2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Don't discount Chicago moving on from Fields - his advance metrics as a passer were actually worse than Davis Mills. He's a fine athlete, but (to this point) a poor passer.

I dont see it. If this were a contract year, maybe but I believe he is going into year 3 of 5 and he showed with good coaching the potential that made him a 1st round pick. 

Drafting another QB would essentially mean starting over with no promise that you would hit on a franchise QB, let alone one better than Fields. 

Chicago has choices, but it's either weapons or defense at the top. Texans, just don't fumble Young. 

6 hours ago, Blaze said:

I dont see it. If this were a contract year, maybe but I believe he is going into year 3 of 5 and he showed with good coaching the potential that made him a 1st round pick. 

Drafting another QB would essentially mean starting over with no promise that you would hit on a franchise QB, let alone one better than Fields. 

Chicago has choices, but it's either weapons or defense at the top. Texans, just don't fumble Young. 

I agree. If it was a Joe burrow or Andrew luck then you take him and get rid of fields but there’s no one on that level 

On 1/15/2023 at 11:38 AM, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I think we're going to have to "answer" the QB spot before the draft at least to some extent. If we go into the draft with Davis Mills as starting QB and we get leap frogged for our guy, there has to be at least some contingency plan, especially considering Stroud has still yet to declare. 

Free agency precedes the draft IIRC. So besides trades...

Can choose from:

Baker Mayfield (no)

Sam Darnold (no)

Jimmy Garoppolo (Nick connection?)

Daniel Jones (probably re-signed esp. after play today)

Jacoby Brissett (eh)

Geno Smith (probably re-signed by SEA)

Andy Dalton (Katy Red Rifle)

Mike White (???)

Lamar Jackson (franchised by BAL?)

Tom Brady (eyes emoji)

Gardner Minshew (no)

Teddy Bridgewater (no)

Edited by jch1911

On 1/13/2023 at 7:29 PM, Blaze said:

I used to think this, but then I looked at his advanced passing metrics and boy - he is BAD:

Yeah, he’s an explosive runner - but he’s historically bad as a passer. That eventually catches up.

In addition, this current GM/HC team in Chicago (Ryan Poles/Matt Eberflus) didn’t draft Fields, that was Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy - there is nobody left that is tied to Fields in that FO or coaching staff. If they feel another QB in this spot is better suited for their team, they’ll go with him.

I’m not saying it’s a forgone conclusion or anything, but if they get blown away by Young, Stroud, Levis or Richardson… don’t be too surprised if you start hearing Justin Fields trade rumors.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:34 PM, jch1911 said:

Free agency precedes the draft IIRC. So besides trades...

Can choose from:

Baker Mayfield (no)

Sam Darnold (no)

Jimmy Garoppolo (Nick connection?)

Daniel Jones (probably re-signed esp. after play today)

Jacoby Brissett (eh)

Geno Smith (probably re-signed by SEA)

Andy Dalton (Katy Red Rifle)

Mike White (???)

Lamar Jackson (franchised by BAL?)

Tom Brady (eyes emoji)

Gardner Minshew (no)

Teddy Bridgewater (no)

Trey Lance maybe? Mike White would be perfect imo bc he's good enough that it's definitely an improvement but not good enough to disqualify us from taking a QB. I would also entertain a scenario where Geno Smith is packaged along with two or three FRPs (including #5) for #2.

Really, we need to know who the head coach is and who the OC is gonna be so we know what the plan is first I feel like.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 1:47 PM, ET80 said:

This being said - an OC who is willing to run an offense with WCO principles along with a lot of pre snap motion and timing-style "see, go and throw" concepts could mitigate a lot against that. Let him (Stroud) read pre-snap (a strength of his, and aided with frequent motion) get to the top of a three step drop and throw to a spot where a WR is supposed to be (strength).

Paging DeMeco Ryans and Klay Kubiak…

To say CJ Stroud is a perfect fit for the Shanahan/Kubiak offense ran in San Francisco would be a massive understatement. If DeMeco Ryans ends up as the future HC of this team, the Texans need to follow that up with Stroud as the face of the era.

Ryans/Stroud would be a combo that could bring home a championship.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I wonder if hiring Meco would mean we go defense at number 2 and 12. We definitely need to rebuild the defense but we also have to find a QB. 

I wouldn't mind loading up on defense, maybe like Jalen Carter and Brian Branch or something like that to pair with Stingley and Pitre and Harris. I still believe in defense wins championships. It's not the only way, but it's still one of the ways to do it. The Bucs basically did it that way, the Peyton Manning Broncos too. You ultimately need a complete team, but I don't hate starting by building up an elite defense. 

So, Daniel Jeremiah has the Texans taking Bryce Young at 2, which works out well for some of us.

At pick 12, however - he has the Texans taking Penn State CB Joey Porter Jr. The son of the former Steelers LB is a long and rangy CB who would pair up with CB Derek Stingley Jr and S Jalen Pitre to form up a potentially dominant secondary. Both Stingley and Porter Jr are adept press man CBs, guys who have demonstrated the ability to play on an island (in college, at least). Stingley looked reasonable for a rookie, and can be expected to improve in a new system. Porter has the physicality and mental toughness to shadow a 1 or 2, so having two guys cut from that cloth can take care of a lot of issues on defense.

Who’d be against picking up a CB early in this draft?