2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

I keep coming back to Luck as his best comparison. But...I think he’s such a unique prospect that I keep going back to other comparisons. I did read an interesting comparison that I actually somewhat agree with, and that’s Joe Montana. Albeit a bigger framed Montana. Montana and Darnold are both really composed in critical moments and when the lights are on they deliver. I also read an interesting snippet from a paid site that I may cliff note in here about Darnolds high school days.  Don’t have the time to go into it right now.

Btw that is part of that “it” factor that I subscribe in. 

like.

no position matters more under pressure than QB. 

Darnold doesn't play heo ball, just ball. 

some people panick, some people focus, Darnold focuses. 

its like when we have an emergency at work, I just start yelling out orders. 

If I was too inches taller, could throw the ball beyond 30 yards, and accurately and run a 40 two seconds better than 7 seconds and lose 40 pounds and work hard and be born in America from being a college QB at the D3 level. 

5 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

like.

If I was too inches taller, could throw the ball beyond 30 yards, and accurately and run a 40 two seconds better than 7 seconds and lose 40 pounds and work hard and be born in America from being a college QB at the D3 level. 

Haha yeah just stick to poking needles in peoples a$$es ?

8 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

like.

For real tho, calmness under pressure is an underrated quality and Sam has it in spades. 

Joe Cool. Nothing works with Sam unfortunately 

3 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

For real tho, calmness under pressure is an underrated quality and Sam has it in spades. 

Joe Cool. Nothing works with Sam unfortunately 

If you have a good enough arm to be an NFL QB I think that is the #1 attribute to have. It really isn't a learned thing, most either have it or not. Losing it completely is what we call a broken QB. It will still have to be earned in the NFL, different animal and all but odds are if you can keep your wits while under pressure in college it is a good sign that you should be able to do it in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If you have a good enough arm to be an NFL QB I think that is the #1 attribute to have. It really isn't a learned thing, most either have it or not. Losing it completely is what we call a broken QB. It will still have to be earned in the NFL, different animal and all but odds are if you can keep your wits while under pressure in college it is a good sign that you should be able to do it in the NFL.

Yep I agree. That and accuracy are natural gifts that only certain qbs have. Those and mental processing are what make the greats great. 

31 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I keep coming back to Luck as his best comparison. But...I think he’s such a unique prospect that I keep going back to other comparisons. I did read an interesting comparison that I actually somewhat agree with, and that’s Joe Montana. Albeit a bigger framed Montana. Montana and Darnold are both really composed in critical moments and when the lights are on they deliver. I also read an interesting snippet from a paid site that I may cliff note in here about Darnolds high school days.  Don’t have the time to go into it right now.

Btw that is part of that “it” factor that I subscribe in. 

Well a bigger Montana certainly is >>> a smaller Farve. ;)

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Comparing Mayfield to Brees feels outrageous to me. Literally the most accurate QB in pro football history.

Mayfield is literally one of the most accurate QBs in college football history. If you just look at his stats of Oklahoma, he is 3rd on the list for highest completion % at 69.8.

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I get this. I do. I just don't agree with it.

I mean, where are we getting the idea that Baker is maxed out? What good NFL QBs came in maxed out because they did well in college? This seems like a confirmation bias thing, I like the less developed guy so the more developed one must be at his ceiling. As opposed to say, Darnold and Allen, in which case Allen is way to risky because he isn't developed.

I don't get why having good coaches, and being willing to learn from and listen to those coaches, is a mark against his development. Doesn't that just mean that he'll take less time to learn ABC and be ready to move on to XYZ quicker?

Physical tools =/= potential. If it did, we could just do a version of the combine with arm tests included and draft based on that. Your ceiling is where your strengths become elite and your weaknesses are improved on to the point where they don't kill you. With THAT definition of upside (realistic upside as opposed to physical/athletic upside), I think it's clear that Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, and Jackson all have awesome upsides. Allen has upside too, but his bust factor is huge. None of them are maxed out because they are all 20 something year old kids. There's always something to improve. The question is does that person have the character, determination, and mental/physical ability to do so.

Yes please.

Is he completely maxed out? prolly not but I dont see huge flaws in his game that is holding him back to be even better. Only thing truly holding Baker back is his side and lack of elite athleticism. Hell if Baker was 6'3 220+ he would hands down the #1 QB IMO.

I believe Allen is way to risky for the Browns. A lot of people say to truly get the most out of Allen, he should sit for close to two seasons.

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Mayfield is literally one of the most accurate QBs in college football history. If you just look at his stats of Oklahoma, he is 3rd on the list for highest completion % at 69.8.

You do realize stats in college don’t equal stats in the nfl? It’s so much more complex than raw stats. 

Talking about a comparison for Darnold. I think he could be a better version of Tony Romo. If you look at Romo, he was a pretty darn good NFL QB.

• top35 in career completions 
  • top35 in career yards
  • top25 in career TDS
  • top5 in career rating
  • top40 in career yards per game

You dont realize how good Romo truly was until you look at his stats. Its weird.

I feel like he could be a bigger, stronger, faster, Tony Romo. If so, thats a damn good QB!

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

You do realize stats in college don’t equal stats in the nfl? It’s so much more complex than raw stats. 

Brees was 61%ish in college.

72% last year.

Almost 67% for his career.

Go figure.

Archived