Richard Sherman ruptures Achilles

everlong

7 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Players want to play, he didn't know his achilles was going to rupture. You can't fault the player here. This was a division game and the Seahawks are not in a position, especially with Earl Thomas out, to be losing more secondary pieces because they wanted to rest a few more days.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and obviously it's easy to say he should've rested now that he's gone for the year, but he didn't even appear on the injury report until Wednesday.

A better solution: This wouldn't have happened if TNF wasn't a thing, or just featured two teams coming off byes instead.

idk how to multi quote but according to ram rod on page one he

"figured it would rupture eventually"

44 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

idk how to multi quote but according to ram rod on page one he

"figured it would rupture eventually"

Okay let's assume this is true. Sherman knows eventually it's going to rupture and there's not much he can do to prevent it. What are your options?

1. Not play, and hope your team can cover in your absence, which you have no idea how long that's gonna be.

2. Maybe just take one week off and see how it feels the week after?

3. Keep playing and hope for the best.

I don't know what Sherman did, or who he consulted to arrive at decision #3, even if it is true that he figured it would rupture and just said screw it. Maybe he was arrogant and ignored medical advice to rest it, I'm not sure.

Either way, without knowing what went into his decision, it seems off-base to immediately jump to blaming him for wanting to play in a divisional matchup in a year where his team can't really afford to have any more of it's star players sit out and risk losing games.

8 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Okay let's assume this is true. Sherman knows eventually it's going to rupture and there's not much he can do to prevent it. What are your options?

1. Not play, and hope your team can cover in your absence, which you have no idea how long that's gonna be.

2. Maybe just take one week off and see how it feels the week after?

3. Keep playing and hope for the best.

I don't know what Sherman did, or who he consulted to arrive at decision #3, even if it is true that he figured it would rupture and just said screw it. Maybe he was arrogant and ignored medical advice to rest it, I'm not sure.

Either way, without knowing what went into his decision, it seems off-base to immediately jump to blaming him for wanting to play in a divisional matchup in a year where his team can't really afford to have any more of it's star players sit out and risk losing games.

If he thinks it's about to rupture, he (or the doc) should have rested it. Sit out until it feels normal again. The risk of playing on it, well, you've seen the result. 

I don't believe him anyway. Or, he kept that information back. They have regular meeting with their doctors, and you've seen from the Bennett thread how draconian the doctors are - anything that doesn't feel right, they are sat. Players have to try and convince them to let them play. 

Archived