft picks to do so.

Honestly, I feel like his 2020 season is overrated. He had a really nice back stretch of the season, but his first 10 games he averaged fewer than 200 yards per game, had 15 tds (and that included a 5td game) sub 90 rating, 7 picks. So when people talk about a really nice 2020, what they are really saying is that he had an awesome stretch of 6 games (well, 5 games...but the Jets games had some pretty sizeable extenuating circumstances, and you can sub the 5TD game in for that to say 6 really good games for the year). There's nothing wrong with that, but I really think that the season has been overly inflated in the narrative used to defend him (not that you're defending him, I'm speaking in a vacuum). 

And that's not to say that you don't want to give him credit for those good games on the back stretch, we should...but a shorter sample like that is subject to some significant variance (like a sub .5% int rate for a guy that has historically been around 3%). His career is largely buoyed by small stretches of wonderful play more so than long stretches of even above average to good play. 

His first 4 years is pretty comparable to Winston, who got the fifth year option, had a weird season, signed as a back up the following year. Trubisky did the same. Tannehill also had a comparable if slightly inferior first 4 years in the league and he got moved to ostensibly be veteran competition for Mariota

In a good market with demand, I think he definitely could have gotten a second / third, especially eating salary, but I just don't know where the demand push is coming from to drive the market. Optically he doesn't always come off all that great either. Having someone put out there that the Browns were looking for a grown up is not ideal. 

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

“We want someone who behaves like DeShaun Watson”

While this can be memed to death and quite funny... I'm sure they are talking about the lockerroom and overall personality on a football team. Watson does seem like much more of an adult when it comes to those things. Even Baker Mayfield's face looks like one big temper tantrum...

3 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Released and signing with Seattle on a prove it deal

The 5th year option is fully guaranteed now. They can pay him $18m to sit on their roster (+ potentially play whilst Watson is suspended), or they can cut him and pay him the $18m anyway. Highly doubt they cut him.

The only way they get out of any of his contract is a trade where they agree with the new team to eat some of the money. Even if they cut him, they get offset language but that just means no team will offer him any more than the veteran minimum.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

While this can be memed to death and quite funny... I'm sure they are talking about the lockerroom and overall personality on a football team. Watson does seem like much more of an adult when it comes to those things. Even Baker Mayfield's face looks like one big temper tantrum...

The Browns (Haslam) said that the statement was made up and didn't come from inside the Browns building.

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

The 5th year option is fully guaranteed now. They can pay him $18m to sit on their roster (+ potentially play whilst Watson is suspended), or they can cut him and pay him the $18m anyway. Highly doubt they cut him.

The only way they get out of any of his contract is a trade where they agree with the new team to eat some of the money. Even if they cut him, they get offset language but that just means no team will offer him any more than the veteran minimum.

Yeah that makes sense.

If I was Baker Mayfield's agent right now I'd be telling him to report to the Browns and be a consummate professional. As things stand, I'm not convinced anyone will sign him to a big contract in FA next year (He probably gets Trubisky/Mariota type money and an opportunity to be a bridge QB for a 2023 first round pick somewhere), however if he comes in during Watson's suspension and balls out, he puts himself in the shop window to break the bank in free agency next year.