2023 Draft Talk

swede700

5 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Why, because of his weight? Lol that’s pretty foolish. His tape is the best out of any corner in this draft. I’d think film is a better indicator of a player’s success, than his weight at the combine. 

Name a successful corner that’s weighed under 170? 

Players with that type of build just don’t hold up at the NFL level. And there’s no way I’d use a 1st round pick on a guy like that, hoping that he’s the lone exception. 

Film is great. But there are also size and athletic thresholds. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Players with that type of build just don’t hold up at the NFL level. And there’s no way I’d use a 1st round pick on a guy like that, hoping that he’s the lone exception. 

Well he ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and a 1.47 10 yard split. How is that for athletic threshold? Also he’s never missed a game in 3 years. I don’t think durability has ever been an issue with him. Devonta Smith weighs 170 pounds and he’s doing just fine in the league. I’d take the player who knows how to play football, over the guy that weighs more, at any point of the draft. 

3 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Well he ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and a 1.47 10 yard split. How is that for athletic threshold? Also he’s never missed a game in 3 years. I don’t think durability has ever been an issue with him. Devonta Smith weighs 170 pounds and he’s doing just fine in the league. I’d take the player who knows how to play football, over the guy that weighs more, at any point of the draft. 

Well, a receiver can get by at that weight because he can't be touched and doesn't have to tackle anyone.

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

To be fair, the “hold up” thing doesn’t really apply, there really hasn’t been CB’s that light. I wouldn’t say they can’t. Duke Shelly was like 175.

Brandon Banks was like 150 lbs and destroyed the Vikings it seemed every time we played him, but in reality he was a special teams guy that played receiver. 

There really isn’t a ton of players under 180 because typically they don’t get the shot, and they typically aren’t physically big enough to compete…. To say they can’t hold up seems a bit unfair. 

I can’t remember the study but there was a tall and lanky study looking at injuries and it never actually showed any difference in players being injured in the nfl. But I do 100% get the argument for it.

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, a receiver can get by at that weight because he can't be touched and doesn't have to tackle anyone.

Receivers get hit and injured all the time. Also, if you ever watch film on Emmanuel Forbes, he knows how to tackle. Again, I’d take the player that knows how to play, over the one that weighs more, any day. 

26 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Receivers get hit and injured all the time. Also, if you ever watch film on Emmanuel Forbes, he knows how to tackle. Again, I’d take the player that knows how to play, over the one that weighs more, any day. 

I think the questions will be more how he gets thru traffic on plays to the outside to make the tackle. His size is a disadvantage. But sometimes players can just make it happen.

More then or because of his weight from what I've checked around on he played mostly off-zone coverage the opposite of what I'm to believe Flores would want out of the CBs.

Big projection could be involved in putting him on our team not where I'd go early in round 2 if we should end up picking there.

Edited by solidvikingfan

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Exactly. He might hold up his entire career, but the Vikings currently have far too many questions at cornerback, especially with health concerns, to take a risk on a guy that small. 

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Guess we can eliminate C from consideration......I think DL is the obvious pick, given FA so far....but I still think a trade down will happen. 

I hope not.  I do believe Bradbury can be better than he has been, but this team needs insurance.   I'm all for building the D, but I'd Steve Avila's sitting there in Rd 3, he better continue wearing purple . . . 

12 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Exactly. He might hold up his entire career, but the Vikings currently have far too many questions at cornerback, especially with health concerns, to take a risk on a guy that small. 

We only have Andrew Booth and Akayleb Evans on our current roster at cornerback. There can’t possibly be too many question marks with only two guys. Anyways, cornerbacks get injured. Doesn’t matter who you take, there’s always going to be an injury risk at that position. That’s why teams usually carry 5-6 cornerbacks. Those guys get hurt. With that being said, Emmanuel Forbes has never missed a game due to injury, that’s impressive for an undersized CB playing in the SEC. Durability is a trait, not a size attribute. 

12 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

We only have Andrew Booth and Akayleb Evans on our current roster at cornerback.

Those are the only ones that have that have taken actual snaps...but they do have Tay Gowan, Kalon Barnes and Theo Jackson also. 

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Those are the only ones that have that have taken actual snaps...but they do have Tay Gowan, Kalon Barnes and Theo Jackson also. 

I guess....good luck! *

* I know they'll do something, they have to have at last one veteran for mentoring, let alone playing

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I guess....good luck! *

* I know they'll do something, they have to have at last one veteran for mentoring, let alone playing

Agree.  But, I did want to point out that there is actually more than just those 2 currently on roster.  There's still plenty of veteran CBs out there to pick from.  Hell, maybe they can bring in the guy that got away from Zimmer many eons ago...Justin Coleman.  😂