2022 Early Draft Grade

Purplepride323

2022 Draft Grade  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial draft grade for the Vikings 2022 class?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

43 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Past performance isn't indicative of future results.

Past performance doesn't guarantee future results, but it certainly is indicative of it, unless evidence shows otherwise.

• Like 1

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2022/mike-taniers-2022-draft-not-grades

Minnesota Vikings

Improved Roster: B-
Used Resources Well: A
Met Needs: B-
FINAL PPA: B

Trading back in the first round and rebuilding the secondary ain't exactly sexy. But as is often noted at Walkthrough: the Vikings don't do sexy. Their greatest need is to overturn their Lost in the Late 2010s roster, and there's some wisdom to doing so from the bottom up, especially in a division where their veterans could easily buoy them in wild-card contention for yet another year. Kwesi Adofo-Mensah also rolled the Day 3 dice on some high-upside injury cases (Mizzou cornerback Akayleb Evans, Michigan State receiver Jalen Nailor), a reasonable tactic at the start of a rebuild.

A dip into the Day 2 quarterback pool and/or an earlier-round receiver would have made this draft class much more interesting and encouraging, but the Vikings are at least starting to steer their longboat in a new direction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2022/mike-taniers-2022-draft-not-grades

Minnesota Vikings

Improved Roster: B-
Used Resources Well: A
Met Needs: B-
FINAL PPA: B

Trading back in the first round and rebuilding the secondary ain't exactly sexy. But as is often noted at Walkthrough: the Vikings don't do sexy. Their greatest need is to overturn their Lost in the Late 2010s roster, and there's some wisdom to doing so from the bottom up, especially in a division where their veterans could easily buoy them in wild-card contention for yet another year. Kwesi Adofo-Mensah also rolled the Day 3 dice on some high-upside injury cases (Mizzou cornerback Akayleb Evans, Michigan State receiver Jalen Nailor), a reasonable tactic at the start of a rebuild.

A dip into the Day 2 quarterback pool and/or an earlier-round receiver would have made this draft class much more interesting and encouraging, but the Vikings are at least starting to steer their longboat in a new direction.

The "earlier round wide receiver" bit is dumb, if you ask me. We still have Thielen as our #2, and he's a TD machine. KJ Osborn had 5 games last season with more then 4 catches as our #3, and showed every indication that he's going to be, at the very least, a very reliable #3, and he has all the traits to be a high-level #2. I expect he'll make a good leap in year 3. 

The Day 2 quarterback pool is even more dumb. There's a reason no one wanted to touch the QBs until the 3rd round. They simply are not better than what Kirk Cousins is. We already have a toolsy 3rd round project on the roster. No need to waste a draft pick on another one. Whether Ingram and Asamoah were the right choices at their positions is up for debate, but there's almost no question that they'll contribute far more than any of th Day 2 QBs will. Especially for the Vikings.

• Like 5

It is pretty dumb to make those suggestions, but I'm assuming he's directly referring to Malik Willis when he's saying Day 2 QB, but he was right there for the taking...but, we did take a Day 2 QB last year and that doesn't appear, at this point, that that's going to go anywhere.  The receiver thing is just stupid...the receiver class will be good again next year, so if Thielen is let go then (or likely restructure), then we can talk about taking an earlier WR.  

I like they built depth and got lots of highly athletic players.

initially I didn’t like the trade down but looking at who they still got I’m OK with it.

I don’t like they drafted someone with a history of sexual assault.

I don’t like they didn’t draft Willis when he was available in the 2nd. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm ok with them not drafting him. If they thought he was a franchise guy they would've taken him at 12.

Also allows them to get a full year with Mond and give him a fair evaluation. 

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I’m more than thrilled that they didn’t. 

This year’s QB class was trash, and a lot of people bought into the media’s hype to try and build it up. 

I said it back in February, Mond was a better prospect than anyone in this class. Keep developing him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m more than thrilled that they didn’t. 

This year’s QB class was trash, and a lot of people bought into the media’s hype to try and build it up. 

I said it back in February, Mond was a better prospect than anyone in this class. Keep developing him. 

Maybe, but two coin flips are better than one 

Interesting nugget, in Graff's Q & A at the athletic yesterday, he said he thinks if the team stayed and pick at 12, it would not have been Jameson Williams or Kyle Hamilton.

He couldn't nail it down but from what he gathered, he says probably Jordan Davis.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

He couldn't nail it down but from what he gathered, he says probably Jordan Davis.

That would not have surprised me. The NFL values traits very highly, and a guy like Davis could be a unicorn in the right system and with the proper coaching. 

2 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Interesting nugget, in Graff's Q & A at the athletic yesterday, he said he thinks if the team stayed and pick at 12, it would not have been Jameson Williams or Kyle Hamilton.

Yep I could definitely see that. Especially since they were fine with letting Jameson Williams go to DET, if they stayed I would have thought Jordan Davis as well to make our front 7 defense that much stronger (especially with DT on his last year of his contract).

Edited by CriminalMind