Around the NFL - 2022 edition

Forge

I was listening to 49ers talk elsewhere, and a name for a potential replacement kicker that came up was Mason Crosby. Green Bay might resign him, but if they don't I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers try to get him on board. As much as I'm personally intrigued by the prospect of getting a rookie kicker for years to come potentially like Jake Moody, my gut tells me that with a championship window, Shanahan, and Lynch would rather have a veteran with a proven track record even if he's a bit long in the tooth. Crosby to my surprise has never even made a Pro Bowl appearance, but he's been a steady kicker for the Packers for around 15 years playing in a lot of big games. At worst I'd be indifferent about it. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I was listening to 49ers talk elsewhere, and a name for a potential replacement kicker that came up was Mason Crosby. Green Bay might resign him, but if they don't I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers try to get him on board. As much as I'm personally intrigued by the prospect of getting a rookie kicker for years to come potentially like Jake Moody, my gut tells me that with a championship window, Shanahan, and Lynch would rather have a veteran with a proven track record even if he's a bit long in the tooth. Crosby to my surprise has never even made a Pro Bowl appearance, but he's been a steady kicker for the Packers for around 15 years playing in a lot of big games. At worst I'd be indifferent about it. 

I would be pretty bummed out if we landed on Crosby. He's super inconsistent. My mom and sister are Packers fans and I have definitely heard about his troubles for some time now. 

I'd definitely rather take a chance on a rookie kicker like Moody than paying more for a kicker who has shown that he can be inconsistent and has had some downright terrible for stretches.  

• Like 1

I don't know I'd this is credible, but if would make sense when you look at their other moves. 

No clue on how I feel about the Niners possible making the move. Qe all know Shanny was jealous when McVay got him, and it would make for a smooth transition to Purdy eventually.. but the injuries are troubling to say the least.

Now if Donald is available... would it even matter who our QB is? 😂

3 minutes ago, adamq said:

I don't know I'd this is credible, but if would make sense when you look at their other moves. 

No clue on how I feel about the Niners possible making the move. Qe all know Shanny was jealous when McVay got him, and it would make for a smooth transition to Purdy eventually.. but the injuries are troubling to say the least.

the-goon-letterkenny.gif

5 minutes ago, adamq said:

If i were Donald id be pissed and probably retire……if this is true the Rams will be in full rebuild mode.

37 minutes ago, adamq said:

Almost no chance its' real. He got a 68 million dollar signing bonus last year, which immediately means that they would have 48 million in dead money this year. We are talking about completely throwing the season out the window in that situation. That's like 20% of their overall cap and 28 million more than it costs to keep him around. 

When you consider he's 35 years old or whatever with a major elbow concern, it's not like the trade value is going to make it worth it for them in terms of compensation 

*Edit*

Signing bonus was a typo. It's 60, not 68

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Almost no chance its' real. He got a 68 million dollar signing bonus last year, which immediately means that they would have 48 million in dead money this year. We are talking about completely throwing the season out the window in that situation. That's like 20% of their overall cap and 28 million more than it costs to keep him around. 

When you consider he's 35 years old or whatever with a major elbow concern, it's not like the trade value is going to make it worth it for them in terms of compensation 

Sure glad the Rams beat us to the punch on that trade.

8 hours ago, GW21 said:

I would be pretty bummed out if we landed on Crosby. He's super inconsistent. My mom and sister are Packers fans and I have definitely heard about his troubles for some time now. 

I'd definitely rather take a chance on a rookie kicker like Moody than paying more for a kicker who has shown that he can be inconsistent and has had some downright terrible for stretches.  

That reminds me that the '94 49ers SB team had Doug Brien a rookie kicker. Maybe that's been the missing piece to the puzzle :)

We'll just forget that Brien was a hideous kicker for the most part as a 49er. 

46 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

That reminds me that the '94 49ers SB team had Doug Brien a rookie kicker. Maybe that's been the missing piece to the puzzle :)

We'll just forget that Brien was a hideous kicker for the most part as a 49er. 

lol, too young to remember him, but I do remember those stretches where Crosby was absolute trash. I think his inconsistency and the fact he’d probably cost at double of a mid to late round rookie, I’ll take my chances with the rookie if those are the two options.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I think you are right about the fact John and Kyle won't want to break in a rookie kicker, but I am not sure Crosby is the answer. He has had some games where he misses 3+ kicks. When its bad, it's very very bad. Would rather pay up for Gould at that point.