Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

3 hours ago, Norm said:

MLF did take a lot of the blame after it all IIRC so I'm sure that's still sticking with them

Because that is what good leaders do, they take the pressure off of the players. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, R T said:

Because that is what good leaders do, they take the pressure off of the players. 

Also...not the first time MLF has done that.  It is pretty common for him.

The guy is so young that I expect some massive screw ups from him on little things like that.  But they never really happen.

Solid person, very good coach.  Honestly, never saw that coming when he was hired.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, R T said:

Yeah that's where I was going with that. But people like to take things purely at face value when it's convenient

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Also...not the first time MLF has done that.  It is pretty common for him.

The guy is so young that I expect some massive screw ups from him on little things like that.  But they never really happen.

Solid person, very good coach.  Honestly, never saw that coming when he was hired.

I've been pissed at MLF a billion times tbh. 

4 hours ago, R T said:

... The Packers offense will be better this year, not because Adams isn't a great player, but because Rodgers can't use him as a crutch now. The MLF offense will finally be run to the way he envisioned it to be run...hopefully.   

"Hopefully" being the operative word!  I'm with you, RT, I'm optimistic that it will work this way, and the offense will be better, perhaps significantly so.  :):). Heh heh, having a good o-line might be the biggest enabling key for that, should it play out that way. 

Amid the hope, I do admit some lack of certainty?  The narrative is that MLF's scheme is great;  but the actual offense was barely above-average because the HOF MVP QB was variably bad. 

But I do admit wondering sometimes whether maybe MLF's scheme isn't necessarily that great? 

• Maybe too short, maybe too horizontal, maybe too predictable? 
  • Perhaps the primary limits with the offense were Rodgers and Adams? 
  • But perhaps, might it be hypothetically plausible that the offense was limited less by Rodgers and Adams, than by some some other factors? 
  • (For hypothetical example, maybe the o-line?  Or maybe the MLF/Hackett scheme?  Or maybe the non-Adams receivers and TE's?  etc?). 

Should be fun to see how it plays out.  As you suggest, RT, hopefully MLF's scheme and creativity will be better manifested, Rodgers will execute well, everything will be more diverse and unpredictable, and the o-line will be really good and uncap all the possibilities.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cannondale said:

MLF said in a recent presser that Adams was the first read on 80% (or was it 90%) of the plays. That confirmed some things to me and also shows why the Packers were a one trick pony in the playoffs and looked very vanilla. Blame Rodgers all you want and scream about one screenshot, but MLF designed himself into a corner and couldn't get out after one simple defensive adjustment that most likely happened after the second drive of the game.  Roll the coverage to Adams and don't give Rodgers time to get to his second reads (hence all the checkdowns). Shame on you MLF. 

That's exactly what I was talking about in my post just above this; Adams being the first read to that degree had nothing to do with scheme.  Adams being allowed to freelance his routes to beat the coverage was almost certainly the white flag to get Rodgers to come to the table when it came time to get him onboard with the offense.  Nothing in MLF's approach would lead you to believe he'd want his X receiver off on the boundary doing his own thing removed from the rest of the offensive gameplan.  It's an entire offensive philosophy based on movement, misdirection, and stretching the field that has to give up a bunch of that space to regularly let the QBs favorite target play his own game. 

That playoff game happened because the 49ers realized that Aaron was going to target Davante pretty much no matter what if he looked open pre-snap, and all you have to do is roll coverage post-snap to completely wreck Aaron's ability to read it.  As a QB you should be getting to your second read within, what, two seconds from the snap?  Aaron wasn't being pressured in under two seconds every snap, so your last two sentences don't even have an internal logic that makes sense.  Rodgers struggled because the 49ers forced him to make tight window throws if he wanted to target his favorite options, and his two worst qualities smashed face first into each other on national TV.  "Only target my friends when possible" met "never throw tight window throws inside" and the result was "hold the ball until the OL crumples then throw desperation passes way off target".

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Nothing in MLF's approach would lead you to believe he'd want his X receiver off on the boundary doing his own thing removed from the rest of the offensive gameplan.  It's an entire offensive philosophy based on movement, misdirection, and stretching the field that has to give up a bunch of that space to regularly let the QBs favorite target play his own game. 

When you have a connection with full understanding of the offense and defense like Rodgers and DA did, I'm sure MLF was more than fine taking advantage of some freestyling from time to time. The head nod plays are the toughest ones to defend because theyre not on tape. 

But I agree you cant make a whole *** offense off of that. If it's not a damn near 100%er run the route as designed.

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers being unable to recognize rolled coverage post snap is ABSOLUTELY a Rodgers problem. 

Are you serious with this?

Are you serious that you don't know how route progressions work ?

Changing the play to another where Adams is the first read doesn't solve anything

But yeah - much more feasible the 4 time MVP can't QB

Edited by cannondale

9 hours ago, cannondale said:

Are you serious that you don't know how route progressions work ?

Changing the play to another where Adams is the first read doesn't solve anything

But yeah - much more feasible the 4 time MVP can't QB

Explain to me how route PROGRESSIONS work?

The point of a PROGRESSION is to PROGRESS from the covered WR to the uncovered WR. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Norm said:

I've been pissed at MLF a billion times tbh. 

I've been disappointed, not pissed.  Like I was pissed at Sherman for punting the football.  Pissed at Mac for not going for it.

Disappointed in MLF for how we handled west coast road trips.  Disappointed in how flat we were week one last year.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Explain to me how route PROGRESSIONS work?

The point of a PROGRESSION is to PROGRESS from the covered WR to the uncovered WR. 

I tried to type a response to that post like four times and just gave up because I was so blown away by how nonsensical it was.  Like, the very nature of the words they wrote invalidate the question.  And that's on top of the craziness that is stating Rodgers clearly not being the problem because he's won 4 MVPs, when two of those MVPs came under the coach you're criticizing?

3 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I tried to type a response to that post like four times and just gave up because I was so blown away by how nonsensical it was.  Like, the very nature of the words they wrote invalidate the question.  And that's on top of the craziness that is stating Rodgers clearly not being the problem because he's won 4 MVPs, when two of those MVPs came under the coach you're criticizing?

It's all about context. When responding to "Rodgers being unable to recognize rolled coverage" there is little to say