Week 10 GDT: Bears vs. Packers

Madmike90

Chicago_Bears_Logo_Mike_Ditka_Superfan--vsd2ef0e032b01628c199cd4b49e67890e--packers-nfl-greenbay-packers.jpg

Week 10: Bears vs Packers - 12th of November 2017 - The Place...

Soldier-Field-35616.jpg

Players to Watch...

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-playerstowatch/Players-to-watch-Bears-Packers/78ebbee9-e42c-48c6-93da-b35c8137aa85

Mayer

Offense: Running back Jordan Howard
Jordan Howard Rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky and the Bears passing game figure to benefit from the addition of veteran receivers Dontrelle Inman and Markus Wheaton Sunday against Green Bay. Inman is expected to make his Bears debut after being acquired in a trade with the Chargers on Oct. 26, while Wheaton is practicing without limitations this week after missing the last three games with a groin injury. With that being said, the bread-and-butter of the Bears offense will remain the ground game, specifically Howard.

The second-year pro ranks eighth in the NFL in rushing with 662 yards and four touchdowns on 162 carries, and he has topped 100 yards three times in the last six games, including a career-high 167 yards on 36 attempts Oct. 15 in an overtime win over the Ravens in Baltimore. Howard gained 102 yards against the Saints two weeks ago in his 23rd career game, becoming the fastest player in Bears history to record 10 100-yard rushing performances.

Howard was limited to 53 yards on 18 carries in the first meeting with the Packers Sept. 28 at Lambeau Field, but the Bears fell behind 21-0 in the second quarter en route to a 35-14 loss and had to put the ball in the air. The Packers run defense is ranked 23rd in the NFL, allowing an average of 118.0 yards per game.

Defense: Cornerback Kyle Fuller
Kyle Fuller After missing all of last season with a knee injury, Fuller has returned with a vengeance, playing with confidence and a physicality that’s rare at the cornerback position. The 2014 first-round draft pick has emerged as one of the most reliable starters on an improved defense, leading the team with eight pass breakups and topping all defensive backs with 39 tackles.

Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio has also been impressed with Fuller’s running support, saying this week: “I like it a lot. You’ve got to be able to tackle on defense. You can’t afford to have any of your 11 guys out there that aren’t good tacklers, and he’s tackled well. That’s an important part of defense that we’re very passionate about and he’s done a good job with it.”

Although the Packers will play without injured star quarterback Aaron Rodgers Sunday, the Bears will need Fuller and the rest of their defensive backs to contain a talented Green Bay receiving corps that includes Davante Adams (37 receptions for 404 yards and 5 touchdowns), Randall Cobb (33-319-1) and Jordy Nelson (30-338-6).

With an inexperienced Brett Hundley starting at quarterback for the Packers, Fuller could have an opportunity to intercept his first pass of the season. His last pick came on Dec. 13, 2015 in a loss to the Redskins at Soldier Field.

Kaberon

Offense: Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky
Mitchell Trubisky There were positives and negatives in Trubisky’s Week 9 performance at New Orleans. The rookie quarterback threw for a career-high 164 yards while completing passes to seven different receivers. However, he also threw a costly fourth-quarter interception while completing only seven of his 20 attempts in the second half. That dropped his completion percentage to 47.5 on the season. Thankfully, the Bears had last weekend off, so Trubisky could go back and study his play, not only against the Saints, but in all four of his starts. He could see better where he’s had success and ways to prevent mistakes moving forward.

Versus Green Bay, Trubisky should be able to do some damage through the air. The Packers allow 7.01 yards per pass attempt, among the most in the NFL. Green Bay also is near the bottom of the league in sack percentage, taking down quarterbacks on just 5 percent of pass plays. Give Trubisky time, and he’s shown he can make plays both with his arm and legs. In three of their last four games, the Packers have allowed opponents to complete 69 percent or more of their passes. By reducing the inconsistencies that plagued him against the Saints versus a Green Bay defense suitable to the pass, Trubisky should once again be in position to set his career high in passing yards on Sunday.

