2023 Draft Talk

swede700

15 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

But I really wonder if they are considering a package to move up for QB in R1, which I would be on board with

When they are done with their QB evaluations and if they like someone strong enough; I think they will strongly consider it.

12 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I say get after Hendon Hooker in the 3rd, if you're grabbing a QB.  He played stellar in the games I saw before his injury.  

I can't grab a 25-yr rookie QB, who likely wouldn't play his first NFL game until he's 26 or 27.  I just can't.  He may be okay, but I'm not relying on that possibility, because there's limited upside.  I want a guy with upside.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Why is that?

He looks small, and I think his injury will rob him greatly. Nothing really jumps out to me about him. He looks like he could be a special teams ace, but that's about it.

In 4 years from now, he'll be "that first round safety we drafted with the weird hairdo", or, just another guy.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I can't grab a 25-yr rookie QB, who likely wouldn't play his first NFL game until he's 26 or 27.  I just can't.  He may be okay, but I'm not relying on that possibility, because there's limited upside.  I want a guy with upside.

"Upside" . . . a novel concept for sure, so is Value.  Oh, I'm a firm believer next year's draft class is the place the Vikings can land what you're talking about.  BUT, this squad has squat if Cousins gets seriously injured . . . and yes, Nick Mullens is "serviceable."

Hendon Hooker's had a different path in college, but so did Jalen Hurts.  Teams need high-quality talents, proven leaders/winners, and likeable guys manning the QB position.  Hooker took longer than most to get to the point he's at. 

A contrarian example would be Danielle Hunter, right?  Had no idea if the 19-year-old was able to cut it in the NFL and his college production wasn't really stellar.  But, because of his testing numbers . . . he had major upside.

Hooker still has upside, but because of age, his window to contribute is literally a 1-year short leash.  You draft a guy like this so you can handle a Fran Tarkenton/Drew Bledsoe injury situation when it arises.  

If he's sitting there in the 3rd or even 4th and unless there's a major thing most of us don't know about his injury, you draft him.

It's too early in the morning here for vocabulary lessons😁  Yeah, as wicked as Cine's injury looked on TV, he should be able to heal up and return to form and I hope he does.  I think the Safety room is stacked, probably the strongest group on the team (secretly I hope I'm wrong about that and the O-line shows they are).

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

He looks small, and I think his injury will rob him greatly. Nothing really jumps out to me about him. He looks like he could be a special teams ace, but that's about it.

In 4 years from now, he'll be "that first round safety we drafted with the weird hairdo", or, just another guy.

He's taller than Harry.  While he may need to put on a little weight, he's certainly faster and more agile than Harry was when he came out.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

He's taller than Harry.  While he may need to put on a little weight, he's certainly faster and more agile than Harry was when he came out.

But Harry has shown a lot more on the field than Cine has shown.  I hope Cine ends up being a good starting safety in the league, but to me that is still a question that is very much up in the air.  It is hard to be convinced Cine will be a worthy starting safety at this point. I wouldn't bet against it, but I also am far from convinced it will happen.

I am glad the team has Harry back and has Bynum around because the team needs to have some sort of fallback plan at the position until Cine shows he can take over one of the starting spots.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

"Upside" . . . a novel concept for sure, so is Value.  Oh, I'm a firm believer next year's draft class is the place the Vikings can land what you're talking about.  BUT, this squad has squat if Cousins gets seriously injured . . . and yes, Nick Mullens is "serviceable."

Hendon Hooker's had a different path in college, but so did Jalen Hurts.  Teams need high-quality talents, proven leaders/winners, and likeable guys manning the QB position.  Hooker took longer than most to get to the point he's at. 

A contrarian example would be Danielle Hunter, right?  Had no idea if the 19-year-old was able to cut it in the NFL and his college production wasn't really stellar.  But, because of his testing numbers . . . he had major upside.

Hooker still has upside, but because of age, his window to contribute is literally a 1-year short leash.  You draft a guy like this so you can handle a Fran Tarkenton/Drew Bledsoe injury situation when it arises.  

If he's sitting there in the 3rd or even 4th and unless there's a major thing most of us don't know about his injury, you draft him.

I have no issues with Nick Mullens starting should Kirk get injured.  Yes, he is serviceable.  And that's fine.  He's better than Shaun Hill, who I couldn't have trusted for an entire season when Teddy got injured (despite what some others believed around here).

I also don't have an issue with some taking different paths, but Hurts has been in the league 3 yrs...and he's 7 months younger than Hooker.  Hooker has developed too slowly, as he was already almost 21 before starting as a redshirt freshman for Va Tech...so that doesn't bode well for him developing at the NFL level.    

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I have very little faith in Cine.

I agree, until shown otherwise.  I think people were just amazed at that 40 time as a safety.  He is a pretty skinny dude especially in the lower body.  Also played around crazy talent and clearly Georgia strength staff or a pre combine workout guy knows how to get great times because it seems always all top Georgia players time well and run well.

Fact is Jartavius Martin did not run not 4.37 40, but he was pretty damn impressive at the combine, plays stronger than Cine and could play CB as well along with safety or the slot.  And Sydney Brown showed out well athletically even though he did not have a 4.37 40 or better, but I would not be shocked if he is better than Cine long term and someone could steal Sydney Brown in the 2nd round.  

Jalen Mills was released by the Patriots, he has safety experience, boundary corner experience and slot experience.  If one could get him cheap he could be an option to sign.  Patriots signed Myles Bryant who is talented in the slot and is versatile instead of him I assume.  

Real question is if Jalen Carter falls to the Vikings do they take him with those legal issues?  Might have to unless they improve that DL some other way.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Real question is if Jalen Carter falls to the Vikings do they take him with those legal issues?  Might have to unless they improve that DL some other way.  

I really can’t see in any world he falls that far with basically only civil type suits to follow. But I would jump all over that

While it was a different regime, this organization took Sharrif Floyd after largely being considered a top-5 to 10 pick in the draft, so absolutely the Vikings would take Carter were he to fall that far...which is highly unlikely.