Bears draft WR Velus Jones (Tennessee) 71st overall

CBears019

5 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Maybe this is all true and I hope that he can indeed be productive for us. I just hope that he is not this year's Shaheen.

I've watches a bit of him and not once has he reminded me of a giant baby while running. So at least we are off to a good start. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

I've watches a bit of him and not once has he reminded me of a giant baby while running. So at least we are off to a good start. 

Well, I guess we've dodged a bullet. Thank the football gods!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Maybe this is all true and I hope that he can indeed be productive for us. I just hope that he is not this year's Shaheen.

Everyone hopes for that, no doubt. The internet already largely seems to think it’s a done deal which is more than a little presumptuous. Most hated the McClellin and Shaheen reaches in real time and were right, but most hated the Kyle Long and Hester “reaches” in real time too and were dead wrong too.

If he cracks off a few explosive plays early on our fan base may do an immediate about face and turn him into their next Johnny Knox. Bears fans have been known to be more than a little reactionary. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

On 4/30/2022 at 7:51 AM, beardown3231 said:

I find it strange how every Bears fan making fun of the Packers for once again not taking a WR in round 1 are praising Poles for addressing the secondary in round 2

What a fan base

Have we been doing that for Fields for 20 straight years? 

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

The Bears have had s***tier receivers than the Packers for the last 20 years, yes.

Not even close to the point. 

Youre complaining that Bears fans are dumping on Packers fans because they went with 2 defenders before getting Rodgers a Weapon, but the Bears did "the same thing"

But its not the same thing, the Packers hvent gotten Rodgers a SINGLE Offensive draft pick since he was drafted other than Jordan Love.

Thats a very different situation, but sure, try to draw the most surface level parallel without using an ounce of context

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not even close to the point. 

Yes it is

Youre complaining that Bears fans are dumping on Packers fans because they went with 2 defenders before getting Rodgers a Weapon, but the Bears did "the same thing"

They did the same thing. The Packers once again ignored offense at 22 and 28 while the Bears did the same same at 39 and 48. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just stating that the same dopes on twitter making fun of Rodgers were the same ones pissed that the Bears did the same thing

But its not the same thing, the Packers hvent gotten Rodgers a SINGLE Offensive draft pick since he was drafted other than Jordan Love.

This is completely false, but sure, try to strengthen your stance by being wrong

Thats a very different situation, but sure, try to draw the most surface level parallel without using an ounce of context

Wrong

On 5/2/2022 at 12:47 PM, AZBearsFan said:

He doesn’t have to put up huge numbers to be an asset on offense. He needs to be able to excel in his role. There’s a discernible difference between those two things. 

This.

Right now, he's expected to be the #5 target on the field for the offense.   Honestly, the majority of his job is going to be "run that way *points at endzone*, really fast" just to force the defense to adjust, and opening up the higher volume guys underneath/elsewhere. If he gets to even 400 yards, this year he's probably considered a very successful #5 weapon.

Right off the bat you can use this kid on slants, play-action sail concepts, jet sweeps and out of the backfield.

Not to mention as a returner... I don't care that he's 25, I like the pick. Kid can flat out fly.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, G08 said:

Right off the bat you can use this kid on slants, play-action sail concepts, jet sweeps and out of the backfield.

Not to mention as a returner... I don't care that he's 25, I like the pick. Kid can flat out fly.

I also would like to see him run drags to whatever side Fields is running a bootleg. If in man he could get more time to separate, but in zone they might be able to force the CB into a bad spot. Either he drops to Jones and Fields could get a running lane or he comes up and Jones gets the ball dumped off to him with a head of steam. 

Do that a few times and then when they bring a safety up you might be able to make Jones cut upfield for a big gain with his speed. 

Hopefully Getsy makes good use of him. Im liking the pick more and more. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

I just hope Getsy knows WTF he's doing. My Chicago Bears PTSD doesn't let me believe we will have a great offense, let alone a good one, ever, until it actually happens.

It will be hard to be worse offensively than we have been of late.   So there is that.

Also schedule is easier than last years brutal slate.  But we also aren't really keeping pace with additions other teams are making and our subtractions are substantial as well.

Should be interesting.   

A full offseason of practice and first team reps for Fields should help a ton by Sept, but it will all be new stuff so it isn't far off from having a rookie QB.