Official Yankees Thread

mission27

21 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I hope so! I bet us winning over 94.5 wins.

For us, its going to come down to the pitching staff and injuries. Hopefully - and I say this not knowing the details - hopefully, theres somebody in the minors, in the pipeline (or parked in the bullpen for all I know) that could patch a hole in our rotation this year if necessary. Otherwise, we'll be back to trading our youngsters for an arm - which I'd like to prevent. Seems I spent all off season saying "Dont trade Frazier" - who was mentioned in a host of potential trades (the most significant being Cole who went to HOU) - but I see him as rotating in as Ellsbury and Gardner fade out. Would be nice to get him off the disabled list however! This concussion's had him out longer than many NFL players -- which isnt a good sign.

I'm very positive on the transition that Cashman's made in the last few years. Shrewd personnel moves. Replenished the talent stockpile and didnt mortgage the future. We've got to maintain this approach. Keep feeding the farm system - let it keep feeding the team - and fill in with short term contracts with plug and play guys when a positional need arises and the occasional (OCCASIONAL) big ticket item - but no more Arod-like contracts - or not a handful of them at least. 

I also glad they got under the CAP and will avoid the luxury penalty. They were getting hosed bigtime by that tax - and it would be nice - nice, but probably wont happen - if they could field a top team but at a reduced / reasonable cost - and that ticket prices could come down a bit so the average fan (and not just Corporate America) could afford to go to the Stadium once in awhile.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

For us, its going to come down to the pitching staff and injuries. Hopefully - and I say this not knowing the details - hopefully, theres somebody in the minors, in the pipeline (or parked in the bullpen for all I know) that could patch a hole in our rotation this year if necessary. Otherwise, we'll be back to trading our youngsters for an arm - which I'd like to prevent. Seems I spent all off season saying "Dont trade Frazier" - who was mentioned in a host of potential trades (the most significant being Cole who went to HOU) - but I see him as rotating in as Ellsbury and Gardner fade out. Would be nice to get him off the disabled list however! This concussion's had him out longer than many NFL players -- which isnt a good sign.

I'm very positive on the transition that Cashman's made in the last few years. Shrewd personnel moves. Replenished the talent stockpile and didnt mortgage the future. We've got to maintain this approach. Keep feeding the farm system - let it keep feeding the team - and fill in with short term contracts with plug and play guys when a positional need arises and the occasional (OCCASIONAL) big ticket item - but no more Arod-like contracts - or not a handful of them at least. 

I also glad they got under the CAP and will avoid the luxury penalty. They were getting hosed bigtime by that tax - and it would be nice - nice, but probably wont happen - if they could field a top team but at a reduced / reasonable cost - and that ticket prices could come down a bit so the average fan (and not just Corporate America) could afford to go to the Stadium once in awhile.

The rotation does have its question marks and could go real wrong ( like any rotation really).

Sevy is a stud, but he did pitch a significant amount of innings more than last year which teams try to avoid due to injuries next year.

Gray was merely average with us last year , and we’ve been waiting for him to comeback to his dominant self for quite a bit. Who knows if that happens.

Tanaka’s elbow is a ticking time bomb and could blowout any time.

CC is old and that knee might not hold up for the year.

Montgomery had a very solid rookie year, but there’s no guarantee he improves. 

So ya, we do have our question marks, but I’m confident in Sevy, Gray and Tanaka. I also think Montgomery takes the next step.

In our minors, Chance Adams and Justice Sheffield are the two prospects who could make a splash, especially Sheffield who is a blue chip prospect. I’m not too high on Adams but him and Sheff should be ready come Summer Id assume.

Im a huge Clinf Frazier fan, and think he’s gonna be real good. I was not a fan of trading him for Cole but if the right pitcher came available I’d certainly explore it.

52 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Starting to hate Boone more and more. Can’t continue 5 inning starts for guys

Agree in the overall - you'll burn out a BP if you're throwing 2-3 each game - but I didnt see any of the game so I dont know the circumstance of Montgomery being pulled (baserunners, loss of control etc) but alot depends on how much Mongomery pitched in ST (this is his first start of the year). His pitch count was 80 and perhaps he tightened up cause its cold up there..... 

My larger concern is injuries (Ellsbury should just go home and collect a check......) and Betances lack of control. Thats gonna be a big problem.

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

Starting to hate Boone more and more. Can’t continue 5 inning starts for guys

Perhaps a reason the BPs getting so much work.......they need it:

Through the sixth inning of this, the fifth game of the Yankees' season ... NYY starters: 25.2 innings pitched, four earned runs allowed NYY bullpen: 14.1 innings, 14 earned runs allowed - Coley Harvey, ESPN Staff Writer

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

Perhaps a reason the BPs getting so much work.......they need it:

Through the sixth inning of this, the fifth game of the Yankees' season ... NYY starters: 25.2 innings pitched, four earned runs allowed NYY bullpen: 14.1 innings, 14 earned runs allowed - Coley Harvey, ESPN Staff Writer

The BP has been rough, but you can’t expect them to pitch 4 innings every game.

Montgomery had 4 walks and 2 hits but he wasn’t in much trouble at all. Send him out for the 6th see how he does. Gives up a walk or hit first batter then yank him, but give him a try.

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

The BP has been rough, but you can’t expect them to pitch 4 innings every game.

Montgomery had 4 walks and 2 hits but he wasn’t in much trouble at all. Send him out for the 6th see how he does. Gives up a walk or hit first batter then yank him, but give him a try.

I’m fine with it for now. Save Sevy and Tanaka’s arms for when we need them more.

Obviously if this continues then we have real problem.

12 hours ago, pollino14 said:

The BP has been rough, but you can’t expect them to pitch 4 innings every game. Montgomery had 4 walks and 2 hits but he wasn’t in much trouble at all. Send him out for the 6th see how he does. Gives up a walk or hit first batter then yank him, but give him a try.

Thanks for the game data - I wasnt watching or monitoring it on the net. Agree with the general point: Starters need to extend themselves wherever possible cause the BP isnt an inexhaustible commodity. This "infestation" of injuries aside.....hopefully that will chill out over time.....we're gonna live/die by our pitching. If Sevy goes down - well, let me just say I dont think Tanaka a fearsome #1 anymore. Crafty.....and occasionally excellent...but no more overpowering.....so the spectrum of his game is limited.

How's about our boy Greg Bird eh? I mean seriously. Are we ever gonna get a stretch of MONTHS - not days or weeks - from this guy w/o his foot/leg issues putting him on the DL? I'm starting to seriously wonder.

Liking the young guys getting a shot. The Tyler Twins. Hopefully they can contribute - fight for playing time and fill in when the positional holes show up (or rest the starters at various positions). Wade (I think it is.....) is showing good he's got a good bat.

And lastly........how's about that guy at SS?  Not too shabby eh? He's got a picture perfect swing for the Stadium.