Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

I've been on the bandwagon for him to go high since the Senior Bowl. He looked much better running routes and beating press than similar ranked (at the time) WRs like Jalen Tolbert, Danny Gray, and Romeo Doubs.

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

Oh damn he literally clipped EVERY target?

I was just thinking I would like to see all the drops in one clip from pff. I'll see if I have the patience to go through this later, props to that guy for sure though

I went through them and I think I had him down for 3-4 drops, don't remember which, but 1-2 of those would have been difficult catches. The QBs at NDSU are pretty inaccurate. I was listening to somebody (not sure if it was Simms), but he basically said a lot of great WRs have dropped a lot of balls (Terrell Owens and Brandon Marshall were mentioned), but what you miss on the 5 extra drops/year isn't comparable to what they give you on all of the other plays (bigger plays and how coverages are rolled).

Just now, TheEagle said:

I went through them and I think I had him down for 3-4 drops, don't remember which, but 1-2 of those would have been difficult catches. The QBs at NDSU are pretty inaccurate. I was listening to somebody (not sure if it was Simms), but he basically said a lot of great WRs have dropped a lot of balls (Terrell Owens and Brandon Marshall were mentioned), but what you miss on the 5 extra drops/year isn't comparable to what they give you on all of the other plays (bigger plays and how coverages are rolled).

Yeah my first thought was the guy that started the year for them was just, ugly. He could run but he would spray the ball all over. I only remember this because they built him up before the year like he was the next Lance so I'm like all strapped in to see some ****, and then I saw....****.

22 hours ago, vegas492 said:

...No doubt the jugs will help, but so will having Rodgers place the ball where it needs to be...

As Norm said, NDSU went through a couple of QB's this season, one of them an excellent running QB who was an especially inaccurate thrower.  So yeah, Rodgers is going to be better.

That said, I think Rodgers is NOT necessarily an easy guy to catch?  He has lots of throws that may be within a catch radius, but that are behind a guy or are thrown low.  And obviously his velocity is high, leaving much less time for a receiver to track the ball and position his stride or his hands and body to make the catch and protect himself.  And of course NFL defense makes catches harder because windows close so fast and you're getting hit before or as the ball touches your fingers.  

So I think the question of "can he catch it well" is a very real and legit question.  We'll see. 

In terms of actual stats production, who knows?  Rodgers does very much like to win, and go with what's working.  If running-Lazard-Watkins-Cobb-Davis-Deguara is getting them wins, I'm not sure he or MLF will use Watson much.  But *IF* Watson is performing, and picks things up fast, and gives the trustworthy-hard-working-remembers-things-fast professional that I think he may be, he may get pretty involved fairly quickly?  

I think it heavily depends on MLF and Rodgers and what they WANT to do.  Adams, Rodgers knew he WANTED to get the ball into his hands.  He looked for opportunities to do that; and *if* Adams was in a 1-on-1, Rodgers defaulted to Adams.  Not sure that's likely for Watson?  But, maybe yes?  Maybe you WANT to set up a couple of jet-sweep fakes or real ones?  Maybe they WANT to use some play-action or other sets where, *IF* Watson is 1-on-1, Rodgers will look for him, as he did in past with Jennings, Jordy, and Adams?  Maybe with Watson's speed and quickness, maybe they'll WANT to give him some of those quick 5-yard throws if the corner is giving space?  Or set up some WR screens?  Or WANT to look for him on a slant or two?  Posters were always mad that Rodgers looked to Adams a lot, complaining "just run the offense!"  I just can't guess whether Watson will most often be a 3rd, 4th, or 5th option on plays, and Rodgers will "just run the offense".  Or whether he'll often be an intended 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option that gets used while just running the offense. 

Having a few days to study this kid I have to say I'm pumped we got him. Have to admit I was on the Pickens band wagon but sorry this kid fits this offense better. When I learned what he did in college I come away that we got a bigger more explosive version of Deebo Samuel in GB. This kid is an  athletic freak! Can't wait for training camp to start.

I think people need to temper any Deebo comparisons. Yes, you can run him on jet motions because he’s fast and has great spatial awareness. He’s not Deebo. You can’t put him at RB. He’s just not that strong. He’s a make you miss or run around you type. He won’t break a lot of tackles. Javon Walker with less contested ball skills and more RAC potential.

• Like 1

Other than the occasional end around - I don't think the Packers will go out of their way exposing Watson getting hit by LBs or DL on run plays. I also have my doubts he will return kicks.

Some things others have said via podcasts or whatever that I found interesting, but haven't verified:

Other than RB snaps, Watson wasn't moved around the formation, and motion wasn't something NDSU used. Both things that can help him in the NFL. Also someone pointed out that the drop rate was partly due to such a small sample size. I think there is something to that. That person also mentioned he only had 2 drops with Lance at QB. All FWIW

Edited by cannondale

On 5/3/2022 at 9:06 AM, vegas492 said:

I don't feel that way, that he can bust easily.  Outside of injury, this kid has everything you want in a WR.  It isn't just speed and size, it is quickness.  I can't believe he is almost 6'5'' and can move as quick as he can.

Seriously, if he busts, our WR coach and maybe even our HC needs to be fired.

He was never really schemed open in college.  MLF is going to do that for him.  I know we are setting the bar appropriately for him, but it would not shock me if he goes for 1,000 this season.

We said there was no Jefferson or Chase in this draft.  I think that "we" were wrong.  This kid has those traits and by all accounts, he's a worker with a great head on his shoulders.

I really can't get on board with this. You're setting yourself up to be massively disappointed.

• Like 1

...................But this IS the time of year to get excited. Unrealistic expectation, or impartial calculation of his ability, it doesn't matter. This can be true of all the new Packers.

In May, all things are possible.

After the regular season and playooffs have played out, THEN you get to see how close to reality you were.............and if that reality is unpleasant, then in a dozen weeks you can get excited again for the next season.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Watson is like 6'5, RBs aren't 6'5, not even part time ones.

You can put anybody in at RB.  It's just probably not a good idea for most guys outside of goal line situations.

18 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

The only "Runs" Watson should see are those Jet sweeps MVS got sometimes.

It would be nice if the defense had reason to pay attention to the jet fake.  Two years ago they ran that over and over again without ever handing it off.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

...................But this IS the time of year to get excited. Unrealistic expectation, or impartial calculation of his ability, it doesn't matter. This can be true of all the new Packers.

In May, all things are possible.

After the regular season and playooffs have played out, THEN you get to see how close to reality you were.............and if that reality is unpleasant, then in a dozen weeks you can get excited again for the next season.

May the 4th be with you, my brother.