Bears draft WR Velus Jones (Tennessee) 71st overall

CBears019

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

None of the image links i try to upload will work, so doesn’t look like i am going to have luck with that.  I was even going to use an image of some random like 90 year old man for Velus.

Boomer

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So a bigger version of Cohen.

I saw a comp to Patterson but watching Jones’ film, the only thing they have in common is same position and they’re asked to do a lot of the same stuff, but they don’t even remotely play similar lol. 

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

In all seriousness though if he can become a healthy Cohen with the ball in his hands then it's a solid pick. A bit of a reach but a solid pick nonetheless.

I think this is the proper perspective for this pick. He has tools that unquestionably play in the NFL. If we use him in a way that utilizes them effectively then the pick is fine.

People’s angst with this pick is more based on where people thought he’d be drafted than anything else. If people heard “Bears drafted a WR in R3 who’s 5’11” 205 lb with 4.31 speed who had 807 receiving yards and 7 TD in the SEC last year, might be the best KR in this draft and is a gunner in punt coverage” but without a name or pre-draft grade tagged to attached to the prospect, how many people would be pissed about the pick? I’m guessing not too many. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think this is the proper perspective for this pick. He has tools that unquestionably play in the NFL. If we use him in a way that utilizes them effectively then the pick is fine.

People’s angst with this pick is more based on where people thought he’d be drafted than anything else. If people heard “Bears drafted a WR in R3 who’s 5’11” 205 lb with 4.31 speed who had 807 receiving yards and 7 TD in the SEC last year, might be the best KR in this draft and is a gunner in punt coverage” but without a name or pre-draft grade tagged to attached to the prospect, how many people would be pissed about the pick? I’m guessing not too many. 

In the scheme of things that's really where it all comes from (myself included). We just don't know enough about him because we all had guys much higher than him and he wasn't on our radar at all.

It's the old saying, people are afraid of what they don't know.

• Like 3

As much as Velus is 25 years old if he averages 600-800 yards and 5-8 TDs over the next 8 years is anyone really going to care?...sure we would love him to be 21 years old but you aren't always going to be able to find a draft full of those guys and if Velus can come in from day one and act as a safety blanket for Fields where he can throw quick screens and slants too and Velus can then make a guy miss and gain 10-12 yards routinely then he will really help...he is a nice complement to Mooney on the outside who we really don't want running those type of routes at his size...last season when we had Mooney, Byrd & Goodwin trying to run those plays we all said they were too small...Velus is only 5-11" but he is 205lbs and a former RB...

What I would say is if we had a 6-3" X receiver who is a redzone threat then our starting 3 WRs would be an excellent mix of skill set...sure we need a way to find that but like Poles has said we aren't going to be able to fix all of this in one offseason especially one with limited resources.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

As much as Velus is 25 years old if he averages 600-800 yards and 5-8 TDs over the next 8 years is anyone really going to care?...sure we would love him to be 21 years old but you aren't always going to be able to find a draft full of those guys and if Velus can come in from day one and act as a safety blanket for Fields where he can throw quick screens and slants too and Velus can then make a guy miss and gain 10-12 yards routinely then he will really help...he is a nice complement to Mooney on the outside who we really don't want running those type of routes at his size...last season when we had Mooney, Byrd & Goodwin trying to run those plays we all said they were too small...Velus is only 5-11" but he is 205lbs and a former RB...

What I would say is if we had a 6-3" X receiver who is a redzone threat then our starting 3 WRs would be an excellent mix of skill set...sure we need a way to find that but like Poles has said we aren't going to be able to fix all of this in one offseason especially one with limited resources.

If Jones averages 800 yards and 8 touchdowns a year for the next 8 years I'll zelle you $1000

Just now, beardown3231 said:

If Jones averages 800 yards and 8 touchdowns a year for the next 8 years I'll zelle you $1000

What about the 600 yards and 5 TDs do I still get my $1000? hahaha...

All I am saying is like every draft this a bit of a crapshoot and Jones could become a valuable piece to this offence...wouldn't have been mine or many others pick but I can at least understand the want for his skill set.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I find it a little strange that they want so staunchly BPA in round 2 and then by most accounts made a major reach for need in round 3.

I am fine with the Jones pick, at least it helps Fields, but it is getting straight up panned right now.

In this year's draft I don't think anyone can be considered a major reach...it's clear teams have grades all over the place on these guys.

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I find it a little strange that they want so staunchly BPA in round 2 and then by most accounts made a major reach for need in round 3.

I am fine with the Jones pick, at least it helps Fields, but it is getting straight up panned right now.

I find it strange how every Bears fan making fun of the Packers for once again not taking a WR in round 1 are praising Poles for addressing the secondary in round 2

What a fan base

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I find it strange how every Bears fan making fun of the Packers for once again not taking a WR in round 1 are praising Poles for addressing the secondary in round 2

What a fan base

It was pretty funny. Dunking on the Packers for going defense and not helping their QB… and then.

We added a guy with legit 4.3 speed to presumably get schemed touches on YAC plays (something he very obviously can do well with) and to stretch the field in a secondary WR role and who unquestionably diversified the skill set in our WR room, who was the FOURTEENTH WR drafted in this draft, and people are absolutely losing their **** about it before the draft has even ended and wanting to fire our GM because they liked other WRs who also didn’t go in the first dozen WRs in the class better than him. 

I can’t with this fan base sometimes. 

• Like 5