Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

This man @TheRealMcCoy just got the adderall prescription eh?

Nah. If I was on Adderall which I have been, cause I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid… it wouldn’t speed me up like it would you since it operates different with the brain chemistry of someone who has ADD as it slows things down and allows them to focus.

I just am really passionate about the Eagles and the draft lol. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FinSting said:

One minute you're a 1st-rd draft pick, next minute you're dancing shirtless on top of a car

Dudes rollercoaster ride of a “career” was something to watch…. was more like a train wreck tbh.

I also hope he has stopped rapping for good, cause he is complete and utter garbage at it smh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

Really, REALLY not a fan of taking a QB on day 3 for the sake of taking a QB on Day 3. Since the 2012 NFL draft (Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins) here are ALL of the QBs taken on day 3 (Up to the 2020 NFL Draft):

Actually the only QB you mentioned there taken on day 3 was Kirk Cousins who was taken in the early 4th round.

I’ll never forget Wilson and Foles were 3rd round picks, cause it’s widely known among Eagles fans that our top QB target was Russell Wilson and Seattle traded up ahead of us to snag him causing us to pivot to Nick Foles. Howie has admitted since then that he learned if you like a QB don’t wait on them. I think it was a driving force behind him over drafting (teams didn’t have a 1st or 2nd on him) Jalen Hurts by probably a round or so worrying that he wouldn’t be able to get him later.

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I think Atlanta's class will probably have the widest range of opinions on it. 

I think you line, "not a class without its risks" sums it up because this feels like they were going for high floor players. This draft is the negative immage of the Colts draft. Both should produce good NFL players, but one costs a lot more.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I just like how Seattle started prioritizing OL AFTER dumping their franchise QB.   Who cares about Russell Wilson, but gotta protect Drew Lock!  xD

Gonna assume they have actually learned from Russell's departure. We better get this OL fixed for whomever we take in next years draft as our next FQBOTF and a Rookie to boot.

Thier own Stupidity for allowing that OL to become that pitiful. 

• Like 1

Maybe there is something to the green revolution. All three green teams made the top 10, top six actually.

Who would'a thunk that the Jets and Lions make the top five? The Ravens and Chiefs, sure. Baltimore is the acknowledged expert at this game and the Chiefs had extra picks in the first three rounds. Anyone pick the Eagles, Lions, Jets trfecta could have won some serious psuedo-cash.

5. Philadelphia Eagles

Eagles Superfan Shoots His Shot At Reporter During NFL Draft, Gets Brutally  Shot Down - BroBible

This Class In One Sentence:

Just a wild rollercoaster, Howie loves himself some drama

Pre-Draft Needs

CB, LB, S, WR, EDGE

Selections

Round 1. 13. Jordan Davis  | DT | Georgia

AJ Brown in trade with Tennessee

Round 2. 51. Cam Jurgens  | C | Nebraska

Round 3. 83. Nakobe Dean  | LB | Georgia

Round 6. 181. Kyron Johnson  | LB | Kansas

Round 6. 198. Grant Calcaterra  | TE | SMU

What I liked:

Sometimes it can be difficult to see a plan in Philly, that front office makes a lot of moves – it takes time for the smoke to settle. Three first round picks were turned, amongst other things, into Jordan Davis, AJ Brown and a first in 2023. But it’s not difficult to see that the Eagles had a very strong weekend here and set themselves up to have another good time in 2023 where they can move on at QB if Hurts doesn’t continue to progress. If he does, then it makes them incredibly dangerous moving forward.

I kind of liked the move up for the big man. He had some (fair) criticism surrounding his lack of conditioning at Georgia where snap counts were limited and he looked gassed when they weren’t. But Jordan Davis is just a rare specimen, perhaps a once-in a decade athletic and size combination. That means something, certainly for Howie who has a fetish for those guys. He’s a Chubby Chaser, a Big-Boy Botherer and knows these guys lay the table for that defense to eat.

The Eagles also had to make moves at receiver and decided to go all-in on AJ Brown with the trade and immediate contract signing. I just think that’s a huge win for them, to be able to take a proven commodity – someone who clearly loves the game and gives them a threat in the air and after the ball has been corralled. It is fascinating that three of the premier teams in the league, Packers, Chiefs and Titans have all lost their primary wide receiver in this off-season. 

Cam Jurgens I liked and he’s obviously been drafted as a 1-for-1 replacement for Jason Kelce. 51st overall feels a tiny rich, maybe? It’s probably fine, he’s certainly smooth and rangy on the move. Nakobe Dean in the third is absurd if you assume there aren’t long-term concerns about his health. I don’t think we can just assume that unless all other NFL GMs are insane. That was a concerning slide, but if the Eagles are confident they can get him into NFL shape – then that’s unreal value. He just had an insane knack for diagnosing a play and beating running backs to the hole.

