Bears draft WR Velus Jones (Tennessee) 71st overall

CBears019

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think much like the staff have said you don't want to put a ceiling on anyone...no on the surface he isn't as talented as Deebo and more than likely Getsy isn't as talented at scheming up touches for him as Shanahan is...also no doubt from the rushing standpoint the numbers Patterson gave the Falcoms would be unlikely given we have proper RBs but if he can give you that essence of teams having to know where he is lined up on any snap that alone is worth a ton...I think Hardman's stat line is a far call but I could see Jones doing more just simply because we don't have as much talent to spread the ball too...if he goes for 550+ yards receiving & 200+ yards rushing in year 1 that is a success story...anything more and he will have been a real factor for us.

Agreed. And I wasn’t saying to put a ceiling on him by any means - just to have a realistic expectation. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 10:58 PM, Ty21 said:

I saw a comp to Patterson but watching Jones’ film, the only thing they have in common is same position and they’re asked to do a lot of the same stuff, but they don’t even remotely play similar lol. 

Both went to UT too

On 4/30/2022 at 8:09 AM, Madmike90 said:

Something else I think has to be taken into the evaluation of Velus is who was throwing him the ball at Tennessee...he had a good receiving year this year because Hendon Hooker had a strong year but before that the QBs who were trying to throw the ball to him were putrid...it also goes to show that Tennessee has put some decent receiving talent into the NFL recently...

Jauan Jennings was good for the 49ers last year coming up big in some key situation after being a 7th round pick.

Marquez Callaway was productive for the Saints this year after going undrafted.

Josh Palmer was solid for the Chargers after being a 3rd round pick last year.

None of these guys put up big numbers because of how bad the QB play was but can all play at this level. 

VJJ also caught passes from Sam Darnold at USC lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:
Belichick went 3 for 4....and not in a good way.

oPXHoe7.jpg

look at his expected slot tho - pick 127. Do you remember where our original pick was after 71? it was 148. If poles couldn't trade down, then why not take the guy you want but isn't expected to be available at your next pick?

I mean we talked a lot about Rashaan Salaam and James Daniels being only 20 around draft time.  I have no problem drafting 25 year old players.  

I think, nay I predict, Velus is going to pleasantly surprise people and be a contributor at WR in year one.   

I like way he moves with ball and snags ball from air with his hands.  In game I watched the offense was ridiculously simple.   Not one to shine in.

I am wrong about WRs a lot though.  LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I mean we talked a lot about Rashaan Salaam and James Daniels being only 20 around draft time.  I have no problem drafting 25 year old players.  

I think, nay I predict, Velus is going to pleasantly surprise people and be a contributor at WR in year one.   

I like way he moves with ball and snags ball from air with his hands.  In game I watched the offense was ridiculously simple.   Not one to shine in.

I am wrong about WRs a lot though.  LOL

He doesn’t have to put up huge numbers to be an asset on offense. He needs to be able to excel in his role. There’s a discernible difference between those two things. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He doesn’t have to put up huge numbers to be an asset on offense. He needs to be able to excel in his role. There’s a discernible difference between those two things. 

People want the RB/WR hybrid in their offense now. 

Not the RB with good hands.  The WR who can run the ball.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

this is where i am. would i prefer a younger player? of course. but we all said "daniels is only 20, think of how good he's gonna be in 4 years when he's still only 24!" - turns out he was pretty meh and didn't sign a 2nd contract here

you get less time/upside with older players, but they tend to be more projectable

54 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think, nay I predict, Velus is going to pleasantly surprise people and be a contributor at WR in year one

Well he’s as old as Josh Allen so I’d hope he can start doing stuff right off the bat. 

Also nice use of nay, you 1800’s blacksmith. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

look at his expected slot tho - pick 127. Do you remember where our original pick was after 71? it was 148. If poles couldn't trade down, then why not take the guy you want but isn't expected to be available at your next pick?

By this logic, there's no such thing as a reach. Which is false. Jones was a big reach, and there were much better options still on the board.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

People want the RB/WR hybrid in their offense now. 

Not the RB with good hands.  The WR who can run the ball.

I use to beg for them to use Cohen like NE had used White. Quick wheel outside the TE then the HB reads the cover man and breaks in or out based on leverage. Jones could really be a threat if they put him there. 

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

By this logic, there's no such thing as a reach. Which is false. Jones was a big reach, and there were much better options still on the board.

According to Poles board there weren't any better options at time since he said he staying to his board.  

Velus is a reach by standards of internet mock drafts and player rankings, but we don't know where he actually was on all other teams big boards.   Maybe he would have went in next 10 picks had Bears passed.  

But let's say Poles believed Velus would last another X number of picks because no one else liked him like he and Bears scouts did.   Ideally he would then trade down to that spot gaining a pick or picks in process, but that would be a gamble on losing that particular player who he wanted.   Maybe he didn't want to take that gamble.   

Maybe that was a mistake because the value of the gained pick plus another guy he really liked would have been greater.  Who knows?  

And he maybe he actually tried and couldn't do it.   Not sure if he said one way or other publicly.  

If Velus pans out it won't matter much where he was drafted and people will be fine with it. 

If he does nothing people will be pissed they passed on this or that guy that was still available.  That is the game.

Because guaranteed there was someone else drafted after him that will do good things.   Like betting one player to win in a golf tournament versus the field.  The field will usually win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

According to Poles board there weren't any better options at time since he said he staying to his board.  

Velus is a reach by standards of internet mock drafts and player rankings, but we don't know where he actually was on all other teams big boards.   Maybe he would have went in next 10 picks had Bears passed.  

But let's say Poles believed Velus would last another X number of picks because no one else liked him like he and Bears scouts did.   Ideally he would then trade down to that spot gaining a pick or picks in process, but that would be a gamble on losing that particular player who he wanted.   Maybe he didn't want to take that gamble.   

Maybe that was a mistake because the value of the gained pick plus another guy he really liked would have been greater.  Who knows?  

And he maybe he actually tried and couldn't do it.   Not sure if he said one way or other publicly.  

If Velus pans out it won't matter much where he was drafted and people will be fine with it. 

If he does nothing people will be pissed they passed on this or that guy that was still available.  That is the game.

Because guaranteed there was someone else drafted after him that will do good things.   Like betting one player to win in a golf tournament versus the field.  The field will usually win.

Maybe this is all true and I hope that he can indeed be productive for us. I just hope that he is not this year's Shaheen.