Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

On 5/6/2022 at 1:59 PM, goldfishwars said:

14. Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals: Closer look at Bengals' 2022 draft picks

This Class In One Sentence:

A draft with a preference for versatility 

Pre-Draft Needs

S, C, CB, TE

Selections

Round 1. 31. Daxton Hill  | S | Michigan

Round 2. 60. Cam Taylor-Britt  | CB | Nebraska

Round 3. 95. Zachary Carter  | DT | Florida

Round 4. 136. Cordell Volson  | OT | North Dakota State

Round 5. 166. Tycen Anderson  | S | Toledo

Round 7. 252. Jeffrey Gunter  | DE | Coastal Carolina

What I liked:

Obviously the Bengals decided to turn their attention away from the offensive line, after some key additions in free agency. That attention seemed to switch to a secondary, once a great area of strength and now needing some patching-up. I think it was non-flashy draft, but resources were well-spent. 

I loved the Daxton Hill selection, he was one of my favorite players in the class and someone I expected New England to take a very close look at given his skill-set. He’s super smart, highly versatile and could play anywhere on the back end, including on at boundary corner if needed. 

I liked Cam Taylor-Britt also, quite a bit – another player I thought the Pats would look at given his similarl versatility having played some corner and safety at Nebraska. He was actually once an insanely good high school quarterback, and has elite speed and is an ascending talent at the back end. Tycen Anderson is really intriguing in the 5th round too, a big, fast strong safety who can hit. The Bengals have done a good job in adding athletic pieces to the secondary.

Zach Carter is fine at 95, and fits the theme of someone who can rotate in at a couple of spots on the edge and has packed down inside for the Gators too. Jeffrey Gunter comes in a similar package in round 7. 

What I didn’t like:

This is pretty minor because Cordell Volson is a decent swing in the fourth round on a developmental guard/tackle. There were other guys in that range I might have preferred - Zach Tom and Darian Kinnard for example. If he does end up inside permanently, he's tall at 6'7. I would loved Tom here, who many liked at center, with Ted Karras being okay to middling as a starter in the league.

Volson ended up having one of the biggest impacts of the class, along with Taylor-Britt.  He started every game at LG.  Meanwhile Dax seemingly struggled in the jack of all trades role, but in fairness it was always about replacing Bates long term.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:48 PM, goldfishwars said:

8. Houston Texans

Texans 2022: Important dates from NFL Scouting Combine to draft

This Class In One Sentence:

Nick Caserio kicks off the Belichick shackles and grabs a solid haul of high-floor draft prospects

Pre-Draft Needs

Everything

Selections

Round 1. 3. Derek Stingley Jr.  | CB | LSU

Round 1. 15. Kenyon Green  | OG | Texas A&M

Round 2. 37. Jalen Pitre  | S | Baylor

Round 2. 44. John Metchie III  | WR | Alabama

Round 3. 75. Christian Harris  | LB | Alabama

Round 4. 107. Dameon Pierce  | RB | Florida

Round 5. 150. Thomas Booker  | DT | Stanford

Round 5. 170. Teagan Quitoriano  | TE | Oregon State

Round 6. 205. Austin Deculus  | OT | LSU

What I liked:

Isn’t strange that every GM who transcended the New England front office, suddenly starts putting together draft classes closer to consensus opinions? I’m not saying one approach is better than the other, or advocating for group-think. But, what I’m saying is these fellas don’t want to take that magic formula with them, for whatever reason.

I like the Stingley pick, even it carries with it some risk. He’s a prospect whose stock was all over the place after a confusing post 2019 career where the sky was limit. Clearly he’s an exceptional talent, and his peaks probably transcend the entire class – you just have to go back a while to see it consistently. But he does play at a position considered to be an absolute cornerstone piece for Casserio who shares a belief that defensive pressure can be built from the outside, in.

