Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

If Watson can simply continue to develop in terms of beating press, blocking, and running go routes in this his rookie season, that would help the offense and I'd be fine with that. For sure, I'd love to see him surpass that sooner rather than later, but if it is just that, it will help.

On 5/27/2022 at 9:08 AM, vegas492 said:

You do that and Watkins lands on IR after the race.  

What I would find interesting is this...put Watson and Doubs in pads.  Throw in Lazard.  Run a straight 40 yard dash and see where they come in.  I'll bet Lazard isn't all that far behind.

Now do it again, in pads, but run a NFL route and end it after 25 yards.  I'll bet Lazard is there first.

It's speed versus NFL route speed.

Those mph are during games.  Watkins has 2 of top 5 nfl games speeds in last 3 yrs,  kinda crazy.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 5:18 PM, TheEagle said:

He literally just turned 23. Javon Walker was 23 1/2 when we drafted him. Jordy was the same age as Watson. James Jones was 3 months younger. Greg Jennings was 3 months younger. Donald Driver was almost 24. Why do you keep bringing up age? He's not that old. It's pretty normal age for an NFL rookie. He played 4 years and reshirted, but he was also a bit younger when he graduated high school.

Players are going to be older coming into the NFL because of COVID. That trend will continue next draft as well.

I really like Watson, and the fact that Minnesota traded with Green Bay so that your team could get him means he'll probably dominate us for the next 10+ years lol

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Players are going to be older coming into the NFL because of COVID. That trend will continue next draft as well.

I really like Watson, and the fact that Minnesota traded with Green Bay so that your team could get him means he'll probably dominate us for the next 10+ years lol

Hey, we took Vonnie Holliday despite needing WRs instead of Randy Moss.  Then because of Randy Moss, we took 3 defensive backs in a row the next season.  LOL.  At least Mike McKenzie was pretty good.  

41-416284_doh-homer-simpson-quotes-on-qu

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 2

The age thing probably matters more in the trenches than outside.  The basic thing you worry about older guys is that they were just regularly ruining the days of kids who still had a lot of work to do, a thing that will not continue in the NFL.  But guys generally come into the league needing "strength" rather than "speed" (the latter is just not a thing you can do much about.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MVSs 40 yard dash was so/so out of the gate but the top speed was elite. Watson is elite out of the gate with so/so top speed. 

MVS did a great job on those deep posts of creating late separation with his build up speed. Watson might not be able to do that. 

Geeze, it makes you wonder if he could be a full on bust. You want to say he can do what MVS did on day 1, but even that is a question. 

But pick 34 is high for a WR. They really should hit on that pick. It’s not like drafting an OT or Edge where the good ones are gone in the 1st round. 

Edited by JordanLoveFTW

33 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

But pick 34 is high for a WR

For the Packers, sure, but this year we saw 6 WRs go before 34, last year we saw  5 go before 34, the year before we saw 7 go before 34, etc.  But it doesn't really matter when you take the guy, as long as you're right about the guy.

34 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

For the Packers, sure, but this year we saw 6 WRs go before 34, last year we saw  5 go before 34, the year before we saw 7 go before 34, etc.  But it doesn't really matter when you take the guy, as long as you're right about the guy.

Historically, second round receivers are about as successful as 1st round. 34 is a spot you should hit on. 

1 hour ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

MVSs 40 yard dash was so/so out of the gate but the top speed was elite. Watson is elite out of the gate with so/so top speed. 

MVS did a great job on those deep posts of creating late separation with his build up speed. Watson might not be able to do that. 

Geeze, it makes you wonder if he could be a full on bust. You want to say he can do what MVS did on day 1, but even that is a question. 

But pick 34 is high for a WR. They really should hit on that pick. It’s not like drafting an OT or Edge where the good ones are gone in the 1st round. 

4.36 is still 4.36 no matter what the top speed is. Since Watson is faster off the line than MVS was, he'll be creating separation sooner than MVS. Since he's several inches taller than most CB's, it will be difficult for CB's to make a play on the ball once he has a little separation. Plus, his superior explosion off the line should make him better on short to medium routes than MVS was.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

4.36 is still 4.36 no matter what the top speed is. Since Watson is faster off the line than MVS was, he'll be creating separation sooner than MVS. Since he's several inches taller than most CB's, it will be difficult for CB's to make a play on the ball once he has a little separation. Plus, his superior explosion off the line should make him better on short to medium routes than MVS was.

Yeah, there’s a case to be made for him. Jeff Janis had a 9.89 RAS and there were cases made why that athleticism would transfer to the field. 

Watson had an underwhelming college career, never going over 800 yards in a season. In that college career he made 90% of his plays on two routes (go routes and comeback routes.) He rarely caught anything else. Is that enough of an arsenal moving up several notches of competition. And then there are his hands. 

Im not sold on this guy. Too many red flags. I think he could bust. 

2 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Im not sold on this guy. Too many red flags. I think he could bust. 

Congratulations that is the 1000th time you have told this board that you think Watson could be a bust. A medal should be given out in your honor for this amazing accomplishment.   

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

It's hard to have a ton of receiving yards when you're running the ball 70 percent  of the time. That's the offense he was in. They threw it  even  less when they had Trey Lance at QB.

He doesn't listen to this. Because that means he wasn't good enough for them to completely change their offense to be built around him in the FCS. So he's bad

Watson’s deep speed is still good—just not as good as MVS. His 10-40 time is faster than Chris Olave and Jordy Nelson, for example. MVS has great deep speed (ala Usain Bolt). Problem is: his poor ball tracking ability rarely allows him to take advantage. It’s an underrated aspect to a WRs game. I remember watching Greg Jennings ball tracking ability coming out. It’s why I was so high on him.

Edited by TheEagle