2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

22 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is probably not a bad idea.

I am also surprised that the NFL doesn't have an a la carte game by game PPV option for streaming.  Let me have my local games on CBS and FOX, but charge me like 10 dollars for another random game if I want to watch it out of market.  I think they are sitting on a gold mine for that.  On the off chance the Packers aren't local for me, I will easily drop 10 to watch it in the comfort of my own home.  I usually find a free stream if I have to, but I would be willing to pay.

I've been saying this for years. DirecTV Sunday Ticket is a dinosaur idea but they've had the rights to it for so long they won't let it go. I think it's finally up maybe after this season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

You think he was pushing for a long term deal or wanted to do the 1 year with Rodgers and no Davante?

Reports are that he wanted a long-term deal now and that's why he held out as long as he could. In the end, he had zero leverage because the Packers could have docked him about $3m if he held out past June 15. If he takes advantage of this scenario he's in and become a No. 1 type of player, I could see the Packers open up talks mid-season maybe, but for now, they're smart to sit back and see if Lazard is up for the task ahead of him. 

Edited by packfanfb

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Who here was worried? You were wrong, just calling you out on it. It's not common for an RFA to skip the whole off-season program.

To say something is not uncommon is a fairly vague term, could mean many times a year to some or once every 3-5 years to another. The point was that there was nothing to be concerned about, that he would sign before the 15th and was taking advantage of a little perk to skip OTA's. Which is exactly what happened. If you chose to spin that to the world that I was wrong, OK. Now your holdout take would probably fit that 'wrong' file, but I'm sure you have some spin for that also.  

27 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Reports are that he wanted a long-term deal now and that's why he held out as long as he could. In the end, he had zero leverage because the Packers could have docked him about $3m if he held out past June 15. If he takes advantage of this scenario he's in and become a No. 1 type of player, I could see the Packers open up talks mid-season maybe, but for now, they're smart to sit back and see if Lazard is up for the task ahead of him. 

Was there one legitimate report that he wasn't there because he was holding out for a long-term deal? Any chance he wasn't there because his roster spot isn't in danger, and he didn't have to be there? Just imagine a world where it could be just that simple. 

57 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Depends. I've heard others say if he plays well on his tender deal, GB may not be able to afford him.

55 minutes ago, R T said:

Was there one legitimate report that he wasn't there because he was holding out for a long-term deal? Any chance he wasn't there because his roster spot isn't in danger, and he didn't have to be there? Just imagine a world where it could be just that simple. 

It was a mandatory minicamp, so he was supposed to be there.  

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

You think he was pushing for a long term deal or wanted to do the 1 year with Rodgers and no Davante?

I would assume he was looking for a moderate extension.  If he was going to want to maximize his long-term salary, it would have made sense for him to show up and sign the RFA tender early and get the reps in with Rodgers and Love.  I'm not exactly sure what the market value would be for someone like Lazard to sign an extension, but if you could get him to sign a 3 year, $12-$16M deal it'd make sense for Green Bay.  I don't think Lazard maximizes his long-term money that way, but he gets a large chunk of money upfront.  If he outperforms that contract, he could potentially ask for a new deal in a year or two.

1 hour ago, R T said:

I think it's pretty obvious that both are true. He had no reason to be there (at least in his mind) since he had until June 15 to sign the tender and was using that time to explore a longer-term deal. It's pretty much been reported that way since day 1. Jakobi Meyers just did the exact same thing with NE. 

On 6/12/2022 at 3:54 PM, Donzo said:

Donnerson is a poor comp for Garvin. Other than both being 7th round picks they don't have much in common. Donnerson made the PS one year then was done in GB. Garvin is entering his 3rd year in GB, is a bigger more fluid athlete and a much better, younger NFL prospect. I'm thinking Garvin is now (3rd season) as old as Donnerson was in his rookie and only season with the Packers.

This is an important season for Garvin. He was better his 2nd season and needs to continue to improve to make the team year. I'm thinking he needs to show some real play making as well if he's gonna turn into a legitimate NFL edge. Otherwise he'll probably flameout  like Jayrone Elliot.

