2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

Todd McShay saying we are going to do whatever it takes to trade up to 1 and prevent the colts from doing it

if we do that, if we go on a miracle comeback win in week 18 and then give up assets to move back to number 1, I am done with Caserio and I might be done with the Texans, especially if it’s to draft young. 

surely this guy is just throwing stuff out there to see if it sticks. 

1 hour ago, tab said:

Colts would have to trade a lot more than us. Unless we (Cesario + Demeco) love a particular QB, no harm in jacking up Indy’s bill

And I can’t really see them loving any QB prospect like that - it’s a muddled field with QB this year, each one has traits that are worthy of the top pick.

I’m starting to see a world where Ryans’ influence equals trading 33 + some mid round picks in 2024 to San Francisco for Trey Lance… which means Will Anderson at 2 and a WR at 12. 

I will admit I don’t love the idea, but Trey Lance is a pretty tantalizing option at QB - nobody really knows what he can do yet, but his skillset is pretty varied and he’s got arm talent and athleticism that’s in a very elite tier.  If you can buy low on Lance right now, it can pay massive dividends, but it also keeps options open if he doesn’t show some immediate benefit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And I can’t really see them loving any QB prospect like that - it’s a muddled field with QB this year, each one has traits that are worthy of the top pick.

I’m starting to see a world where Ryans’ influence equals trading 33 + some mid round picks in 2024 to San Francisco for Trey Lance… which means Will Anderson at 2 and a WR at 12. 

I will admit I don’t love the idea, but Trey Lance is a pretty tantalizing option at QB - nobody really knows what he can do yet, but his skillset is pretty varied and he’s got arm talent and athleticism that’s in a very elite tier.  If you can buy low on Lance right now, it can pay massive dividends, but it also keeps options open if he doesn’t show some immediate benefit.

Anthony Richardson or Trey Lance... I'll take either with a bridge QB designed to get us to playoffs next year (23 - 24)

3 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Anthony Richardson or Trey Lance... I'll take either with a bridge QB designed to get us to playoffs next year (23 - 24)

I’m not terribly high on Richardson, but… if he can be had at 12, yeah. I just don’t know if you can gamble on Carolina not seeing him as the next Cam Newton…

I’m also of the belief that Lance is the man - you can bring in a vet to compete, but he doesn’t get a bridge going into year 3 of his contract. He’s got to sink or swim now, this year is telling us whether or not he gets a 5th year option.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

If you can get Lance with a mid, that's the way to go. I'm always for BPA in a given draft, especially when you have several needs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

If we bring in Lance, there is no bridge QB. Lance is going into his 3rd season. You don’t trade for him unless he’s the unquestionable day 1 starter. 

That would be my only issue. You would be going into year 3. He will have to be paid in 2yrs if it works out.

16 hours ago, Blaze said:

That would be my only issue. You would be going into year 3. He will have to be paid in 2yrs if it works out.

The team is going to have to use the franchise tag - more than once, possibly. It’s not the funnest thing to do, but it’s if Lance is playing to a level that requires it.

Realistically, it’s just a potential placeholder for a mega deal - which means we’re ALL very happy for the transaction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

The team is going to have to use the franchise tag - more than once, possibly. It’s not the funnest thing to do, but it’s if Lance is playing to a level that requires it.

Realistically, it’s just a potential placeholder for a mega deal - which means we’re ALL very happy for the transaction.

Yeah that’s my thought. If we are paying him in 3 years it’s a good thing 

• Like 1