Defense: Inside linebacker Christian Jones
Christian Jones With a calf strain limiting starter Danny Trevathan, Jones is in line to start his sixth game of the season. Jones has flashed the ability to be a playmaker, especially against the run, totaling 25 tackles and a forced fumble in Chicago’s last three games. That skill set to take down ballcarriers will be especially valuable versus the Packers, who have a running quarterback now. Brett Hundley has rushed for more than 8.0 yards per carry and scored two touchdowns as a fill-in for Aaron Rodgers, so Jones will want to make sure that Hundley doesn’t take off.

Jones also will need to keep track of Green Bay’s other rushers, including running backs Aaron Jones and Ty Montgomery. The Packers average 5.0 yards per carry this season when running it up the middle, a stat Jones will be well aware of. The Bears have done well limiting opponents running in that area of the field, thanks in large part to their speedy and attentive linebackers. Even if Trevathan isn’t able to play, Chicago’s defense should be in great shape because of the emergence of Jones as a standout option at that position.

Inman to Play...

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Inman-‘definitely-ready’-to-begin-contributing/3af4ebc8-2c1a-44fb-8bbb-c5ced187a003

With the bye week providing extra time to digest the offense and develop cohesiveness with quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, Dontrelle Inman is eager to make his Bears debut Sunday against the Packers.

The veteran receiver was acquired Oct. 26 in a trade with the Chargers in exchange for a conditional draft pick, but he did not play three days later versus the Saints after participating in only one practice.

"I'm definitely ready," Inman said Wednesday at Halas Hall. "I've put in the work. Mitch and I talk all the time. We just continue to build that bond and we continue to trust one another, so I'm excited for this week."

Inman spent the past four seasons with the Chargers, catching 107 passes for 1,463 yards and seven touchdowns while appearing in 41 games with 23 starts. He started all 16 games last year, setting career highs in all categories with 58 receptions for 810 yards and four touchdowns.

"He has the ability to catch the ball away from his body," said offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains. "Good hands, strong, very confident. You can feel how he's an intelligent guy, has some football instinct that way. They moved him around. He played outside, he played in the slot. Those are the things that really stood out."

Loggains has also been impressed with Inman's relentless work ethic. Since the moment the fifth-year pro arrived in Chicago, he has worked tirelessly to learn the Bears offense.

Leonard Floyd
New Bears wide receiver Dontrelle Inman warms up before the Bears played the Saints.

"He's the guy who is in my office at 6:30 in the morning wanting to go through plays," Loggains said. "It's also a guy that's been around a great quarterback in Philip Rivers [with the Chargers]. So he can help Mitchell, give him a tip here and there.

"I've encouraged Mitchell, ‘Hey, pick his brain. He's been around one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL and you can learn a lot from that guy. He does everything the right way. He's a great competitor. So pick his brain and ask him questions. He has a good football IQ.'"

Inman has honed that football IQ by regularly arriving at work before the sun arises, a routine he began to follow in his second season with the Chargers in 2015.

"The player who taught me how to be a student of the game was [safety] Eric Weddle," Inman said. "Eric Weddle challenged me to come in and work out with him at 5:30 one day. I got there at six. He looked at me and shook his head and said, ‘You still want to be average.

"So I began to create that work ethic from him, and he's taught me a whole lot—you get in, you get your work done, you study your film, and your body's prepared for the day. That's one thing that I learned a couple years ago."

That type of preparation has put Inman in position to help bolster a Bears passing offense that ranks dead last in the NFL, averaging just 157.5 yards per game.

"I think it's been plenty of time for him," said coach John Fox. "He's a veteran guy. He's had opportunities to throw live with Mitch and the other quarterbacks. I think he's got a good grasp of what we're doing now and what's expected of him."

