2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

21 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

TBH any move can get a person fired. You have to swing for the fences if you dont have a franchise QB on your roster. 

True, but my point still stands. Takes two to trade and it's very feasible these teams see Young, Stroud and Levis ranked closely. At #5 overall, Indy is in good shape and I've read #1 overall has only been traded 4 times. Its probably more likely #2 is traded. It is what it is at this point.

• Like 1

Ok... Let's play a game:

QB

I want: Bryce Young

I'll be good with: CJ Stroud

I'll be angry with: Will Levis

I'm expecting: Stroud

WR

I want: Jaxon Smith-Njigba

I'll be good with: Quentin Johnston

I'll be angry with: Jordan Addison

I'm expecting: Jalin Hyatt

Feel free to join in with these positions - or use other positions. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I wouldn’t mind trading down, getting more talent and punting for a new coach and QB in 2024 

I noticed this is the sentiment of those living outside of Houston. There are posters who live in and around this city who see things for what they are - nobody cares about the Texans right now. This isn't really noticable in Arkansas or Pennsylvania, nobody local to you cared about the Texans to begin with. Nobody has Texans flags on their cars to begin with, you don't have many Texans bumper stickers or people rocking Texans jerseys in your states. Here? At ground zero? Yeah, it's noticable that the next few moves are just as much about saving the franchise locally as it is football decisions.

Make no mistake - punting for '24 or running it back is not an option if the Texans want to make money next season (which is sort of the goal for a multi billion dollar sports franchise). The city of Houston has given up on the Texans even before todays' turn of events, and this is only going to further that divide. This isn't the Astros or Rockets who managed to properly strip down and rebuild into something (Rockets rebuild is ongoing) the Texans have botched just about every step on a rebuild and are still dropping the ball (or - better stated - catching the ball in a pointless W).

Invest in a good streaming option if the Texans do this, because they're not going to be on TV with current blackout rules. People don't want to spend money on this atrocious product, and pushing this back out will only make those dollars vanish permanently. My entertainment budget is pretty much dedicated to the Astros at this point (even though I have a casual like for baseball as a sport compared to football - where my passion runs so deep I volunteer to moderate a football website). I might even go to a Rockets game (cheap seats, mind you). I'm not putting in a single dollar on the Texans if this year doesn't have a new QB with a new HC... ever.

The Texans cannot, cannot, CANNOT run it back and punt for '24. They've already lost the city of Houston, another no hope season will lose it permanently - Cal can move it to Oklahoma City for all the residents of Houston will care.

34 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Ok... Let's play a game:

QB

WR

QB

I want: CJ Stroud

I'll be good with: Will Levis

I'll be angry with: Bryce Young

I'm expecting: Bryce Young

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I noticed this is the sentiment of those living outside of Houston. There are posters who live in and around this city who see things for what they are - nobody cares about the Texans right now. This isn't really noticable in Arkansas or Pennsylvania, nobody local to you cared about the Texans to begin with. Nobody has Texans flags on their cars to begin with, you don't have many Texans bumper stickers or people rocking Texans jerseys in your states. Here? At ground zero? Yeah, it's noticable that the next few moves are just as much about saving the franchise locally as it is football decisions.

Make no mistake - punting for '24 or running it back is not an option if the Texans want to make money next season (which is sort of the goal for a multi billion dollar sports franchise). The city of Houston has given up on the Texans even before todays' turn of events, and this is only going to further that divide. This isn't the Astros or Rockets who managed to properly strip down and rebuild into something (Rockets rebuild is ongoing) the Texans have botched just about every step on a rebuild and are still dropping the ball (or - better stated - catching the ball in a pointless W).

Invest in a good streaming option if the Texans do this, because they're not going to be on TV with current blackout rules. People don't want to spend money on this atrocious product, and pushing this back out will only make those dollars vanish permanently. My entertainment budget is pretty much dedicated to the Astros at this point (even though I have a casual like for baseball as a sport compared to football - where my passion runs so deep I volunteer to moderate a football website). I might even go to a Rockets game (cheap seats, mind you). I'm not putting in a single dollar on the Texans if this year doesn't have a new QB with a new HC... ever.

The Texans cannot, cannot, CANNOT run it back and punt for '24. They've already lost the city of Houston, another no hope season will lose it permanently - Cal can move it to Oklahoma City for all the residents of Houston will care.

