2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

7 hours ago, ObotimusPrime said:

I just think someone who’s put up these type of numbers in 2 years (8,000+ throwing yards), has this much passing attempts/ experience throwing the ball (in the SEC with a NFL offensive scheme) will not fail in the NFL… barring injury with me realizing that’s a big if. If he does bust, we know it won’t be for immaturity like a few other shorter QBs in the last 5-10 years.  

Agreed - if you look past the size concerns, you’d be *drooling* over this production against top level talent (and without a typical Alabama offense in 2022).

This isn’t Mac Jones throwing to Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle and Najee Harris. This current Alabama team doesn’t have Jameson Williams or John Metchie or Brian Robinson Jr - Jahmyr Gibbs might be an early 2nd round pick this year, JaCorey Brooks might be a 2nd round pick next season. Outside of those two, this offense is not your typical Alabama roster; This is a team with a bunch of day 2/3 guys on offense.

Despite that, Young had them running well.

On 9/6/2022 at 4:29 AM, ET80 said:
On 5/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, ET80 said:

I am expecting a meteoric rise from Florida QB Anthony Richardson and Tennessee QB Hendon Hooker.

Gonna double down on this - I feel solid on Hooker, but going to go all in on Richardson at 1.1; That performance against Utah is the first of many signature wins for the 6' 4" 230lb freak athlete.

I can't say whether or not the Texans are picking 1.1, but whoever is picking there is grabbing Richardson.

I’m… yeah, I’m going to say that this has an outside chance of happening. Richardson really evolved over an early rut, and while consistency is an issue, you can’t ignore how explosive he was in those moments where he showed up. He’s not Cam Newton coming out of Auburn, but he’s cut from that same cloth physically with an evolving grasp of how to analyze game situations.

…and before you say “cAm nEwToN wAsN’t gOoD” go ahead and check his resume. Dude was a mutant coming out of Auburn, had the greatest college season ever coming out of college (only surpassed by Joe Burrow recently) and was the unquestioned #1 pick in a draft class than has four sure-fire HoF guys in it (Von, Watt, Julio, Sherman). He was a OROY and league MVP; Had he not been so reckless with his play-style and a bit more studious with his work ethic, he’s probably still a high level QB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Here’s a legit question: if Young played for Kentucky and Levis played for Alabama would young even be drafted in round 1?

He was a 5 star recruit even with size limitations and more than lived up to his hype. The only thing he didn’t accomplish was winning a national championship. I believe Young would have been successful at Kentucky and if they competed in most games, yea I think he’d still be in the 1st round convo.

And once again, Levis transferred bc he couldn’t win the job. It wasn’t Joe Burrow situation where he left a packed QB room at a NFL factory. 

Edited by ObotimusPrime
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ObotimusPrime said:

And once again, Levis transferred bc he couldn’t win the job. It wasn’t Joe Burrow situation where he left a packed QB room and a NFL factory. 

This part can’t be ignored. Levis couldn’t beat out… future UDFA/PS QB Sean Clifford.

Meanwhile - Bryce Young beat out Paul Tyson (4 Star recruit, potential starter for Clemson next season, great grandson of Alabama legend Paul “Bear” Bryant) and Jalen Milroe (an elite 11 QB and future 1st round pick) for the starting job. To beat out that sort of pedigree means he has something to offer.

If Levis played at Alabama - he doesn’t see the field (or switches positions to maybe TE) and we’re talking about Milroe as a 2024 top 5 pick. If Young played at Kentucky, he leaves as a three year starter and top 10 pick.

21 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I think we are a FG away from Stroud winning the national championship and being the first QB taken

I wouldn’t be shocked in the least. I think we still might see Stroud go 1.1 even with the OSU loss vs a Georgia monster - he has a sterling body of work, he’s lived up to expectations as a highly sought after recruit, he demonstrates several plus attributes that can be further refined into a pro offense. There’s a lot to like about him on film and in the workouts he’s going to do.

I think what’s going to shock people is how athletic he is, he’s going to post a time in the low 4.5 and people are going to give him a lot of credit as a dual threat QB. (People forget his first collegiate play was a 48 yard TD run as a freshman - kid can run). 

If Stroud goes 1.1, it means teams value production along with prototypical size/athletic ability.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I wouldn’t be shocked in the least. I think we still might see Stroud go 1.1 even with the OSU loss vs a Georgia monster - he has a sterling body of work, he’s lived up to expectations as a highly sought after recruit, he demonstrates several plus attributes that can be further refined into a pro offense. There’s a lot to like about him on film and in the workouts he’s going to do.