The Bears hope that the 6-3, 205-pounder brings a different element to their offense. Asked to assess Inman, Trubisky said: "A smart player, likes to study the game, a really hard worker studying the offense. He's picked up things really quickly around here. Bigger guy, so easier to throw to, uses his body well, great hands and we're just looking forward to adding him to the rest of the receiving corps."

In the Numbers...

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Where-Bears-stack-up-in-NFL-rankings/01ed9d06-58b2-4c03-8bb5-67942e714d9d

The Bears return to action Sunday against the Packers after their bye week ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in several team and individual categories. Here’s how they stack up:

Offense

• Sixth in rushing yards (130.1). The Bears, who slipped two spots during their bye week, trail only the Jaguars, Cowboys, Eagles, Texans and Rams. The Bears have ranked in the top-10 in rushing yards the past four weeks. On Sunday they’ll face a Packers defense that ranks 25th overall and 23rd against the run.
  • Tenth in rushing yards per carry (4.3). The running game has been buoyed by four runs of at least 46 yards this season: Jordan Howard rushes of 53 yards in Baltimore and 50 yards in New Orleans; a Mitchell Trubisky 46-yard scramble in New Orleans; and a 46-yard run by Tarik Cohen in the season opener against the Falcons.
Jordan Howard
Bears running back Jordan Howard runs through a Panthers tackle.

Defense

• Eighth in total yards allowed (312.0). The Bears trail only the Panthers, Broncos, Jaguars, Vikings, Steelers, Bengals and Ravens. The Bears have already played four of those teams, which may be part of the reason they rank only 29th in total offense.
  • Tenth in yards per play (5.0). The Bears slipped one spot during their bye week, barely remaining in the top-10. They’ll face a Packers offense Sunday that ranks 23rd in the NFL in total yards and is missing future Hall of Fame quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who is sidelined indefinitely with a broken collarbone.
  • Tied for ninth in sacks (23). The teams ahead of the Bears are the Jaguars, Panthers, Cowboys, Steelers, Chargers, Rams, Eagles and Vikings.
  • Eighth in yards allowed on first down plays (4.7 yards). The only teams ahead of the Bears are the Ravens, Steelers, Browns, Eagles, Bengals, Seahawks and Cowboys.
  • Ninth in red-zone touchdown percentage (48.1). The Bears have allowed 13 touchdowns on 27 red-zone trips this season. After permitting 11 TDs on 20 possessions over their first five games, they have yielded only two TDs on seven drives the past two contests.

Individual players

• Running back Jordan Howard
    • Fifth in rushing yards (662). The second-year pro trails the Chiefs’ Kareem Hunt (800), the Cowboys’ Ezekiel Elliott (783), the Steelers’ Le’Veon Bell (760) and the Rams’ Todd Gurley (686).
    • Ninth in yards from scrimmage (740). Howard has rushed for 662 yards on 162 carries and caught 14 passes for 78 yards.
    • Tied for seventh in first downs (38). Howard has picked up 36 first downs rushing and two receiving.
  • Akiem Hicks
    • Tied for 10th in sacks (7.0). Hicks has matched his career high set last season with the Bears.
  • Pat O’Donnell
    • Sixth in gross punting (48.2). O’Donnell also averaged 48.2 yards last year, which was his best average in four seasons with the Bears.

Stat Leaders...

Passing - Mitch Trubisky 512 yards 2 TDs - 2 INTs vs. Brett Hundley 489 yards 1 TDs - 4 INT

Rushing - Jordan Howard 662 Yards 4 TDs - Aaron Jones 358 yards 3 TDs

Receiving - Kendall Wright 259 yards 1 TD vs. Davante Adams 404 yards 5 TD.

Tackles - Danny Trevathan 52 tackles vs. Blake Martinez 74 tackles.

Sacks - Akiem Hicks 7 sacks vs. Nick Perry 4 sacks.