I love the Jalen Pitre pick-up, someone who was one of my favorite players in this draft. He’s an electric eel at the back-end who plays with uncanny play-recognition and always seems to be around the football. He filled in all over the place at Baylor – including at linebacker. I love that selection as much as any taken in the entire draft.

Metchie III can become a very solid second receiver in the league, even if better (and healthier) receivers came off the board later. There is a Robert Woods likeness about his game, a polish over the more explosive receivers coming out of Alabama. If Houston were targeting high-floor talents as they appeared to be, he is one. Similarly, Christian Harris was a three year starter from that same huge program – he’s an explosive hitter who is ready to roll. I also liked Dameon Pierce in the 4th, he can be an asset on the ground and as a receiver. I don’t understand why he wasn’t in that top-tier bracket for backs in this year’s class, he is every bit as good. Given the other backs currently on this roster, a bet on Pierce for OFROY isn't a bad idea.

What I didn’t like:

I didn’t not like Green at 15, I think he’s an exceptional run blocker when playing to the limit of his talents and this will probably be a solid selection. The positional value here gives me slight pause, with the franchise being rebuilt brick by brick and under its second head coach in as many years. The fact the Texans did not add a pass-rusher, even in a deep class, makes this a little iffy considering how much Jonathan Greenard desperately needs a running mate.

Stingley Jr is still an injury concern. Hopefully fit and in Ryans scheme he will flourish (I think he has a far higher ceiling than Sauce). C

Green was terrible last year. The only way is up, literally, I think he was like a bottom 5 graded OG. F

Pitre had a great rookie season however he is still raw around the edges, if we want to be successful he needs to iron those out. Same goes for Christian Harris, clearly talented but he misses a lot of tackles. B+

Pierce was a stud last year and hopefully with an improved OL, QB, WRs, TE and OC and he should be even better. A+

Thomas Booker is a project who will probably not work out unless DeMeco can work wonders. D

Quitoriano actually saw the field some last year and was actually above average. B-

Deculus won't make the cut. D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

32nd ranked, we all agreed at the time, actually one of the most impactful classes in the league last season in terms of minutes played. Has to be. A good draft, for BB and co. 

Is PT a good indicator of impact classes? Hypothetically, those minutes dwarfed the minutes of some rookies such as Breece Hall, Dameon Pierce, etc. Does that make them more impactful picks or did opportunity present themselves in a more immediate fashion?

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

Is PT a good indicator of impact classes? Hypothetically, those minutes dwarfed the minutes of some rookies such as Breece Hall, Dameon Pierce, etc. Does that make them more impactful picks or did opportunity present themselves in a more immediate fashion?

It wasn't just PT, two key starters from that class in Strange (who never came off the field apart from one series in Miami where they were managing due to heat, and he played well until Andrews went out) and Jones (he was the top-graded defensive rookie in the NFL [90.5] through 11 weeks, per PFF). Some TDs from other players like Thornton, Harris, Zappe. So no, I agree, not just time on field, but this class was one of our more impactful ones of recent years.

Still not bullish on the Pats class, even if Jack Jones was a nice surprise. Marcus Jones I was already high on.

Cole Strange was not good. Graded 54.5 by PFF, top ten in penalties caused and top 5 in sacks allowed. Lack of anchor was a knock on him as a prospect and that was exposed a lot. Thornton looked lightweight and got hurt. Zappe is what he is and there was very little from everywhere else.

14 hours ago, UKTexans said:

Stingley Jr is still an injury concern. Hopefully fit and in Ryans scheme he will flourish (I think he has a far higher ceiling than Sauce). C

Green was terrible last year. The only way is up, literally, I think he was like a bottom 5 graded OG. F

Pitre had a great rookie season however he is still raw around the edges, if we want to be successful he needs to iron those out. Same goes for Christian Harris, clearly talented but he misses a lot of tackles. B+

Pierce was a stud last year and hopefully with an improved OL, QB, WRs, TE and OC and he should be even better. A+

Thomas Booker is a project who will probably not work out unless DeMeco can work wonders. D

Quitoriano actually saw the field some last year and was actually above average. B-

Deculus won't make the cut. D

How so? Sauce was a first team all pro. The only way his ceiling would be higher would be defensive player of the year or MVP.

