Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

18 hours ago, Donzo said:

I hope I'm wrong but Love has been a bust so far and I don't see him overcoming it. He's been very inaccurate since his Sr season, and as mentioned, I don't see him overcoming it. The comps are pretty brutal.

What's doubly frustrating about it is the squandered premium assets spent on Love. Assets that could have benefited positions of need.

Gute's crapped the bed on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While you have the odds on your side (that only about 40% of QBS taken in the first round succeed), this is a horrible take with nothing really concrete to back it up. You didn't like the pick at the time it happened so you double down on that, predicting failure before there is enough information to do that.

I'm not even sure of the throwaway statement "I hope I'm wrong" has much validity. You'd rather declare a winner before the race has run. It's your opinion, sure, but I don't think it's a good one. 

Now by the time this season has been run, we will probably all know if Love is a success or a bust. Let's wait until (as I said earlier), the race has been run.

Look for the rider with the black stripe down his white pants (hint: at the start of the clip look for the horse way back from the font four runners).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

22 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Like, other than "the one game Rodgers missed with Covid" and "mop-up duty here and there" and "one half of a preseason game with something resembling a starting cast" we've barely even seen Love.

The guys who didn't want to draft him all think he's a bust, the guys who were fine with it haven't yet given up. It's pretty much that simple. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

The guys who didn't want to draft him all think he's a bust, the guys who were fine with it haven't yet given up. It's pretty much that simple. 

I didn’t want to draft him (I was hoping he’d get drafted before us) and in hindsight (knowing ARod was going to return to MVP level) the resources could have been better spent. However, I see Gute’s logic and haven’t quite given up on Love yet. The logic was ARod was getting older, his DVOA the two years prior were 12th and 13th for QBs, and he was getting paid to be better.

Edited by TheEagle

15 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I didn’t want to draft him (I was hoping he’d get drafted before us) and in hindsight (knowing ARod was going to return to MVP level) the resources could have been better spent. However, I see Gute’s logic and haven’t quite given up on Love yet. The logic was ARod was getting older, his DVOA the two years prior were 12th and 13th for QBs, and he was getting paid to be better.

I was excited at the time, I did like Love quite a bit, but I never saw this Aaron coming. So yeah of course knowing that, it's pretty much impossible to like the pick unless we go a tad tinfoil hat and think the pick is what motivated him to return to top form. 

Had Rodgers continued to decline we'd be like oh yeah we saw that coming and this made sense but he didn't and now those could years like an anomaly, which partially can be excused by injuries etc. It is what it is at this point. 

I doubt JL ever plays meaningful football here unless Aaron gets hurt. 

Having Love in house did enable the Packers to play hard(er) ball with Rodgers last year when the "I wanna be traded" stuff dropped on the night of the draft then he sat out the whole offseason.  That's worth something.  "We're going to get Jordan Love ready to start games for us" is a much more serious position than "we're going to get Blaine Gabbert/Kurt Benhert ready."  Like there's no reason Rodgers would believe the latter was a serious position.

If you look at the back end of that 2020 first round, "the Packers getting leverage" from drafting Jordan Love is a lot more valuable than what the Raiders got from Damon Arnette (#19),  Titans got from Isaiah Wilson (#29), or the Vikings got from Jeff Gladney (#31), three guys who were actual busts.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Norm said:

Weirdo that I am, I'm the exception to this simplification. 

• I was very supportive of the logic of the selection at the time.  Grabbing a guy they scouted then as a talented QB, and who they projected then might become a franchise guy in two years and set up another decade of success, that was logical and courageous.  I loved it then, and love the courage and logic in retrospect now.  
  • But I now think the projection for the player probably hasn't and probably will not work out.  I just don't think Love is or will be what they hoped he'd become.  Taking a shot then was great and smart and cool.  But I think they probably missed.
  • He's still got at least this offseason, this camp, and this real season to confirm whether he's got the accuracy to eventually make it as an asset desirable starter.  I hope he does so. 
  • But yeah, I think Gute took a smart shot; it was wise to try; but I think he probably missed.  So he'll probably need to take another shot next draft and invest another high draft pick to try again.
  • Like 2

Watson looks explosive as a runner, with the ball in his hands. 

