2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

2 hours ago, Norm said:

i've liked garvin since i saw him live against cincinatti. he clearly has the size to ball in the nfl and has a powerful bull rush. nice ras. i like our olb coaches ability to devleop guys with physical skill.

i like garvin.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Houston signed with Baltimore already, so...

I thought he was still out there. They owe him 2m for the void year, but I doubted they'd sign him before July 22nd.

If he is still available, I think Houston is the perfect fit. Garvin was pretty awful last season, I have high hopes for Enagbare but would like a contingency plan for that third edge playing about 40% of the snaps. Houston was Baltimore's best pass rusher last season by some metrics.

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

i've liked garvin since i saw him live against cincinatti. he clearly has the size to ball in the nfl and has a powerful bull rush. nice ras. i like our olb coaches ability to devleop guys with physical skill.

i like garvin.

I also like Garvin.  But it is about time for him to **** or get off the pot. 

3 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

he got drafted a year after gary and was every bit as raw if not more. unreaslistic to expect more sooner IMO

52 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

He’s still 22 years old 

Both true.  And why I have been championing Garvin all off season.  But when we look at the flip side of that, he is also entering his third season in the league.  If you recall, I was also a proponent of giving Kendall Donnerson a chance just to see if it ever clicked.  There is a point though where you have pretty much seen what you are going to get.  Garvin needs to take a step this season.  His college teammate Gregory Rousseau is also 22 years old, and he is transitioning well to the NFL. 

https://ras.football/2020/02/03/jonathan-garvin-ras/

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=16283&pos=DE

Difference really is that one of them is better at football.

What is it about Garvin that you guys like?  I am definitely in the pro Garvin camp, but I want to know what you think.

1 hour ago, FinneasGage said:

never understood why they didn't charge like 10 dollars for a stream to the charity softball game

That is probably not a bad idea.

I am also surprised that the NFL doesn't have an a la carte game by game PPV option for streaming.  Let me have my local games on CBS and FOX, but charge me like 10 dollars for another random game if I want to watch it out of market.  I think they are sitting on a gold mine for that.  On the off chance the Packers aren't local for me, I will easily drop 10 to watch it in the comfort of my own home.  I usually find a free stream if I have to, but I would be willing to pay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Both true.  And why I have been championing Garvin all off season.  But when we look at the flip side of that, he is also entering his third season in the league.  If you recall, I was also a proponent of giving Kendall Donnerson a chance just to see if it ever clicked.  There is a point though where you have pretty much seen what you are going to get.

What is it about Garvin that you guys like?  I am definitely in the pro Garvin camp, but I want to know what you think.

Donnerson is a poor comp for Garvin. Other than both being 7th round picks they don't have much in common. Donnerson made the PS one year then was done in GB. Garvin is entering his 3rd year in GB, is a bigger more fluid athlete and a much better, younger NFL prospect. I'm thinking Garvin is now (3rd season) as old as Donnerson was in his rookie and only season with the Packers.

This is an important season for Garvin. He was better his 2nd season and needs to continue to improve to make the team year. I'm thinking he needs to show some real play making as well if he's gonna turn into a legitimate NFL edge. Otherwise he'll probably flameout  like Jayrone Elliot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Donzo said:

Donnerson is a poor comp for Garvin. Other than both being 7th round picks they don't have much in common. Donnerson made the PS one year then was done in GB. Garvin is entering his 3rd year in GB, is a bigger more fluid athlete and a much better, younger NFL prospect. I'm thinking Garvin is now (3rd season) as old as Donnerson was in his rookie and only season with the Packers.

This is an important season for Garvin. He was better his 2nd season and needs to continue to improve to make the team year. I'm thinking he needs to show some real play making as well if he's gonna turn into a legitimate NFL edge. Otherwise he'll probably flameout  like Jayrone Elliot.

Definitely agree with your assessment. Last year he was my sleeper “year 2 leap” guy. Well, he didn’t blow anyone away, he also got into the rotation and earned some praise from his coaches. As young as he is, he still could take the larger step we are all hoping for.  With that being said, if he’s not showing it this year, he will be hard to keep around instead of another developmental prospect but that is true of any fringe guy in year 3. Hope he kicks some A this year. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Both true.  And why I have been championing Garvin all off season.  But when we look at the flip side of that, he is also entering his third season in the league.  If you recall, I was also a proponent of giving Kendall Donnerson a chance just to see if it ever clicked.  There is a point though where you have pretty much seen what you are going to get.  Garvin needs to take a step this season.  His college teammate Gregory Rousseau is also 22 years old, and he is transitioning well to the NFL. 

https://ras.football/2020/02/03/jonathan-garvin-ras/

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=16283&pos=DE

Difference really is that one of them is better at football.

His teammate that got drafted in round 1 vs. Garvin in round 7 is definitely the better prospect and it seems like every talent evaluator in the NFL agrees on that. Garvin has a prototype “big edge” body, he has close to elite athleticism at his size. By all accounts he works hard and earned the praise of his former coach Mike Smith. That’s all with a big helping of salt, Smith would be a natural cheerleader for his guys.  He took a small step forward last year with his increased opportunity, just not big enough. As has been said, it’s a big year for him. 

article from last year talking about his strengths. 
https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/with-strength-and-smarts-opportunity-knocks-for-garvin

Edited by Refugee