Jets 2022 General Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think it will be a good year for us. Maybe not W/L wise... but we will be better. And since we're more on the map now with people respecting how we're building a team. I can see LaFleur getting a HC gig next offseason. Which would mean Wilson and the offense played good. So it's just part of the coaching tree. Good coaches get promoted. 

LaFleur is really impressive man. Raved about all the adjustment he made last year. Honestly the only time I can remember having an OC whose impact is actually noticeable — not just ‘good enough’ to where production is reliant of guys doing their job. His coaching added a clear advantage for us offensively. 

Can’t imagine he’d get a HC gig without the Ws to back it up, usually just how those things work. That said, if he does, I wonder who we have next up.

17 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

LaFleur is really impressive man. Raved about all the adjustment he made last year. Honestly the only time I can remember having an OC whose impact is actually noticeable — not just ‘good enough’ to where production is reliant of guys doing their job. His coaching added a clear advantage for us offensively. 

Can’t imagine he’d get a HC gig without the Ws to back it up, usually just how those things work. That said, if he does, I wonder who we have next up.

I'd have to think Calabrese would slide in. 

I know you guys are all in on LaFleur being THE MAN as the OC but I'm not sold on him. You guys do remember what we looked like as an O right. I know this team was hit hard with the inj bug but man that O was God awful and Wilson looked God awful too. I'm hoping for better things too but until we start putting up some serious TD's and W's on the board I think all this talk is cheap. Show me and then I will be on board. Time to shut up and put up some W's period. 

15 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I know you guys are all in on LaFleur being THE MAN as the OC but I'm not sold on him. You guys do remember what we looked like as an O right. I know this team was hit hard with the inj bug but man that O was God awful and Wilson looked God awful too. I'm hoping for better things too but until we start putting up some serious TD's and W's on the board I think all this talk is cheap. Show me and then I will be on board. Time to shut up and put up some W's period. 

He started out rough no question. He's a 1st year OC, so we should've expected that. Especially with a rookie QB. But it was actually impressive how in about 1/3 of a season he was night and day from the guy he was Week 1. You could tell his game plan was better and he was utilizing guys better. Year 2 for him and Wilson and  A LOT of added weapons. I expect him to be good this year calling plays.

48 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He started out rough no question. He's a 1st year OC, so we should've expected that. Especially with a rookie QB. But it was actually impressive how in about 1/3 of a season he was night and day from the guy he was Week 1. You could tell his game plan was better and he was utilizing guys better. Year 2 for him and Wilson and  A LOT of added weapons. I expect him to be good this year calling plays.

Booth Lafleur > Bench Lafleur

15 hours ago, Sapo28 said:

Booth Lafleur > Bench Lafleur

We also have to keep in mind that we were without our top WRs and RB last year when he was still calling good games. Davis, Moore and Carter were out and he was still having Zach play well to finish the season.

So the optimism is that he as an OC can build off of that. But the part to get excited about is Zach not thinking as much in Year 2 and having all of Davis, Moore, Wilson, Berrios, Mims, Uzo, Conklin, Ruckert, Hall and Carter to work with. This all with an above average OL in Fant, Laken, Conot, AVT and Becton.

The negative to all of this? Excuses are over now. We for a very long time have always had an excuse for our poor play on offense. There's none of that now. Even if injuries occur at any of our offensive positions, there's no excuse for us to still not progress and be competitive (Yes even if Wilson goes down, White showed he can play in this league).

17 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

That was the issue with the offense for the most part 

23 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'd have to think Calabrese would slide in. 

Saleh was raving about Calabrese, how teams were kicking the tires about him as a OC. So the plan probably would be for Calabrese to be the OC if LaFleur got a HC job. But I don't think that would happen after this season, ideally we would have a few seasons with LaFleur and so Wilson has stability. 

20 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I hate the "the last part of the year was good" It seems every year we say this. The only reason we look good is that the other teams don't play their starters because they are already in the playoffs and have a bye or are just as bad as us and they run the young guys to see what they have next year. 

If we are another 4 win team or 5 win team I'm going to be so mad. We as Jet fans have been waiting decades for a team that will give us a good chance to make a deep run in the playoffs. I'm 43 and will probably be dead by the time the Jets make the Super Bowl. 

LaFluer leaves Calabrese steps in, we then bring in a new QB coach/passing game coordinator. Rinse and repeat. Connor Hughes essentially confirmed this a few months ago on his podcast.

O was bad for a few reasons last season. Zach in particular struggled because he was overthinking and slow/late. That changed and once it did it was night and day. 

How this team meshes, particularly early, will be important. We have the talent in each spot to excel but everyone has to be firing. If the OL is struggling then Zach will and then the Skill players won’t matter. If the Line holds up and Zach is late/slow/inaccurate then it won’t matter. If the Line holds up and Zach is on target and accurate but the receivers are dropping passes, not getting open, etc…then it won’t matter.

