Around the NFL - 2022 edition

Forge

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

And, like. You have Deebo. You have Aiyuk. Deebo does most of what Moore does already and you are paying him well to do so. Aiyuk takes care of the rest. I love Moore, too. Enjoyed his game coming out. I think he fits us. But I think he would have been a fit if we had traded Deebo in the offseason. 

Definitely agree. For the price point, too much. 

The only reason I'm okay with getting CMC is that I think he offers a big boost at rb and some good versatility (50% RB, 30% slot?). He also costs 1m this year, can be restructured with minimal long term repercussions next year, giving another cheap year, and I don't think there's a real premium cost to acquire him in terms of picks.  A couple of thirds max? That's cheap in finances and assets for potentially the best RB in the league

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Definitely agree. For the price point, too much. 

The only reason I'm okay with getting CMC is that I think he offers a big boost at rb and some good versatility (50% RB, 30% slot?). He also costs 1m this year, can be restructured with minimal long term repercussions next year, giving another cheap year, and I don't think there's a real premium cost to acquire him in terms of picks.  A couple of thirds max? That's cheap in finances and assets for potentially the best RB in the league

That would be a huge boost at the position.  A couple of thirds would certainly be worth the cost, in my opinion he might even be worth a 2nd rounder.   I would worry about how much money he makes and the cap hit, but just a 1M hit this year is NBD, and we can worry about the cost next year.  I think this team needs something to give it a jolt.  Things just feel a little stale and predictable.  

This is a great year to put a little extra in and make a run.  We spend top 100 picks on RB a lot, this would just be a safe bet with the pick.  For me, it would just come down to guaranteed money, and whether the team could absorb it.

26 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I would rather have pick 30 +17million over Moore.  If I were the panthers they might want to get a guy at a more impactful position, who is younger and can grow with the team.  Or package picks to get a franchise QB, or trade/buy a franchise signal caller.  You never know what bad football teams are going to do.  

Remember what we got Trent Williams for peanuts.  Deandre Hopkins. 

Its kind of hard to discount the importance of the receiver position at the current point in time. Its pretty impactful. Especially when you're going to be bringing in a young franchise QB and you quite literally have nothing else. If they trade Moore, they have nothing in terms of skill players. CMC has a really good shot at being gone. Robbie Anderson certainly is (this year or in the off season...his cap hit jumps to 22 million next year). Terrace Marshall is not a thing. They have no tight end. Take away those two and then trade DJ Moore, you have a receiver group that is worse than Chicago by a decent margin. Look at how Diggs helped unlock Josh Allen. Its important to have those pieces. Moore is 25 years old. His prime should be expected to go on 5 more years or so. That would be fine with a rebuilding team if they wanted to just keep him. 

So yeah, maybe they will trade him, but it's going to be because someone gave them an offer that was too good to say no to, not a third and a sixth. The demand alone should push him over that kind of return.  Trading guys like him or Brian Burns doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you are getting a return that makes it worth your while and you dedicate to straight up just burning it down.  They've already paid him 20 million of his new deal. His contract moving forward is 3/52 which is a little over 17 a year. An absurdly good rate for a receiver of his quality and he's locked up for three years. Most importantly, they don't have to trade him. That is a whole lot of leverage there. 

Hopkins wanted a new deal for 27 million. Trent was a one year rental without a franchise tag option who hadn't played in over a year and had a say in where he would be traded. There is usually a lot of context into why those markets get depressed. Antonio Brown (crazy), Julio (health, money, declining play).  Money (from a player performance standpoint or a roster construction standpoint), age, declining play, health, limited demand usually sourced to one of the preceding. It's very rare that a trade inexplicably comes in way under market without making some sort of sense.  None of these things are really applicable to DJ Moore as far as I am aware. They are selling at the top of the market. Now, if Moore just up and starts being a malcontent and demands a trade and all that good stuff, I could certainly see his market take a little bit of a hit. Or if he starts demanding a new deal for any trade (this seems really unlikely given he just signed), then I could see it for sure. 

If he gets moved for less than a first and it didn't involve a decent number of picks overall (say instead of a late first they take a second + fourth + future 3rd and 6th from a team who will be picking too high to give up their first?)  I would be extremely surprised. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Jackson remaining salary is about 3.5 for this year. 

Under contract next season at 12.75. Nothing currently guaranteed (Roster bonus guaranatees 3rd day of league year) 

That would be an interesting pickup, especially with Moseley injury and him being an unrestricted FA next year, though we could get him back for a cheap one year prove it deal…..but will he be the same? ACL’s, while recovery from the injury has improved over the last few years, are still tricky and it sometimes takes two seasons to get fully healed from that

Jackson and Mooney would give us probably the best CB tandem In the league for the next couple years though.

BUT! Do we wanna spend that money, especially with big contracts coming up this off-season and the young/talented CB’s we still have on the roster for cheap?

I dunno, not that I can think of many more needs, but seems unlikely. If we are all in this year after the next few weeks, I say yes…..if we start losing, then it’s more of a question

Edited by P_locniners

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Another lawsuit filed against Watson

It's probably impossible for him to go back and offer settlements to every woman he did this to.. it was so frequent and in his deluded mind he never did anything wrong. I bet there will be even more

Edited by adamq

4 hours ago, adamq said:

It's probably impossible for him to go back and offer settlements to every woman he did this to.. it was so frequent and in his deluded mind he never did anything wrong. I bet there will be even more

Which makes the Browns look absolutely stupid.

But hey, what's new?

• Like 1

If we were to do a deal with the Panthers, I’d like to go after: 

•  Brian Burns: this is a pretty obvious move. I also like Gross-Matos, but not sure he provides anything that’s different from our other depth guys. Amare Barno could be a fun cheap project for Kocurek. 
  • Matt Iodonnis: we could use some interior depth.
  • Ian Thomas: he could be a fun pairing with Kittle in 2 TE sets and could also be decent insurance for Kittle’s next injury. 
  • Tommy Tremble: he was a draft crush of mine and could be a lot of fun in our offense. Also would be nice depth in the TE room. 

I love Jeremy Chinn, but I can’t see him being available even if he wasn’t on the IR. 

• Like 1

Given how dynamic CMC looked today, and how many teams are into him, he's probably going to be out of our price range if we are interested. I could see that getting to to a second rounder+

We may need to make a push on William Jackson now with ward hurt though. 

Or resign Josh Norman

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Given how dynamic CMC looked today, and how many teams are into him, he's probably going to be out of our price range if we are interested. I could see that getting to to a second rounder+

We may need to make a push on William Jackson now with ward hurt though. 

Or resign Josh Norman

I think the talent pool on defense is pretty good across the board.  I thought Thomas and Womack would play better, but next week is a new week.  But the offense just needs a spark, something that gives us something new, different, and/or exciting.  The guy also has to work within the 20 yards of the field Jimmy prefers.  But a dynamic pass catching 2nd TE, or a really fast RB, a gnarly mismatch at 3rd WR (even though we still kinda have that with Jennings) but the offense just feels stale and stagnant.  It's like everyone knows what's coming, and it works sometimes.