But he looks too tall and uncoordinated running routes.

He’s linear. He’s explosive and it shows up when he’s erasing angles as a runner, but he’s linear. 

The absolute best comp for Christian Watson is MVS. Tall, skinny, poor route runner, poor in traffic, fast, can get behind defenses. 

Watson also runs a good stop route and can back shoulder. And he’s good with the ball in his hands. I expect him to be a slightly more well rounded version of MVS. 

His floor looks about like MVS considering he’s a similar athlete and a hard worker. His ceiling looks like about 1,000 yard per season, solid #2 who does a few things well.

Decent pick, but he’s no Randy Moss (similar athlete who thrived in traffic and with contested catches)

3 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Decent pick, but he’s no Randy Moss (similar athlete who thrived in traffic and with contested catches)

Agree, he's no Moss, he's not even close. Moss in his 2 seasons at Marshall scored 54 TDs and was 4th in the Heisman.

In 4 years, Watson scored 14 TDs, with a high drop rate, but that won't stop the hype train.

I feel an MVS comparison is lazy. 

Watson is just as fast, bigger, and looks to have great YAC skills unlike MVS.He also has shown to high point the ball at times. They even used Watson at RB at NDSU. That might be a nice little wrinkle it add.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Watson looks explosive as a runner, with the ball in his hands. 

But he looks too tall and uncoordinated running routes.

He’s linear. He’s explosive and it shows up when he’s erasing angles as a runner, but he’s linear. 

The absolute best comp for Christian Watson is MVS. Tall, skinny, poor route runner, poor in traffic, fast, can get behind defenses. 

Watson also runs a good stop route and can back shoulder. And he’s good with the ball in his hands. I expect him to be a slightly more well rounded version of MVS. 

His floor looks about like MVS considering he’s a similar athlete and a hard worker. His ceiling looks like about 1,000 yard per season, solid #2 who does a few things well.

I don't think he's poor at all in traffic. 

https://youtu.be/kAw-bB1wvEg?t=333

https://youtu.be/kAw-bB1wvEg?t=399

• Like 2

Saying he’s not Moss is not really meaningful in any way. Moss was one of the greatest to every do it, definitely in my lifetime but he was a generational receiver. it’s like saying a player is not Barry Sanders or Reggie White.  Ok, but there are still levels of absolute greatness beneath that b

He has some of the prototypical traits you want for a WR in this offense. Obviously the boundary speed but also including some sweep ability and some chippiness to put that frame into the blocking game at high speed. MVS was great for where we got him but he didn’t have the same game. Let’s see what he can do immediately and in the next few seasons but I hope he grows into this offense and as a pro, looks at his body as his job. One knock on him was that he probably could have conditioned himself better but that he really didn’t need to vs the small school competition that he was already dominating. 

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

Let’s see what he can do immediately and in the next few seasons but I hope he grows into this offense and as a pro, looks at his body as his job. One knock on him was that he probably could have conditioned himself better but that he really didn’t need to vs the small school competition that he was already dominating. 

Good point.

One knock on him was that he probably could have conditioned himself better but that he really didn’t need to vs the small school competition that he was already dominating.

———

I agree with your overall take, but where have you seen that knock? I would be shocked if that were true. Just looking at him that seems far fetched. You don’t play at NDSU without being dedicated in the weight room, and WRs don’t play if they don’t block. Two people relatively close to me (nephew of an in law and friend of a niece) from the Twin Cities went to NDSU on a football scholarship and left because they couldn’t handle the work required to play there.

Ross Uglem has been effusive about his work ethic.

Edited by TheEagle