Round 3 Pick 92; Sean Rhyan OL, UCLA

Packerraymond

The kid didn't look out of place in the snaps he saw. Decent footwork, no glaring mistakes. Could have been a bit better in help a few times but also had to stand ground in case of a late blitz. 

With that said MLF has been playing him more and more they want to see where the kid is at and we're doing it at LT too. So that means he's pushing Runyan. too bad though i wanted nothing but for Runyan to turn into the player his father was. Dam that would be ideal. 

Steno was asked about Rhyan in last week's presser.  He said they like the idea of splitting snaps and providing more competition.  I like that concept.  At other positions, guys split some snaps to varying degree.  I expect it's motivating to both the incumbent and the backup.  You better focus on the plays you get, or you'll lose them.  

My take from camp was different from some.  I thought Rhyan did reasonably well in 1-on-1's, and that he looked pretty strong and active in the exhibition games, in the snaps I saw.  

Coaches love vets, and Runyan isn't a dumb or unprofessional guy.  Is he a demolishing run blocker, obviously not.  But I imagine that until/unless we get knocked out of playoff contention, that MLF will tend to role with the tenured default guy.  Love didn't get sacked at all on Thursday, and was pressured pretty little.  So not sure the coaches will see the status quo as something that needs to be disrupted.  

Playoffs are a possibility, but personally I still focus on this as a rebuild season.  So personally I'd still like to see Rhyan get more snaps.  If they got split more 50-50, as with Walker/Nijman, I think that could be kinda fun.  Those 13 snaps or whatever in the video clip, he really wasn't asked to do very much or challenged or blitzed or whatever.  So I'm not sure there was a whole lot to conclude from that list of relatively boring blocks.  

Yeah, KC could provide a much better test for Rhyan.  I hope he gets that test, and I hope he aces it. That would be really fun.  

Given this rebuild, I do think it would be really helpful to figure out whether he's a guy they can see starting next year?  4 options:

1. Spend money to bring Runyan back again, even if it's not super pricey or for long.  (I'm thinking like Dean Lowry's last year.)
  2. Burn a high-ish draft pick on a guard to start immediately.
  3. Confidently role with Rhyan, without needing to burn a Day-2 pick on his replacement.
  4. Burn a 2nd-day pick to hopefully be the long-term guy, but let Rhyan compete with pick for both short-term and long-term usage.  Given that all Packer guards were college tackles, and need some learning time, some 2nd-day pick probably can't be assumed to be immediately starter-ready, even if they don't really think Rhyan is long-term solution.  

Would sure be nice if Rhyan looked so good that Gute didn't even need to burn one of his top-85 picks on Runyan/Rhyan replacement.  

19 hours ago, craig said:

Yeah, KC could provide a much better test for Rhyan.  I hope he gets that test, and I hope he aces it. That would be really fun.  

Given this rebuild, I do think it would be really helpful to figure out whether he's a guy they can see starting next year?  4 options:

1. Spend money to bring Runyan back again, even if it's not super pricey or for long.  (I'm thinking like Dean Lowry's last year.)
  2. Burn a high-ish draft pick on a guard to start immediately.
  3. Confidently role with Rhyan, without needing to burn a Day-2 pick on his replacement.
  4. Burn a 2nd-day pick to hopefully be the long-term guy, but let Rhyan compete with pick for both short-term and long-term usage.  Given that all Packer guards were college tackles, and need some learning time, some 2nd-day pick probably can't be assumed to be immediately starter-ready, even if they don't really think Rhyan is long-term solution.  

Would sure be nice if Rhyan looked so good that Gute didn't even need to burn one of his top-85 picks on Runyan/Rhyan replacement.  

With Runyan, Nijman and Bakhtiari possibly done here, I would expect Gute to draft at least 1 O-lineman on Day 1 or 2 even if they do feel good about Rhyan. And probably at least 1 on Day 3. Keep stocking the cupboard. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 1:00 PM, PACKRULE said:

The kid didn't look out of place in the snaps he saw. Decent footwork, no glaring mistakes. Could have been a bit better in help a few times but also had to stand ground in case of a late blitz. 

With that said MLF has been playing him more and more they want to see where the kid is at and we're doing it at LT too. So that means he's pushing Runyan. too bad though i wanted nothing but for Runyan to turn into the player his father was. Dam that would be ideal. 

Well a yeti has good enough footwork for a guard.

Man's is an imposing figure though.  That's a thick dude. Him and elgy have to be all body at OG for us since 2000. Sittons on the all gut team though.

On 11/27/2023 at 1:00 PM, PACKRULE said:

Not a chance in hell. 

JRJ was on another planet with his dad as far as pure drive skills, and even his pass pro didn't bear a resemblance. 

Just got too much of his mom's DNA :(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

With Runyan, Nijman and Bakhtiari possibly done here, I would expect Gute to draft at least 1 O-lineman on Day 1 or 2 even if they do feel good about Rhyan. And probably at least 1 on Day 3. Keep stocking the cupboard. 

I would be stunned if there isn't a Tackle taken in the first 2 rounds. 

The issue with Rhyan since his rookie year is basically two-fold:

1. Is his weight under control such that he can move his feet?

2. Is he with it mentally enough to handle the various blitzes he's going to see at the NFL level. 

+++

#1 seems answered. He looks good and is moving well enough at Guard. 

#2 seems to be alright as well, and I think sometimes coaches sweat this sort of thing too much. Is it worth taking a relative downgrade on 53 snaps per game, on the off chance he has a catastrophic mistake against a pressure package? So far Runyan seems to be getting the run which is questionable. 

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jesus

We're sure this isn't the guy?

I know it's a small sample size, but this is the guy we're keeping on the bench for JRJ?

I have a lot of questions. 

It's been baffling since week 1.  Nothing JRJ has ever put on film makes him a guy you find reasons to keep on the field.  He gets overwhelmed by power so consistently, but unlike Tom he doesn't display the attitude/quickness combo to overcome it.  I have no idea what Rhyan did to the coaching staff, but it's pretty clear at this point there's something off the field keeping him from starting.  He looked the part far more than Runyan all preseason, and JRJ hasn't exactly validated the coaches faith in him to this point, and yet they still seem loathe to put Rhyan out there unless he's their only option.  It's just real, real weird.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I would be stunned if there isn't a Tackle taken in the first 2 rounds. 

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yup.

It is possible that the Packers most urgent need on the  O line is actually the center. I'm expecting the Packers to chase an immediate starter in rounds 1-3, which probably means Van Pran, Frazier or Powers-Johnson.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

5 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

It's been baffling since week 1.  Nothing JRJ has ever put on film makes him a guy you find reasons to keep on the field.  He gets overwhelmed by power so consistently, but unlike Tom he doesn't display the attitude/quickness combo to overcome it.  I have no idea what Rhyan did to the coaching staff, but it's pretty clear at this point there's something off the field keeping him from starting.  He looked the part far more than Runyan all preseason, and JRJ hasn't exactly validated the coaches faith in him to this point, and yet they still seem loathe to put Rhyan out there unless he's their only option.  It's just real, real weird.

He's immature is the biggest thing. 

Runyan by contrast is a consummate pro who for the most part stays in front of guys. 

It's just classic coaches going for a high floor vs a better player who might occasionally make a mental **** up. 

But it's time to make the switch. 

• Like 1