Bears draft WR Velus Jones (Tennessee) 71st overall

CBears019

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

but it will all be new stuff so it isn't far off from having a rookie QB.

I think terminology will be different as will play call style and sequencing, but at the same time there are only so many things conceptually that can be done. Getsy isn’t going to completely reinvent the wheel on how offensive football is played. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I think terminology will be different as will play call style and sequencing, but at the same time there are only so many things conceptually that can be done. Getsy isn’t going to completely reinvent the wheel on how offensive football is played. 

Yes.  He has played QB all his life too which helps a lot.  

But hard part is new concepts. 

It takes a ton of live reps to be able to identify defense and make a read for a particular play or concept at game speed even if you know it backwards and forwards on paper or done walk throughs or on air. 

He has to do that for each new one and do it again and again with each type of defense.  

It is such a huge advantage when you have been in same system for years.   When you are at point where practice is boring for you is when you have arrived mentally.

Good news is am sure there is some overlap in concepts from OSU and Nagy it won't all be totally new.

6 hours ago, G08 said:

I just hope Getsy knows WTF he's doing. My Chicago Bears PTSD doesn't let me believe we will have a great offense, let alone a good one, ever, until it actually happens.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It will be hard to be worse offensively than we have been of late.   So there is that.

I came here in a good mood and you two made me sad. Thank you, jerks. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Who do you like, Justin?

Velus Jones

Nice! Noted!

I also lik...

Nope just one. I only asked for one. Sorry

Probably went more like,

Fields: I like:

Olave, Williams, Burks, Watson, Pickens, and Pierce.  

Poles: How about Jones?  

Fields: Never heard of him.  

Poles Watch these highlights.

Fields: Oh yeah, he’s pretty good too I guess.  

Poles: Cool.  We’ll keep that in mind.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I came here in a good mood and you two made me sad. Thank you, jerks. 

Would it make you feel better if I told you that the Bears were close to 60M in dead cap and teams with over 40M going into the season usually only win 0-7 games?

2021: DET (3)

2020: CAR (5 wins), NYJ (2 wins), JAX (1 win)

2019: MIA (5 wins), NYG (4 wins), ARI (5 wins)

2018: BUF (6 wins), NYG (5 wins), ARI (3 wins)

2017: CLE (0 wins)

2016: NO (7 wins)

2013: OAK (4 wins)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Would it make you feel better if I told you that the Bears were close to 60M in dead cap and teams with over 40M going into the season usually only win 0-7 games?

2021: DET (3)

2020: CAR (5 wins), NYJ (2 wins), JAX (1 win)

2019: MIA (5 wins), NYG (4 wins), ARI (5 wins)

2018: BUF (6 wins), NYG (5 wins), ARI (3 wins)

2017: CLE (0 wins)

2016: NO (7 wins)

2013: OAK (4 wins)

Kinda? I already guessed we would match last year's record. So this validated my lazy guess, but is still disappointing somehow. Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

I like that he’s basically been in Fields’ ear since he got drafted. Work on building that rapport right out of the gate. Get yourself down to GA with Mooney and Kmet while you’re at it between rookie camp and OTAs too. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I like that he’s basically been in Fields’ ear since he got drafted. Work on building that rapport right out of the gate. Get yourself down to GA with Mooney and Kmet while you’re at it between rookie camp and OTAs too. 

Yup he’s certainly doing and saying all the right things so far.  I’m excited to see if he will walk the walk in the fall.

55 minutes ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Compelling Hypothesis on how Jones Jr could be used in Chi's new offense.

I watched the first part of this and he is really gassing Jones.

Good blocker? Cmon. Also people question his route running for a good reason. He ran a limited tree, he is not fluid in and out of his breaks, and alot of his plays were more of a result of scheme than his own ability (fade routes against linebackers, crossing routes to lose defenders in traffic, curls and hitch routes against off coverage, etc).

One thing I've noticed a lot with these Bear fan youtubers doing breakdowns is that they let their Bear goggles cloud their judgment instead of giving an honest opinion. As fans, we have a propensity to only see what we wanna see and if said youtuber wants to see a future hall of famer then that's all he is going to see during these breakdowns. Especially for guys who are doing breakdowns for a living. They don't want to be that guy to say to his following "hey, this guy isnt that special" because then that pisses off their fan base and they lose subs and money.

• Like 1

Quick breakdown of all plays from the game above

Play 1) Punt return. Good burst.

Play 2) 3 yard inside slant from slot. Telegraphed his break by extending his plant foot too far out and then dropped the pass.

3) 3 yard hitch from slot. Very slow to break (it shouldn't take 3 steps to turn on that route). Slow to secure the ball (this is would be a fumble in the NFL). Shows good burst an toughness again after the catch.

4) Screen blocker. Not much to say here except that I like his willingness.

5) Motion backfield reverse on a RPO from shotgun. This is one of the ways I think we see him being used a lot with Fields/Monty if Getsy is smart.

6) Another backfield reverse.

7) Slot. I'm hoping this was meant to be either a shallow cross or pivot route and not a slant, because if this was a slant then he rounded it off WAY too much. I'll go with the former and give him the botd.

8)) Slot. Hard to take anything away from it since the QB was sacked before his route could develop.

9) Punt return. Shows his burst again, quick feet, shiftiness, elusiveness, and ability to get small. These are traits that made Hester such a great returner.

10) Slot. Once again motion backfield reverse. These are good plays to use a speed guy like him on because it gives him a chance to reach top speed by the time he gets the ball in space. Good outside blockers are key components.

11) 3 yard hitch from slot. The interesting note here. I'm noticing how much cushion defenders are giving him. Even here when he's lined up on the boundary.

12) Used as fake screen from slot.

13) Skinny route from slot. Get the defender turned around shows good hands on a relatively soft throw.

14) Slot being used as a blocker on a RPO. Which is useless when the defender is playing 10 yards off and on the opposite side of the designed play.

15) 2 yard short out route. The outside receiver was used as bait on a inside slant and Jones' defender fell for it. Shows explosiveness and good vision after the catch in the open field.

16/17)  Punt returns. Two of the best fair catches I have ever seen in my life.

18) Slot. Run play.

19) 2 yard short out route. The outside receiver is once again used as bait by crossing inside. I like how fast Jones secures the ball, gets his head up and looks down field to think of his next move. I also like that he decided to go straight at the defender to move the chains inside doing too much.

20) 10 yard sluggo option route. One of his best routes. Shows the fade route to the off coverage, while the outside receiver runs a inside drive route, and then Jones slams back inside at the sticks. I wanna see more of this in the NFL. He fooled the hell out the defender.

21/22/23) Used as fake screen from slot.

24) Hard to tell. Looked like another fade or sluggo route from slot but didn't see enough of the play to call it fairly.

25) Shallow cross from the slot. Not enough to see.

26) Hard to tell. Looked like another possible hitch or fade but can't call it.

27) Another that is hard to tell.

28) Blocker from slot. Nothing to say.

29) Used as fake screen from slot.

30) Screen from slot. Shows good effort to try and escape but defenses closes fast.

31) Hard to tell. Looked like another fade or sluggo route from slot but didn't see enough of the play to call it fairly.

32) Used as fake screen from slot.

33) Blocker from slot. Nothing to say.

34) Motion backfield reverse on a RPO. Broken play. I don't know what the hell kind of play this was supposed to be but that looked like an experiment gone wrong.

35) 2 yard out route.