2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

I do feel like the season will largely hinge on the o-line.  The last three playoff losses all involved total domination of our o-lines.  The offense last year was pretty average, and with Rodgers another year older and with Adams gone, it should get worse. 

*IF* the season hypothetically has a storybook ending, I think that will depend on getting happy endings from Bakhti, Jenkins, and the rest of the line.  *IF* Bakhti and Jenkins don't come back, or do but at such reduced capacity that they are unable to play at a high level, then I think the offense will struggle too much to win it all.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Let me ask it this way. If the right No. 3 EDGE player became available, would you pay him Lowry's money? I would in .5 seconds given the current depth at EDGE vs. IDL. Now, we are in a pretty good cap situation so perhaps we wouldn't have to do that. Again, I'm am fine, happy, content, thrilled or whatever other word you want to use to KEEP Lowry. I'll even underline that statement if necessary so people can hopefully read/comprehend it and quit saying "I want to cut him." It is literally just an observation, one that has been talked about by just every Packers beat writer for that matter. I'm not bringing up some out-of-left-field question here. 

You really feel confident in our DL without Dean Lowry?  I don't agree with that one at all.  Would I love to improve EDGE3?  Absolutely.  But downgrading our DL isn't the solution.  Ingalls' has us at just under $2.7M I believe in effective cap space, and I think he's on the more pessimistic side of things.  Last year, Whitney Mercilus signed a 1 year, $1.075M deal so the Packers have enough cap space to sign a veteran EDGE if one were to become available.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Ingalls' has us at just under $2.7M I believe in effective cap space, and I think he's on the more pessimistic side of things.  

Care to elaborate on that?  Overthecap has us with $16.9M of space.

I don't know how many rookies we have left to sign.

Or how much to allocate to the practice squad.

Or how much we will carryover.

But $2.7M seems pretty low to me.  $6M would sound about right.

-7M for carryover.  -4M for PS.

21 minutes ago, craig said:

I do feel like the season will largely hinge on the o-line.  The last three playoff losses all involved total domination of our o-lines.  The offense last year was pretty average, and with Rodgers another year older and with Adams gone, it should get worse. 

*IF* the season hypothetically has a storybook ending, I think that will depend on getting happy endings from Bakhti, Jenkins, and the rest of the line.  *IF* Bakhti and Jenkins don't come back, or do but at such reduced capacity that they are unable to play at a high level, then I think the offense will struggle too much to win it all.  

I think you could argue that the Packers over-invested in the OL the last two years.  They've got enough bodies that they'll figure it out one way or the other.  They drafted 6 OL over the last two seasons for 5 positions, two of which (Bakh and Jenkins) were entrenched before the 2021 draft, and another one was entrenched during the 2021 draft.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Care to elaborate on that?  Overthecap has us with $16.9M of space.

I don't know how many rookies we have left to sign.

Or how much to allocate to the practice squad.

Or how much we will carryover.

But $2.7M seems pretty low to me.  $6M would sound about right.

-7M for carryover.  -4M for PS.

I thought I read where we had the 10th or so most cap space in the league.

If that is true, and those numbers are true, there are 22 other clubs that are really, really hurting and should probably just forfeit now.

Especially the Patriots who have 902k left right now.  I'd love to see what their "in season piggy bank" fund is like.

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If that is true, and those numbers are true, there are 22 other clubs that are really, really hurting and should probably just forfeit now.

Especially the Patriots who have 902k left right now.  I'd love to see what their "in season piggy bank" fund is like.

They’ll free up space as they need it. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

The thing with us is that we almost have no maneuverability, except for cutting/restructuring Lowry. The rest of the team have a lot more of wiggle room in that sense. We kicked the can much more.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

The thing with us is that we almost have no maneuverability, except for cutting/restructuring Lowry. The rest of the team have a lot more of wiggle room in that sense. We kicked the can much more.

I kind of saw that when looking at Spotrac the other day.  We are pretty maxed out with what we can do for this year.  Which is fine.  

3 hours ago, R T said:

You are making Reed into some kind of player he is not; he is not taking pass rush snaps from anyone.  

I don't know a lot about Reed, but isn't that his forte--pass rushing. He's not some run stuffing nose. He has 24 1/2 sacks in his career in the equivalent of about 5 years of starting.

32 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why are NLTBE bonuses counted for on this year's cap? 

It looks like he's factoring in Packers having better luck with injuries. Per game bonuses that are achieved do count this year. 

It doesn’t drop, it’s just that they have that potential to have to account for more on the cap if their unhealthy 2021 players play more in 2022. They will want to keep that money aside for a while.

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Let me ask it this way. If the right No. 3 EDGE player became available, would you pay him Lowry's money? I would in .5 seconds given the current depth at EDGE vs. IDL. Now, we are in a pretty good cap situation so perhaps we wouldn't have to do that. Again, I'm am fine, happy, content, thrilled or whatever other word you want to use to KEEP Lowry. I'll even underline that statement if necessary so people can hopefully read/comprehend it and quit saying "I want to cut him." It is literally just an observation, one that has been talked about by just every Packers beat writer for that matter. I'm not bringing up some out-of-left-field question here. 

Maybe, 1 of Lowry, Garvin  or Walker is the 3rd EDGE..... so there is no immediate need to add another body.