You're on the clock....

Dcash4

I just ran through through first 19 picks choosing each teams player by using my own thoughts, their depth chart, and just a plethora of googling mock drafts. Here's the result:

1.1 Jaguars             Travon Walker, Edge, UGA
1.2 Lions                 Aidan Hutchinson, Edge, UM
1.3 Houston            Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NCSU
1.4 NY Jets             Jahman Gardner, CB, Cinci
1.5 NY Giants         Evan Neal, OT, Bama
1.6 Carolina            Desmond Ridder, QB, Cinci
1.7 NY Giants         Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, UO
1.8 Atlanta              Garrett Wilson WR, OSU
1.9 Seattle              Malik Willis QB, Liberty
1.10 NY Jets           Drake London, WR, USC
1.11 Washington     Kyle Hamilton, S, ND
1.12 Minnesota       Derek Stingley Jr, CB, LSU
1.13 Houston          Jermaine Johnson, Edge, FSU
1.14 Baltimore        Jordan Davis, IDL, UGA
1.15 Philadelphia    Andrew Booth Jr, CB, Clemson
1.16 New Orleans   Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
1.17 LA Chargers   Charles Cross, OT, Miss St
1.18 Philadelphia    Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah
1.19 New Orleans   Jameson Williams, WR, Bama
1.20 Pittsburgh

Now you are on the clock. Looking for two answers (which can be the same answer). 

1) Who would you pick based on Pro Day visits (Colbert and/or Tomlin attending). 

2) Who would you want to pick regardless of visits?

No trading. 

Visits list:
- Georgia
- Clemson
- Michigan
- Pitt
- Liberty
- Ole Miss
- Cincinati
- Notre Dame
- North Carolina
- Duke
- NC State
- LSU

This is a hard pick....because I don't think I really want anyone - or their position - at this pick. My choices are pretty much the Georgia crew: Wyatt, Cine, and Dean, Daxton Hill from Michigan, or one of the QB's. George Pickens is a definite possibility too. I think this is too high for him, but could be. 

Pro Day Pick: Daxton Hill, S, Michigan

Not in love with it, but I think he is a good player. Hopefully, kinda breaks the Michigan defender trend. But smooth in coverage. Athletic. Can line up deep or in the slot. Fits nicely. 

Now the second pick, I also hate....because there's too many guys I want. Chris Olave is screaming to be picked. I love Zion Johnson and Linderbaum. Im sure many would say overdraft, but I would take Jahan Dotson in a heartbeat at 20 if push came to shove. Treylon Burks isn't my favorite, but I think he can be a nice pro with the right system/OC. I think Kaiir Elam is going to be good too. 

My Pick: Chris Olave, WR, OSU

Immediately steps into the slot. Insurance against DJ walking at the X. Going to be a route running monster at the next level. If he wasn't here, I probably go Dotson. 

I REALLY think they're going to force a QB pick.  So......

1): Matt Corral: Sorry, but in this scenario that's who I see.  

2): I could see the board falling this way. WR is a popular choice but I'll switch it up.  Devonte Wyatt DL Georgia. He can play up and down the line and become a chess piece with Heyward and Tuitt on or off the field.  Not a sexy pick by any means but an effective one.  Then I cross my fingers and pray that WRs like Metchie/Watson/Pickens/Shakir make it to #52. 

1. I agree with Chief, but my gut tells me they really like Sam Howell. So that’s who I think they take in this situation. A surprise pick here could be George Pickens though.

2. I think I would take Kenyon Green. They’ve made improvements on the OL, but I hope they don’t view it as a finished product. Green has experience at every spot along the line except Center, and I think he’d be an immediate upgrade for us at 3 of those 4 spots. I would consider Tyler Smith here too, as well as some of the WRs.

12 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Pro day pick: Nakobe Dean ILB Georgia

My pick: Chris Olave, WR, OSU

And I think Walker falls further than people think.

I too was thinking of Dean for Pro day pick but that that would mean they are admitting that Bush was a colossal bust. I'm not sure they are willing to do that. 

Honestly George Karlaftis Purdue Edge would probably be my highest rated player if I just followed my board. Having TJ and Highsmith doesn't make this as huge a priority as some of the players are also ranked as 1A, 1B, 1C or 2A, 2B, 2C in my book.

I believe that the Steelers have to build and win in the trenches. I have Stephone Tuitt concerns, Cam Heyward is getting up there and no true NG/IDL.  I am not sold on my RT and despite optimism on the LT, he could also have a sophomore slump as Kevin Dotson did.  

I would be trying to trade down if I could with someone who prioritized an Edge or another player honestly. I would be making calls from pick 24 -32 and hope someone wants someone badly in spot an dis fearful that another team would select their player ( a la the Jets when they jumped the Steelers to select Darrelle Revis).

Cine and Hill are very tempting, but I would love to have a shot selecting them at a lower pick and  picking up an additional draft pick.  This draft has more depth than super star quality. 

I would have the following to select from:

George Karlaftis Purdue Edge

Trevor Penning OT Northern Iowa

Tyler Linderbaum C Iowa

Zion Johnson IOL BC

Lewis Cine S UGA

Dax Hill S Michigan

DeVonte Wyatt DL UGA

Trent McDuffie CB Washington

Who I would select in this scenario if I had to stay put and make the pick is: Trevor Penning OT Northern Iowa. Not a sex pick, but one that will pay dividends going forward. Nasty attitude and mauling style will help our franchise RB and help at QB. A good rushing attack is a QB's best friend.  The QB's are overvalued. Yes there is a need, but when you overdraft based on need it typically burns you. I do not want Artie Burns or Terrell Edmunds at QB.  The players catch heat for not responding like #1 pick. Howell, Coral, and any other QB is not worth the value here. Howell was Mitch's backup I believe and I didn't like Mitch being over-drafted by the Bears. 

He doesn't need to be rushed in to play like they did Kendrick Green last year. Let him play some as the 6th OL or as a blocking TE/OT to gain some experience. He will need to develop his game for the next level. I see him as a poor man's Taylor Lewan whom I loved coming out as well. That's not an insult, but Penning is not as gifted as Lewan, but he is every bit as nasty and competitive. He has the attitude and temperament that I would want to instill in the Steelers going forward. No more being called "SOFT" OL's!

Who I think the Steelers would select is: In this scenario, they would probably take Safety Lewis Cine or Safety Dax Hill whichever they have rated highest. They both check the Tom/bert boxes. 

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Penning is massively overrated. His "nasty"  translates to "grabby" and  "has bad technique." I'm not sure I trust us to develop someone as raw as Penning. 

I watched what was like a 4 minute clip on twitter of him and all of his "nasty" came after the play was done and would border more on being a jerk because he got his butt whooped than having a nasty demeanor. 

Gonna be a perfect Raven at RT lining up across from Watt!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I watched what was like a 4 minute clip on twitter of him and all of his "nasty" came after the play was done and would border more on being a jerk because he got his butt whooped than having a nasty demeanor. 

Gonna be a perfect Raven at RT lining up across from Watt!

Exactly. He's nasty like Chris Kemoeatu was nasty. 

• Like 1