Pick 1 - #13 Overall - DT Jordan Davis

Kiltman

Bleacher Report talked about a story about how in the SEC championship he was getting stood up and gassed from fighting with those Bama guys, so he got on the treadmill and upped his conditioning more to not let it happen again in the playoffs.

Pairing that with him continuing to work on his body throughout the process is something he hopefully keeps up. The treadmill thing is more impressive because a lot of guys tap the breaks and relax a little bit then.

39 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I wonder how much the Eagles plan to use Milton Williams at DE? They did announce him last year at the draft as a DE. 

This pick plus the Reddick signing really signifies so much more 3-4 looks

Makes you wonder huh?

I know Gannon wanted to be multiple with his front and I didn't really understand why the Eagles "supposedly" had a lot of interest in guys like Nik Bonitto and DeAngelo Malone, because they are more in the mold of Reddick. If we were to take one of them, then it would mean A LOT more 3-4 looks.

52 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I wonder how much the Eagles plan to use Milton Williams at DE? They did announce him last year at the draft as a DE. 

This pick plus the Reddick signing really signifies so much more 3-4 looks 

Kelce talked about Gannon’s desire to do 5 man fronts and have a bigger body on a 4i

X                                              Z
           O  O  X  O  O  Y              
C       E    3    N    4i    $         C
              W/S     M
                                      S
          DS                     

roughly that, 

E - Edge, you wanna put Sweat or Barnett here. Beat the OT, set the edge.

3 - 3t shaded outside, weak side. Fletch only needs to be in synch with the backer. Often schemes like Schwartz just let the DT choose and LB has to react. Hargrave can play all 3 spots.

N - this is where Davis would play. Can be a Zero / head up on the center or shaded towards the strong side. It’s easy to see in this alignment what throwing an industrial fridge into that part of their oline might do. Mike backer is un covered unless they do a great job beating the Nose and passing him off.

4i - Shade that edge/DT hybrid inside the tackle. Milton is a good fit here, you can have BG do this too on the flip side. You clog the two easier holes strong side for them to run through, and also put people right in preferred throwing lanes

$ - Sam / Joker. whatever you want to call it this is Reddick’s role finally helping shape the scheme like they want. You get that elite pass rusher on the TE, so often they’ll get a chance to come freely. Can do some funky stuff with slants with the 4i, which is why you want a more athletic and willing hybrid type there. But you see how this can kill an offense trying get free releases of their TE, like sure how ahead, Reddick is in the QBs face….OT gonna stop him? Good luck to the guard who has a winnable block but now just had to abandon his center to deal with Jordan Davis in his on with a shade disadvantage. JD’s first step could be killer here, like even if he never becomes a sack artist, you are starting in the Quarterback’s pocket. If they try to do play action passes it’s blown up right away.

W/S - Weakside backer or Slot, this is where things can change depending how their backfield looks. If a slot is there or you want to keep two deep safeties, really Maddox would come in over them. This is also why you get a converted safety in White to do this, so you aren’t caught off guard or in as bad of a spot in hurry up situations. LB needs to be rangy and athletic enough to help with contain. If the nose is doing his job this guy just gets to hunt.

M - MLB, needs to be able to read and cut through gap. Edwards is the guy for now, but look for them to build this out more with competition. Guy has to be at least somewhat rangy but still strong in a hole.

C - Corners have help up top most of the time 

DS - one Safety really just stays deep and helps lower the play ceiling and keep big gains down. 

S - the other safety will also be doing stuff in deep coverage, but will have other responsibilities for adjusting to the offense. Ideally you want these guys to do both so they can just split the field the whole day.

a couple different permutations but I believe that’s the aim. That Will/Slot will have to rove to where they are needed. If they are out the biggest weakness of this is the MLB has two holes they might need to address. Having good guys up from make that job way easier.

But you look at this and you see

A) That Reddick role that was so underdeveloped can thrive with a worthy player

B) Why they’d value Davis so highly, if this is truly the scheme they want to run, Davis is the big cog that makes this machine go.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Bleacher Report talked about a story about how in the SEC championship he was getting stood up and gassed from fighting with those Bama guys, so he got on the treadmill and upped his conditioning more to not let it happen again in the playoffs.

Pairing that with him continuing to work on his body throughout the process is something he hopefully keeps up. The treadmill thing is more impressive because a lot of guys tap the breaks and relax a little bit then.

Yep. He obviously put in a lot of work before the combine to come there in the best shape possible.

Something that soured me a bit on Treylon Burks was learning that not only did he weigh over 240 lbs before his combine training and had to work his way back to his playing weight of 225 before the combine and that could've been part of the reason he ran slower than expected. But, then I learned that Burks also was around 240 lbs DURING the season this year. I know he was 225 lbs when he came out of HS as the #1 recruit in Arkansas and country boys can put on weight quick... still it made me sour a little bit on him, cause that's just not ideal. The fact Reagor a similar YAC guy we coveted came to camp this year out of shape made me more wary of him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Been interesting listening to some of the reporters who know what the scheme was supposed to be, react to how much Davis fixes it. If they can have another CB they don’t need to athletically babysit like they did with Steven Nelson, defense will look very very different. Hassan is a big wrinkle too.

It was really hard trying to predict which defensive players the Eagles were into solely because we really have no idea what Gannon wants to exactly do yet. It def seemed last year he was playing as vanilla as possible to keep the game close instead of really leaning into his philosophies. That easily could have been because of personnel. Things look like their starting to evolve in a very ambiguous set with a lot of curveballs being able to be thrown. Getting exciting. Good breakdown by the way. 

• Like 1

Damn… he called it back during the college season. I guess that’s why he used to be a scout for the Eagles.

From March (NFL Combine)

One month after his combine tweet.

Lmao…. and more athletic 

Lmao… I thought it was hard for me not to just tell you who the pick would be, cause I was so excited. He definitely know even during the regular season that they had heart eyes for Davis. 

That comparison 😂😂😭

Glad we got our guy 😎

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

It was really hard trying to predict which defensive players the Eagles were into solely because we really have no idea what Gannon wants to exactly do yet. It def seemed last year he was playing as vanilla as possible to keep the game close instead of really leaning into his philosophies. That easily could have been because of personnel. Things look like their starting to evolve in a very ambiguous set with a lot of curveballs being able to be thrown. Getting exciting. Good breakdown by the way. 

Last year the big take away seems to be

That Joker/SAM role was there but had to be kinda scraped do to inefficient talent and injuries. Steven Nelson was a liability in single coverage and had to have more extensive safety help. They also kept holding themselves back at linebacker as they tried to figure out where guys would be best. If that Will/Slot guy can be versatile it makes it loads easier

• Like 1

Of those @TheRealMcCoy

this is a key one

A someone who played this type of NT role, coached this type of role, it’s hard to get guys that are down to relish in the support role that it is. Like you can still and will still make plays. But taking that on so the rest flows around you takes a unique person and athlete. 

I wish the scheme stuff would’ve been more clear but I guess it kinda was. Makes him much more of an obvious pick. 

Also once again, I want to give Howie his dues for knowing exactly how and when to leap up to get his guy, not more than necessary. He always has a feel for what's going on around the league more than most GMs. Unfortunately it didn't work out with Andre Dillard but it did with Devonta.

• Like 1