I think you may be forgetting the athlete that Donnerson was.  He ran a 4.48 40 at 6'3 250.  He had a RAS of 9.89...  He just couldn't football worth a damn.  The comp is because he is a special athlete that you want to give every opportunity to show that he can play, because if he can, then it is an extreme asset. Donnerson couldn't ever get better at football.  Garvin, hopefully will.

Now what I see from Garvin is a Jekyll and Hyde player.  I recall plays last season where he set the edge as well as the starters.  And plays where he was getting pressure on the quarterback.  But I also saw a lot of plays where he was a near liability out there.  He needs to be more consistently good.  But what can he do to turn that on? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I would assume he was looking for a moderate extension.  If he was going to want to maximize his long-term salary, it would have made sense for him to show up and sign the RFA tender early and get the reps in with Rodgers and Love.  I'm not exactly sure what the market value would be for someone like Lazard to sign an extension, but if you could get him to sign a 3 year, $12-$16M deal it'd make sense for Green Bay.  I don't think Lazard maximizes his long-term money that way, but he gets a large chunk of money upfront.  If he outperforms that contract, he could potentially ask for a new deal in a year or two.

I think he’s gonna be worth significantly more than that after a year with Rodgers #1ish production and no Davante. 

Per Andy Herman on Twitter

Two minute drill - 1:38 left, down 7. No timeouts. 1st & 10 from own 20, Love at QB:

1. Love with a poor throw to Watson, didn’t look like they were on same page. Incomplete.

2. Same play. Complete to Watson, 10 yards, out of bounds.

3. Complete over middle to Watson.

4. Checkdown to Baylor, clock ticks.

5. Incomplete over middle. 50 secs left.

6. 4th & 3 @ own 40 - screen to Davis read perfectly by Quay - would have been down but they give it to the offense. Great play by quay.

7. Spike

8. Love deep to Doubs in double coverage - overthrown - incomplete.

9. Love to Winfree for a huge gain with Texada in coverage. Down to the 9.

10. Spike

11. Ball on the 9 - 5 seconds left: Love to Toure over the middle for a touchdown. Two really nice throws by Love at end!!!

12. Two point conversion attempt: nobody open and love airmails a ball out of the end zone.

Wins for both sides on the drive. I think Quay had the stop on 4th and defense should have won but drive continued and Love had a gorgeous deep ball to Winfree and then the td to Toure.

• Like 4

On 6/13/2022 at 12:30 AM, Refugee said:

Definitely agree with your assessment. Last year he was my sleeper “year 2 leap” guy. Well, he didn’t blow anyone away, he also got into the rotation and earned some praise from his coaches. As young as he is, he still could take the larger step we are all hoping for.  With that being said, if he’s not showing it this year, he will be hard to keep around instead of another developmental prospect but that is true of any fringe guy in year 3.

Hope he kicks some A this year. 

Exactly. It seems like this is the year for him. Either he makes a significant jump or just kinda fades away like Elliot.

Edited by Donzo

20 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think you may be forgetting the athlete that Donnerson was.  He ran a 4.48 40 at 6'3 250.  He had a RAS of 9.89...  He just couldn't football worth a damn.  The comp is because he is a special athlete that you want to give every opportunity to show that he can play, because if he can, then it is an extreme asset. Donnerson couldn't ever get better at football.  Garvin, hopefully will.

Now what I see from Garvin is a Jekyll and Hyde player.  I recall plays last season where he set the edge as well as the starters.  And plays where he was getting pressure on the quarterback.  But I also saw a lot of plays where he was a near liability out there.  He needs to be more consistently good.  But what can he do to turn that on? 

Oh ya, Donnerson is athletic. But, he doesn't have the size, football skill, or developmental curve of Garvin.

Garvin is developmental player, he's gonna be a "Jekyll and Hyde player" (nice reference!) . To emphasize how young he is, he's a year and a half younger than 2022 1st round pick Devonte Wyatt- which is kinda mind blowing on multiple levels when you think about it.

It just comes down to player development for him to turn on that consistency. If does that the Packers have a player. If he doesn't develop/improve, then he'll fade away like so many before him.