I think what’s going to shock people is how athletic he is, he’s going to post a time in the low 4.5 and people are going to give him a lot of credit as a dual threat QB. (People forget his first collegiate play was a 48 yard TD run as a freshman - kid can run). 

If Stroud goes 1.1, it means teams value production along with prototypical size/athletic ability.

ill be shocked if we ever get a 40 time on Stroud. He definitely wont run at the combine 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that Bryce Young will not go 1.1 because of that size. It will either be Anderson or a team that trades up for Stroud. Young's size is going to turn alot of teams off. I just hope that if Texans are gifted Young at 1.2, they dont fumble it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blaze said:

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that Bryce Young will not go 1.1 because of that size. It will either be Anderson or a team that trades up for Stroud. Young's size is going to turn alot of teams off. I just hope that if Texans are gifted Young at 1.2, they dont fumble it. 

I’m bracing for Caserio to go double birds like Lovie and pick Will Levis. 

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’m bracing for Caserio to go double birds like Lovie and pick Will Levis. 

I could even find a way to be down with Levis but I hope I dont have to. I am not as critical on Levis as others but he isnt a top 2 selection to me. Too many developmental flaws for me. 1.2 should be starting week one and I don't think Levis can. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Question for the “Bryce Young is too small” crowd:

What are your thoughts on Will Anderson? 

Will Anderson is a bit small for the position, but not in an injury risk way. So it isn't the same. I don't think the size will limit him in pass rushing, it will a bit in run defense, but I'd take the trade off.

17 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Will Anderson is a bit small for the position, but not in an injury risk way. So it isn't the same. I don't think the size will limit him in pass rushing, it will a bit in run defense, but I'd take the trade off.

A *bit* small? He’s 243 lbs - he’s giving up near 100 lbs to guys like Quenton Nelson and Trent Williams. Heck, Derrick Henry has him beat by close to 10 lbs.

He doesn’t have the bend of a guy like Nick Bosa (265 lbs) or the power of Myles Garrett (271 lbs) and his hand usage could be limited when trying to punch a guy who has that much mass on him. His speed needs to be beyond where it is, because if someone who outweighs you by 100 lbs locks on, you’re not going anywhere. 

I also don’t know how you can assume this is a non-injury risk - contact is guaranteed on every down when you’re in the box, how do you really justify this stance? This makes no sense whatsoever. If a big, strong, fast guy who has 100lbs on you hits you and drives you into the ground, there is no guarantee you just pop back up - there’s no flag coming out for roughing the DE, you don’t get fined for a pancake block - broken ribs and dislocated shoulders are absolutely on the table when you have a 250 lb frame getting driven into the ground by a 331 lb pulling G.

You’ll have to really go into this one for me to get it, because I’ve seen big Quenton Nelson pull around and seal the edge with bad intentions - I don’t care WHO you are, this is high risk:

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

A *bit* small? He’s 243 lbs - he’s giving up near 100 lbs to guys like Quenton Nelson and Trent Williams. Heck, Derrick Henry has him beat by close to 10 lbs.

He doesn’t have the bend of a guy like Nick Bosa (265 lbs) or the power of Myles Garrett (271 lbs) and his hand usage could be limited when trying to punch a guy who has that much mass on him. His speed needs to be beyond where it is, because if someone who outweighs you by 100 lbs locks on, you’re not going anywhere. 

I also don’t know how you can assume this is a non-injury risk - contact is guaranteed on every down when you’re in the box, how do you really justify this stance? This makes no sense whatsoever. If a big, strong, fast guy who has 100lbs on you hits you and drives you into the ground, there is no guarantee you just pop back up - there’s no flag coming out for roughing the DE, you don’t get fined for a pancake block - broken ribs and dislocated shoulders are absolutely on the table when you have a 250 lb frame getting driven into the ground by a 331 lb pulling G.

You’ll have to really go into this one for me to get it, because I’ve seen big Quenton Nelson pull around and seal the edge with bad intentions - I don’t care WHO you are, this is high risk:

And allow me to add on - I LOVE Will Anderson. If we selected him at 2 and then traded from 12 to 4-6 to get whoever falls between Richardson and Stroud, I’d lose my mind. I absolutely value the things Anderson does on the football field, he’s going to be a great player.

That doesn’t mean his size doesn’t represent a risk.