Do you think he will hit those heights? 

11 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

How so? Sauce was a first team all pro. The only way his ceiling would be higher would be defensive player of the year or MVP.

Do you think he will hit those heights? 

I think he's a more talented CB who played on a bad team with a DC stuck in the early 2000s.

Stingley may never make an All-Pro in his career, though I would be surprised, and could still end up a better player over his career.

Unless you're assuming Sauce makes the All-Pro every season? One season does not make a career.

Just to add, Laremy Tunsil had arguably the best season for a LT last year and didn't get a sniff at All-Pro.

Edited by UKTexans

2 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

I think he's a more talented CB who played on a bad team with a DC stuck in the early 2000s.

Stingley may never make an All-Pro in his career, though I would be surprised, and could still end up a better player over his career.

Unless you're assuming Sauce makes the All-Pro every season? One season does not make a career.

Just to add, Laremy Tunsil had arguably the best season for a LT last year and didn't get a sniff at All-Pro.

I disagree but I think both players are very good and as a LSU fan I got to see a lot of Stingley and I do rate him very high. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2023 at 9:15 AM, goldfishwars said:

Still not bullish on the Pats class, even if Jack Jones was a nice surprise. Marcus Jones I was already high on.

Cole Strange was not good. Graded 54.5 by PFF, top ten in penalties caused and top 5 in sacks allowed. Lack of anchor was a knock on him as a prospect and that was exposed a lot. Thornton looked lightweight and got hurt. Zappe is what he is and there was very little from everywhere else.

I’d like to see figures with Andrews in the lineup and without. Seemed night and day on the eye test. Would be nice for our rookie first round G to actually have a bit of stability on the line. Doesn’t look like he’s going to get it this season either 

On 5/3/2022 at 3:00 PM, goldfishwars said:

Round 2. 61. Drake Jackson  | DE | USC

Round 3. 93. Tyrion Davis-Price  | RB | LSU

Round 3. 105. Danny Gray  | WR | SMU

Round 4. 134. Spencer Burford  | OT | UTSA

Round 5. 172. Samuel Womack  | CB | Toledo

Round 6. 187. Nick Zakelj  | OT | Fordham

Round 6. 220. Kalia Davis  | DT | UCF

Round 6. 221. Tariq Castro-Fields  | CB | Penn State

Round 7. 262. Brock Purdy  | QB | Iowa State

Drake Jackson looks like a not great pass rusher who could be a solid complimentary all around edge. He's fine. 

Tdp is the 4th string running back, though he did look better this off season and Danny Gray caught 1 pass his first year and is starting year 2 on IR. Both are more bust than boom right now. 

Spencer Buford is the starting RG. He started last year and rotated with brunskill. He wasn't great, but he wasn't awful. He was just a below replacement level starter last year. Hoping for a jump. 

Womack is a rotational corner. He'll flash every now and again, but wasn't able to capitalize this off season and make his mark

Nick zakelj is one of the worst offensive linemen I've seen. Should not have made the team, no idea how he did. 

Castro Fields was cut last year, claimed by Washington. Was cut by Washington this year. 

Kalia Davis redshirted last year, but made the team this year. Niners have proven to get good production from late defensive linemen. 

Brock Purdy makes this draft a winner so far

• Like 2

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Wonder how my fellow Pats fans are feeling about this class now

So, 3 starters from top 4 - well, 2.5 if you consider heavy formations exist as well (Marcus drops out). There's certainly some disappointments there like Thornton and the RBs. Why we drafted Kevin Harris I will never know. But if this Strong trade with the browns gives us more stability on the OL (not saying it will) then that's a good chip used from this draft as well.

I don't think it's 32nd, but it's still not a good draft.