I quite like Grant Calcaterra as a second/third tight end type, or a core special teams guy. Same goes for Kyron Johnson.

What I didn’t like:

Man, it’s really hard to find something once we hit this level. No edge adds, means the ghost of Brandon Graham will probably have to play more than expected. Cornerback remains remarkably thin. Darius Slay is on the wrong side of 30 and Avonte Maddox just posted a horrendous 37.8 grade with PFF when moved outside last year. Barring a FA pick-up or trade, there is only hope for development from within at that spot.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

5. Philadelphia Eagles

Eagles Superfan Shoots His Shot At Reporter During NFL Draft, Gets Brutally  Shot Down - BroBible

This Class In One Sentence:

Just a wild rollercoaster, Howie loves himself some drama

Pre-Draft Needs

CB, LB, S, WR, EDGE

Selections

Round 1. 13. Jordan Davis  | DT | Georgia

AJ Brown in trade with Tennessee

Round 2. 51. Cam Jurgens  | C | Nebraska

Round 3. 83. Nakobe Dean  | LB | Georgia

Round 6. 181. Kyron Johnson  | LB | Kansas

Round 6. 198. Grant Calcaterra  | TE | SMU

What I liked:

Sometimes it can be difficult to see a plan in Philly, that front office makes a lot of moves – it takes time for the smoke to settle. Three first round picks were turned, amongst other things, into Jordan Davis, AJ Brown and a first in 2023. But it’s not difficult to see that the Eagles had a very strong weekend here and set themselves up to have another good time in 2023 where they can move on at QB if Hurts doesn’t continue to progress. If he does, then it makes them incredibly dangerous moving forward.

I kind of liked the move up for the big man. He had some (fair) criticism surrounding his lack of conditioning at Georgia where snap counts were limited and he looked gassed when they weren’t. But Jordan Davis is just a rare specimen, perhaps a once-in a decade athletic and size combination. That means something, certainly for Howie who has a fetish for those guys. He’s a Chubby Chaser, a Big-Boy Botherer and knows these guys lay the table for that defense to eat.

The Eagles also had to make moves at receiver and decided to go all-in on AJ Brown with the trade and immediate contract signing. I just think that’s a huge win for them, to be able to take a proven commodity – someone who clearly loves the game and gives them a threat in the air and after the ball has been corralled. It is fascinating that three of the premier teams in the league, Packers, Chiefs and Titans have all lost their primary wide receiver in this off-season. 

Cam Jurgens I liked and he’s obviously been drafted as a 1-for-1 replacement for Jason Kelce. 51st overall feels a tiny rich, maybe? It’s probably fine, he’s certainly smooth and rangy on the move. Nakobe Dean in the third is absurd if you assume there aren’t long-term concerns about his health. I don’t think we can just assume that unless all other NFL GMs are insane. That was a concerning slide, but if the Eagles are confident they can get him into NFL shape – then that’s unreal value. He just had an insane knack for diagnosing a play and beating running backs to the hole.

I quite like Grant Calcaterra as a second/third tight end type, or a core special teams guy. Same goes for Kyron Johnson.

What I didn’t like:

Man, it’s really hard to find something once we hit this level. No edge adds, means the ghost of Brandon Graham will probably have to play more than expected. Cornerback remains remarkably thin. Darius Slay is on the wrong side of 30 and Avonte Maddox just posted a horrendous 37.8 grade with PFF when moved outside last year. Barring a FA pick-up or trade, there is only hope for development from within at that spot.

Great writeup! Avonte Maddox is our slot corner who plays very well there, and got a nice extension for that position last year in-season. His experiment at outside corner was abysmal in 2020. I do feel he's one of the premier slot corners in the league. CB2 huge question mark at the moment though. James Bradberry?

• Like 2

Very fair write-up @goldfishwars. I thought we could be anywhere from 5-7, so this makes sense. While I pretty much liked every pick we made like I said before in this thread we still only made 5 selections, so despite what I thought was getting a great compliment to DeVonta in AJ and deferred our 1st to a better QB class and picked up an extra future 2nd that wasn't gonna be enough to be placed in the very top with teams like the Ravens and Chiefs who made 2X as many picks and hit on a lot of good value or the Jets who only had 2 more picks, but picked a lot of those players with much higher picks. Can't wait to read the rest of the write-ups for the best draft classes. Seems like you're zooming through this thread more than other ones you've done in the past or I could just be imagining it lol.

• Like 1

Been watching with anticipation since Page 1. Curious where the Eagles would place. Needless to say this is by far the best overall ranking for us since you started doing these.

As usual, spot on analysis. If Dean is indeed health free, that pick is an absolute steal and game changer for this Eagles Defense.  Paired with Davis in front of him, down right scary.

🥃👍

• Like 1