With the 86th pick the Titans select QB Malik Willis

615finest

2 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Willis was a fantastic value where we got him and those type of draft value can lead to championships.  I really like Tannehill, much more than most apparently, but if Willis can take over as soon as next year the CAP help we can get will be significant over the next few years.  Now for those who like to hate on Tannehill:

send one from his last 3 playoff games

I was watching PFF and they basically said that statistically reaching vs the consensus board is real, but getting a "steal" vs the consensus board is not. Meaning if a guy falls he is more likely to return value similar to that pick than he is to be a 3rd found exception.

This makes sense when you think about it. It only takes 1 team to reach, but it takes all 32 teams to let a guy fall multiple rounds, meaning the real consensus is that's what the player is actually worth.

I think this is true for Malik Willis as well. If he shows signs in the next year, I'm all for trying him out, but I don't realistically expect him to be our future. The odds of a first round QB being better than Tannehill are low enough, let alone a 3rd rounder. We might be in the QB market in the first round next year as well.

I also think Willis needs to be in a Lamar Jackson type of offense to succeed, if he can succeed. That would need to be something they would be willing to commit to before deciding to go forward with him as the starter.

Edited by TitanSS

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at Willis games on Youtube, I can feel like he would be a guy that has ugly stats (3,000 yards, 18 passing TDs, 10 INTs, 500 yards rushing 9 rushing TDs) but he wins games because of being able to make special plays. 

37 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Looking at Willis games on Youtube, I can feel like he would be a guy that has ugly stats (3,000 yards, 18 passing TDs, 10 INTs, 500 yards rushing 9 rushing TDs) but he wins games because of being able to make special plays. 

So Steve McNair 2.0?

15 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yes sir!

Yes Sir GIF by Aminé

Not exactly what you want or need in todays game.  Need efficiency and red zone TDs.  McNair worked with a good running game and defense (lots of FGs) but other teams weren't as explosive against us as they are now.  Not going to win many games scoring 20 points.  If he is McNair that would be fine but hope for a little more than that.  Keep in mind, the objective isn't just the playoffs.  

On 5/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, deeluxx3 said:

send one from his last 3 playoff games

P. Manning had some tough playoff games.  You are playing tough defenses and better teams and coaching.  Everyone needs to do a better job.  And assuming Willis is even going to be as good as Tannehill could be a stretch.  For example, one int was the result of the OC calling a poorly designed play twice and the DB had it read and tipped the ball.  

Actually it is very easy and lazy to just think we win the game with a different QB.  Play design, play calling, real good play by the Bengals (who also got two picks against Mahomes including a critical game losing one) contributed.  The Titans with a less than 100% Henry and struggles all year with injury were expected to easily beat a team that made it all the way to the SB. How about nobody within 10 yards of Chase when he makes a catch to get them a chance at a FG and their kicker nailing a 52 yarder.  

3 hours ago, Soxcat said:

P. Manning had some tough playoff games.  You are playing tough defenses and better teams and coaching.  Everyone needs to do a better job.  And assuming Willis is even going to be as good as Tannehill could be a stretch.  For example, one int was the result of the OC calling a poorly designed play twice and the DB had it read and tipped the ball.  

Actually it is very easy and lazy to just think we win the game with a different QB.  Play design, play calling, real good play by the Bengals (who also got two picks against Mahomes including a critical game losing one) contributed.  The Titans with a less than 100% Henry and struggles all year with injury were expected to easily beat a team that made it all the way to the SB. How about nobody within 10 yards of Chase when he makes a catch to get them a chance at a FG and their kicker nailing a 52 yarder.  

sure

3 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Oh, bash Tannehill for dumb ints?  Watch this:

these are a bunch of college QBs and not a pro QB making crazy money to not have one of the worst games of his career in a home playoff game against an inferior opponent

Did you see the cut on Willis, The guy you are wanting to replace Tannehill?  Horrible pocket presence and decision making.  You do realize that no matter what you think if Tannehill doesn't make Willis any better and right now you just made my point.  Willis is a college QB who hasn't proven anything.  And it isn't like Tannehill is pure feces either.  But he is light years ahead of Willis right now.  Oh, they are pro QBs now.  And if they suck they won't be making "crazy" money.  Again, Willis is not half the prospect Mariota was coming out so calm down.  

I like Willis. I think he’s legit a good prospect.

What I believe the team thinks is that there were a few QBs that all had a similar rating, since there were several that had good physical traits but needed development.

Which is why they let him get to pick 86.

• Like 1

Willis is very intriguing prospect. He’s raw far as fundamentals. Has a cannon for an arm & has the intangibles to extend plays & create something out of nothing, but he process the field slow & he gets inaccurate due to being late on the throw & bad ball placement. He does remind me of a shorter version of Steve McNair with potential of a Russell Wilson 😩🥴 that’s only if he develops though 

11 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Not exactly what you want or need in todays game.  Need efficiency and red zone TDs.  McNair worked with a good running game and defense (lots of FGs) but other teams weren't as explosive against us as they are now.  Not going to win many games scoring 20 points.  If he is McNair that would be fine but hope for a little more than that.  Keep in mind, the objective isn't just the playoffs.  

No, it's not really a winning formula in today's game and it's definitely not pretty. 
But something that McNair did do in the playoffs was win more than not.

In the 4 playoff years with the Titans he only went winless once.  

I'm just saying I can see a career for Willis where the passing numbers aren't sexy, but we win because of him making money plays. 

And if that leads to playoff victories then I'll take it. 

• Like 2