I get that, but if we aren’t firing Lovie Smith, then we are running it back or ruining a young QB 

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I get that, but if we aren’t firing Lovie Smith, then we are running it back or ruining a young QB 

If we're not firing Lovie Smith, everything I said is applicable - if he's not fired tomorrow, the entire city is going to forget the Texans are a thing. And if Cal doesn't understand that, he deserves this sinking ship.

The Texans could draft a P with the 2nd pick and it would be met with the same "...meh" that would be met if the Texans drafted Will Anderson. 

18 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We could take Anderson or Carter at 2 and potentially see if a QB falls to us at 12 

Ugh, I'm positive the main four are gone - Young, Stroud are possible top 5, but I don't see Levis or Richardson making it past Indy and Carolina, respectively. Unless Bo Nix reversed course and declared (which would be ...interesting, definitely worth thinking about) I see a bunch of Mills-type QBs after Richardson.

I want Richardson... I get Hurts & Josh Allen vibes from him (also for real, for real Air McNair RIP).

I am going to post a whole off-season scenario thing later (after I can cool off after this debacle).

But I would secure Carr (when cut by Vegas) or Garoppolo (if we get DeMeco as HC) as a 1 year stop gap (on a 2 year deal with 1st year fully guaranteed) and let Richardson develop for a year (a la Mahommes).

Right now because this d@mn team cannot lose when you need them to, my dream-ish scenario for the top of the draft is:

- CHI trades 1-1 to IND for 1-4 + 2-35 + 2024 1st (Bryce Young/ CJ Stroud)

- 1-2 (+ 2024 4th) HOU traded to SEA for 1-5 + 1-18 (CJ Stroud / Bryce Young)

1-3 AZ IDL Jalen Carter (nobody can replace JJ, but Cards try)

1-4 CHI Edge Will Anderson

1-5 HOU QB Anthony Richardson

Alright this Crown Apple ain't gonna drink itself

Edited by jch1911

Remember when people wanted to punt the season for Caleb Williams in 2024? Yesterday is a blunt reminder of why you can’t plan on that.

The Texans held the #1 pick up until :50 left in W18 - and this is arguably the worst Texans team in history. Guaranteed #1 picks is nearly impossible when you telegraph your intentions so blatantly.

Stop looking a gifted horse in the mouth, evaluate all QBs and take the best one available at 2. Stop over complicating things.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jch1911 said:

I want Richardson... I get Hurts & Josh Allen vibes from him (also for real, for real Air McNair RIP).

He was my QB1 going into the season. A good draft season can get him higher on my list, but he’s a project with a capital PROJ. 

I’d have to know who is on this staff before I’d feel comfortable with him. He could turn into another Marcus Mariota with the wrong coaching - all the athletic gifts but zero IQ on how to actually use them. 

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

Ok... Let's play a game:

QB

WR

QB

I want:  Bryce Young

I'll be good with:  CJ Stroud

I'll be angry with:  Will Levis, Anthony Richardson

I'm expecting:  Bryce Young

WR

I want: Quentin Johnston

I'll be good with:  Jordan Addison

I'll be angry with: Jaxon Smith-Njigba if we take him pick 12

I'm expecting: Jordan Addison

EDGE

I want: Will Anderson

I'll be good with: Tyree Wilson

I'll be angry with: Nolan Smith

I'm expecting: Tyree Wilson

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Remember when people wanted to punt the season for Caleb Williams in 2024? Yesterday is a blunt reminder of why you can’t plan on that.

The Texans held the #1 pick up until :50 left in W18 - and this is arguably the worst Texans team in history. Guaranteed #1 picks is nearly impossible when you telegraph your intentions so blatantly.

Stop looking a gifted horse in the mouth, evaluate all QBs and take the best one available at 2. Stop over complicating things.

Exactly.  People tend to forget there was talk that this year's QB class would be the strongest ones in years.  Now all of a sudden it isnt.  No telling how good the 2024 QB class will be.  Thats why it would be dumb to pass on taking a QB this year in hopes of getting one in 2024.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

Exactly.  People tend to forget there was talk that this year's QB class would be the strongest ones in years.  Now all of a sudden it isnt.  No telling how good the 2024 QB class will be.  Thats why it would be dumb to pass on taking a QB this year in hopes of getting one in 2024.  

No guarantee Caserio will be around in 2024 for Caleb Williams to be punted to. Get your QB now.

• Like 1