From MLF to the Line to Zach to the Skill players everyone has to be good. 

Pro Football Network's Mike Kaye reports Zach Wilson has struggled with accuracy in Jets OTAs. 

"I got a close look at Wilson on Wednesday during OTAs at the team’s facility, and I came away with a shoulder shrug of sorts," Kaye said. "Wilson got off to a rough start in team drills as his first four passes were as follows: a throw behind Corey Davis, a throw that hovered over everyone, a clear throwaway after being flushed out of the pocket, and another bad misfire." Kaye said Wilson later completed a few nice throws over the middle and heavily targeted second-year WR Elijah Moore. By any measurement, Wilson's rookie year accuracy was disastrous. No quarterback had a worse completion rate over expected and only Justin Fields had a worst adjusted completion rate, per Pro Football Focus. Wilson, who has reportedly bulked up for his sophomore season, will have few excuses in 2022 after the Jets upgraded their pass-catching group with Garrett Wilson and their offensive line with Laken Tomlinson. "Overall, the recipe is there for Wilson to make a major jump," Kaye said. "That said, I think he’s still a massive projection at this point, especially in June of Year 2."

This is my biggest nightmare and why I was mad we took Wilson. The guy can not hit anything with a football. He has and always will be around 50% - 60% completion rate. My question is if we struggle and start out 0-5 and Wilson is like 55% completion and a 5-10 TD-INT ratio do you put in Mike White? At what point do you say Wilson is not the guy and move on. 

31 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Pro Football Network's Mike Kaye reports Zach Wilson has struggled with accuracy in Jets OTAs. 

"I got a close look at Wilson on Wednesday during OTAs at the team’s facility, and I came away with a shoulder shrug of sorts," Kaye said. "Wilson got off to a rough start in team drills as his first four passes were as follows: a throw behind Corey Davis, a throw that hovered over everyone, a clear throwaway after being flushed out of the pocket, and another bad misfire." Kaye said Wilson later completed a few nice throws over the middle and heavily targeted second-year WR Elijah Moore. By any measurement, Wilson's rookie year accuracy was disastrous. No quarterback had a worse completion rate over expected and only Justin Fields had a worst adjusted completion rate, per Pro Football Focus. Wilson, who has reportedly bulked up for his sophomore season, will have few excuses in 2022 after the Jets upgraded their pass-catching group with Garrett Wilson and their offensive line with Laken Tomlinson. "Overall, the recipe is there for Wilson to make a major jump," Kaye said. "That said, I think he’s still a massive projection at this point, especially in June of Year 2."

This is my biggest nightmare and why I was mad we took Wilson. The guy can not hit anything with a football. He has and always will be around 50% - 60% completion rate. My question is if we struggle and start out 0-5 and Wilson is like 55% completion and a 5-10 TD-INT ratio do you put in Mike White? At what point do you say Wilson is not the guy and move on. 

monty python GIF

44 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

At what point do you say Wilson is not the guy and move on. 

I, too, read that and I’ll admit it has me a bit concerned. However, I’ll reserve judgement until midway through the season.  Not June. We should have enough of a running game, OL, and WR skills to offset any issues Zach may have. If he is god awful after by seasons end, we know what we need come next April. 

A 1st round rookie QB IMO gets 3 years. And the reason for that is bc after year 3 you have to decide on their 5th year option, which is a good chunk of change. Now there’s alot that can change that as well. For example we never gave Darnold anything to see if he could be the guy through 3 years. We also were sitting at the 2nd pick. I’ll stand by that if we were drafting at let’s say 12… we never would’ve traded Darnold and he would’ve been our QB last year. But that’s all hypothetical.

So in the reality of it… Wilson now in year 2 has 0 excuses. It’s time to put up and progress. Does that mean he has to win 9+ games? No. But he needs to show he’s our guy. A QB can do that and still not we a playoff team, bc they’re still young. Our offense is generally speaking still very young. So the likes of us being CIN this year are against us. But we don’t have to be that. If we can get to around that 7win mark  and our young guys show they’re legit in this league. That’s a win for us. 

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Take this with a grain of salt, he literally is talking about the first set of 11 vs 11.  Which was like 4 or 5 throws. The 2nd set he was better. No one else was concerned about it, this guy is just trying to get click baits. 

Wilson was extremely accurate in college, dropped dimes often. Last season his issue was sometimes his back leg didn't set properly, which caused the ball to go down low at times.  I think his accuracy is very correctable. Having legit TEs could help, having Wrs who stay healthy to build consistency with will help. Being comfortable with the offense will help.  

Most people who break down film acknowledge that the Jets threw everything at Wilson, he was asked to do more advanced things than the other rookies who had 1-2 read offenses. Wilson sometimes would go through 4-5 reads and had no issue making throws over the middle in tight windows. They never had training wheels on him like some teams did with QBs.  I am no concerned right now, I'll wait until the actual season before I make judgements. 

Edited by NYJets4716