Draft Day 3 Thread

MikeT14

I'm not sure you guys can sleep on our first two picks. I didn't like them - but, the potential for two quality starters is there. Dotson warmed me over a bit. And I think he will fit Scott Turners Offense really well. 

Edited by Troublez
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Troublez said:

I'm not sure you guys can sleep on our first two picks. I didn't like them - but, the potential for two quality starters is there. Dotson warmed me over a bit. And I think he will fit Scott Turners Offense really well. 

We still have a HUGE hole at MLB that we did not address. 

1 minute ago, DCNative said:

This team needs more of a AJ Brown WR not Tyler Lockett. We can agree to disagree. I would've taken Burks over Dotson. 

I would have also. More upside there, as Burks has the physical ability to be a superstar, which Dotson really doesn’t. At 180 pounds, you have to have world class speed to be a superstar — and he just doesn’t. They’ve obviously prioritized plug and play ability over upside, at least in the first couple days. 

That said, Dotson is still a good player. He’ll be one of our top 3 receivers from jump, and he’s definitely more equipped than Samuel to be a consistent receiving threat. The thing I like most about him is his ability to vary pace in his routes, which is a bit of an advanced (at least 200 level) route running technique. So many of these college guys just try to bust it full-speed through everything, but being able to control your pace helps hugely in selling what you’re trying to sell. He rocks people to sleep and then turns on the rockets, which is pretty exciting to see in a kid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I would have also. More upside there, as Burks has the physical ability to be a superstar, which Dotson really doesn’t. At 180 pounds, you have to have world class speed to be a superstar — and he just doesn’t. They’ve obviously prioritized plug and play ability over upside, at least in the first couple days. 

That said, Dotson is still a good player. He’ll be one of our top 3 receivers from jump, and he’s definitely more equipped than Samuel to be a consistent receiving threat. The thing I like most about him is his ability to vary pace in his routes, which is a bit of an advanced (at least 200 level) route running technique. So many of these college guys just try to bust it full-speed through everything, but being able to control your pace helps hugely in selling what you’re trying to sell. He rocks people to sleep and then turns on the rockets, which is pretty exciting to see in a kid.

I agree he will be a good player for us. I'm not knocking Dotson at all, dude has skills. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, taylor made said:

We still have a HUGE hole at MLB that we did not address. 

I hate to say it again bc I don’t like it either but they re-signed David Mayo to a 3 year deal worth almost $9 million. I’m thinking that Holcomb wears the green dot/calls the plays. Holcomb & Jamin start on the outside, Mayo is our 1 down, sometimes 2 down thumper in the middle. When we go to the nickel, Mayo comes off & Holcomb & Jamin are your 2 LBs w/ either a 3rd safety on the field or a slot corner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m just gonna go out on a limb and say the Sam Howell Thread will get too about 8500 pages by week 7 if Wentz is hurt or isn’t clicking.

Only if he's proven to be better than Taylor. Don't win unnecessary games next season and miss out on a Actually Franchise QB for a backup. Howell has to earn his stripes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I'm not sure you guys can sleep on our first two picks. I didn't like them - but, the potential for two quality starters is there. Dotson warmed me over a bit.

As I said earlier Williams/ Hamilton and Burks with a trade down would been ideal for me. Just can't pass on Williams even with the ACL injury. Both picks are OK I just think there was better players available. The Mahis pick is kind of strange just b/c I think it was kind of a reach. But hey it is what it is just hope these players can come in an make significant contributions and I think Dotson can do that. 

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I agree with this. I get Burks’s higher potential which you & DCNative are talking about but just like in 2016 I favored Michael Thomas over Dotson bc of route running ability & experience in that area. I’d rather have that with Dotson then a guy we have to develop and hope we can turn him into a good route runner once again like we did with Doctson which we failed to do.

3 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Only if he's proven to be better than Taylor. Don't win unnecessary games next season and miss out on a Actually Franchise QB for a backup. Howell has to earn his stripes. 

The only way we’re going to be in a spot to get one of the franchise potential QBs in next year draft (Bryce Young or CJ Stroud) is if we trade up. I don’t foresee any way we only win 1 to 3 games this year.