Jets 2022 General Talk

Bobby816

17 hours ago, xrade said:

So...McDermott is back on the PS.  We just can't seem to shake this guy.

He is cheap and can start if someone goes down. There is nothing left in FA so having a guy like him on your PS is not that bad. Remember our OL is still beat up. I would love to have Becton back but that probably will not happen. Brown will do well at LT for the rest of the year if he can avoid being injuried. Mitchell coming back would be huge. You can then kick AVT back to G and have a very good OL. 

20 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

He is cheap and can start if someone goes down. There is nothing left in FA so having a guy like him on your PS is not that bad. Remember our OL is still beat up

He is cheap and will get the QB killed if he has to play.  Regardless, Remmers and Ogbuehi are the backup OT ATM.  McDermott is third in line.  I get that JD may be a bit gun shy about OT depth, but this guy just blows.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

He is cheap and can start if someone goes down. There is nothing left in FA so having a guy like him on your PS is not that bad. Remember our OL is still beat up. I would love to have Becton back but that probably will not happen. Brown will do well at LT for the rest of the year if he can avoid being injuried. Mitchell coming back would be huge. You can then kick AVT back to G and have a very good OL. 

Even if Mitchell comes back, I'm leaving the O line how it is. They are playing well right now. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mattmanz said:

Even if Mitchell comes back, I'm leaving the O line how it is. They are playing well right now. 

I tend to agree but it seems they are better at run blocking than pass protection.  Tomlinson and McG stink at pass pro.  At least that's how I see it.

44 minutes ago, xrade said:

I tend to agree but it seems they are better at run blocking than pass protection.  Tomlinson and McG stink at pass pro.  At least that's how I see it.

Maybe at the beginning of the year that was true but nobody on the OL has given up more than two pressures over the last two weeks.  The OL has been great, not good but great.

Tomlinson has been everything we expected and more these past few weeks.  

15 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Maybe at the beginning of the year that was true but nobody on the OL has given up more than two pressures over the last two weeks.  The OL has been great, not good but great.

Then its just me.  It just seems that Zach gets a lot of heat up the gut when he drops back.  Maybe he is holding the ball too long or the receivers are not getting separation.  Zach definitely needs to identify blitzes pre snap.  I just really want to see a game where he has the time to throw and he makes the play.  He has yet to have a 300 yd. game.  Don't get me wrong, I love winning via ground and pound but I am still not completely sold that he is a QB that will lead us to the promised land and part of that is because he seems to be under duress a lot.

10 minutes ago, xrade said:

Then its just me.  It just seems that Zach gets a lot of heat up the gut when he drops back.  Maybe he is holding the ball too long or the receivers are not getting separation.  Zach definitely needs to identify blitzes pre snap.  I just really want to see a game where he has the time to throw and he makes the play.  He has yet to have a 300 yd. game.  Don't get me wrong, I love winning via ground and pound but I am still not completely sold that he is a QB that will lead us to the promised land and part of that is because he seems to be under duress a lot.

Still holding the ball a bit too long is correct.  I mean he really has had to throw a ton but outside of the GB game we've hit 200+ in every game passing.  Not sure we'll ever throw it 40+ times like we did early in the year unless we have to.

Zach is playing solid though.  He needs to be better for us to really be a threat to BUF or KC but right now he's hit on some big plays and hasn't turn it over which is perfect for now.  The time will come when we'll need him to make a big play and in PIT he stepped up.  

You have to remember he's just completed I think his 16th game as a starter and he was obviously super raw coming out so that fact that he's not turning the ball over much is a big first step for now.  This could be another week of 14 for 20 with 190 yards or something but if it comes with no TOs and a win I won't complain.  I don't care so much about yards I just want to see him get that Comp% up and move the chains on third down more consistently.   

Edited by Rockice_8

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I only remember Tomlinson getting bull rushed into Zach’s feet on the Gary sack last game. Nothing else stood out. 

39 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I only remember Tomlinson getting bull rushed into Zach’s feet on the Gary sack last game. Nothing else stood out. 

I just watched some Tomlinson run and pass pro plays.  He actually played better than I though except for the sack you mentioned.  I think the line as a whole will continue to get better each week.  There is still just something out of sync with the passing game.  It does not look "smooth".