INTs - Amos/Callahan/Jackson/Trevathan 1 INT vs. Damarious Randall 3 INT.

Injury Report...

Bears...

Name Position Injury Practice Status Game Status
Bryce Callahan CB -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Dion Sims TE -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Cody Whitehair C -- Full Participation in Practice --
Danny Trevathan LB -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Markus Wheaton WR -- Limited Participation in Practice --
John Timu LB -- Full Participation in Practice --
Sherrick McManis CB -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Tom Compton T -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Hroniss Grasu C -- Full Participation in Practice --
Kyle Long G -- Limited Participation in Practice --
Roy Robertson-Harris DE -- Did Not Participate In Practice --

Packers...

Name Position Injury Practice Status Game Status
Ahmad Brooks LB -- Limited Participation in Practice --
Justin McCray G -- Limited Participation in Practice --
Quinton Dial DT -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Morgan Burnett S -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Martellus Bennett TE -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Lane Taylor G -- Full Participation in Practice --
Bryan Bulaga T -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Nick Perry LB -- Limited Participation in Practice --
Joe Thomas LB -- Limited Participation in Practice --

Coaching Matchup...

John Fox - Career record - 131-117 (.528) vs. Mike McCarthy - Career Record - 118-65 (.644)

Great pregame wrapup, looking forward to this one.

I have been a Bears fan for a while, but that still does not give me any standards for evaluating a QB. Realistically, when will we be able to tell if MT is any good?  It seems possible that this season won't answer that;  if he wins a bunch of games it might not be due to passing play, if he stinks it's easy to write off due to WR's and gameplanning.  I guess the question is: should we be panicking or getting our superbowl 2018 hats embroidered? 

So I will kick off the war of words here. If the Bears win tomorrow, the retort will be that it only happened because of Rodgers' absence.

Who cares.

For quite a few years now, the Packers have been a horribly mediocre team whose incompetence has been almost completely masked by Rodgers. The latter makes them a perennial playoff team, and the former prevents them from winning a Super Bowl. Few have wanted to acknowledge this, but it deserves to be exposed.

I've spent a decade maddened by watching the Bears lose to the Packers solely because of one guy. I know Lions and Vikings fans have felt the same way. The Packers deserve to suck, not only because of how big of a house of cards that organization is, but also because they've only had two losing seasons since 1992. Their fans, who are throughly convinced the Packers are supposed to alway be good just because, are overdue for pain, heartache, and frustration, and I wish endless amounts of it on them.

Suck it, Packers.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

So I will kick off the war of words here. If the Bears win tomorrow, the retort will be that it only happened because of Rodgers' absence.

Who cares.

For quite a few years now, the Packers been a horribly mediocre team whose incompetence has been almost completely masked by Rodgers. The latter makes them a perennial playoff team, and the former prevents them from winning a Super Bowl. Few have wanted to acknowledge this, but it deserves to be exposed.

I've spent a decade maddened by watching the Bears lose to the Packers solely because of one guy. I know Lions and Vikings fans have felt the same way. The Packers deserve to suck, not only because of how big of a house of cards that organization is, but also because they've only had two losing seasons since 1992. Their fans, who are throughly convinced the Packers are supposed to alway be good just because, are overdue for pain, heartache, and frustration, and I wish endless amounts of it on them.

Suck it, Packers.

Cosigned. 

Coming off bye

Biscuit will be much further along with # of plays coaches feel comfortable to call ...and willing to take more chances in passing game 

Whackers are ALL Arod, Mcarthy supremely overrated

Bears win comfortably 

22 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Who cares.

For quite a few years now, the Packers have been a horribly mediocre team whose incompetence has been almost completely masked by Rodgers. The latter makes them a perennial playoff team, and the former prevents them from winning a Super Bowl. Few have wanted to acknowledge this, but it deserves to be exposed.

Suck it, Packers.

Image result for preach gif

Archived