2023 Draft Talk

swede700

24 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I really can’t see in any world he falls that far with basically only civil type suits to follow. But I would jump all over that

He possibly caused two people die by racing them in a car potentially, which was after a parade for the team winning a National Title.  Maybe I am reading into that wrong but that is how I see it in terms of what was said about the situation.  A super talented teammate is dead and a Georgia staffer is dead as well because of potentially his actions. 

That stress did affect him because his Pro day was apparently crap and he quit on drills and looked out of shape.  

The Cine hate is really baffling. He was projected to go right around where the Vikings drafted him. Lots of players taken in the back end of the first round are eased into their role, and this was perfectly acceptable, considering the Vikings had two capable safeties on the roster already. He broke is leg in week 4 of the season. It's not like it was week 17 and he hadn't done anything. It's not like he's going into year 4 and we have to decide on his 5th year option. 

Man, did people act like this when Chad Greenway tore his ACL in his first season?

• Like 5

Saying that Cine has not shown he is a decent starting safety in the NFL has nothing to do with hate.  It is simply that I haven't seen anything out of him to conclude that I should have complete faith in that outcome.  Until then, it is great to have Harrison Smith still around.

Being sold on Cine at this point to me looks like wearing purple shades and drinking purple Kool-Aid rather than being based on anything that Cine has actually done in the NFL.  It will keep looking like that until someone brings forth actual evidence. Attacking an opinion as hate without anything substantial backing it up only reinforces to me that there is nothing to back up claims that Cine is a good starting NFL safety in the NFL.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The Cine hate is really baffling. He was projected to go right around where the Vikings drafted him. Lots of players taken in the back end of the first round are eased into their role, and this was perfectly acceptable, considering the Vikings had two capable safeties on the roster already. He broke is leg in week 4 of the season. It's not like it was week 17 and he hadn't done anything. It's not like he's going into year 4 and we have to decide on his 5th year option. 

Man, did people act like this when Chad Greenway tore his ACL in his first season?

Yes they did.  And if we could only access the Archive like we used to up until a few years ago, I'm sure we could verify it.  😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Being sold on Cine at this point to me looks like wearing purple shades and drinking purple Kool-Aid rather than being based on anything that Cine has actually done in the NFL.  It will keep looking like that until someone brings forth actual evidence. Attacking an opinion as hate without anything substantial backing it up only reinforces to me that there is nothing to back up claims that Cine is a good starting NFL safety in the NFL.

yes, but attacking a supportive opinion as being one driven by KoolAid drinking is just as non substantial.

It's not that anyone has said they see superlative skills in Cine already, just that there isn't enough... evidence, as you correctly assert... to write him off already too. it's not like he has failed.

heck, Randy Moss wasn't a Day 1 starter either.

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

and sometimes players recover from an early injury and have a very productive career. Greenway is one. heck, Tom Brady blew up a knee and did fairly well afterward too.

Erasmus James...? not so much.

all i'm saying to everyone here is that it can go both ways.

• Like 1

Not a single person has said they are sold on Cine...all they've indicated is that they haven't written him off, like several people appear to have indicated they have.  After 3 regular season games and an injury, they've indicated that he was a wasted pick...which is ridiculous. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

and sometimes players recover from an early injury and have a very productive career. Greenway is one. heck, Tom Brady blew up a knee and did fairly well afterward too.

Erasmus James...? not so much.

all i'm saying to everyone here is that it can go both ways.

This.  100%.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about Cine post injury. However, He was a baller in college, is highly athletic, and is young. Sure, he didn't look great last year, but we have to remember that Smith and Bynum are decent to very good starters, and that literally almost nobody looked good in Dontelle's scheme. I think Flores could totally maximize his potential and put him and great places to succeed. 

• Like 3

So some thoughts. I know you shouldn’t draft for need with your first round pick, but our edge group is kind of a strength now.  

When Davenport was signed, I had thought that’s the end of zadarius smith. 

but today is almost over and 5m of his 12.5 2023 salary just got guaranteed. They could still do something with him but that would be a waste of 5m unless they still plan on trading him at a lower $ cost to the acquiring team? 

that said, Hunter, Davenport, wonnum are all free agents next year and Z’s cap hit jumps to 21m with low dead money out. 

so long term, still kinda of a question mark. 

The more I think about it Davenport should absolutely be a 3/4 DE and not a standup edge, his pass rush moves suck and does his bend, but he can really push the pocket and hold the edge so why not have him as a guy on the DL.  Assuming Z. Smith is traded or cut but not sure what happens there.  

DE Lowry
NT Phillips / Tonga
DE M. Davenport 
OLB D. Hunter
ILB Asamoah
ILB Hicks
OLB Wonnum / P. Jones
CB B. Murphy
SS H. Smith
FS C. Bynum / Cine
CB Booth / Evans
CB slot? 

Really curious what they do with that 1st round pick, if they view Davenport as a DE which they should then with the Lowry signing the DL is not as big of an issue potentially.  ILB is still an issue unless they think Asamoah is some star or something.  CB is greatly improved with Murphy but still no slot so maybe CB is the way to go unless Cook is cut which does not look like that is the case.

So CB/WR probably the 1st options with that pick.  

Say the Lions go with Bijan since they do not have Williams anymore, that would totally suck if Darnell Washington is there at the Vikings pick, and he I would say long term is better than Josh Oliver and way cheaper.  Both do similar things and Washington has more pass catching potential because of that size.  That would suck if that happens....

These guys could be options as well, but might be a bit high for Hyatt or Flowers.   I do want to see Johnston run a 40, curious what is overall speed actually is.  

Jack Campbell Iowa SR ILB
Kelee Ringo Georgia RS SOPH CB
Bryan Bresee Clemson JR DT
Drew Sanders Arkansas JR OLB
Quentin Johnston TCU JR WR
Antonio Johnson Texas A&M JR CB/S
Jalin Hyatt Tennessee JR WR
Zay Flowers Boston College SR WR

Outside of slot CB, ILB is easily the biggest weakness on the D currently.  And who knows maybe they cut Hicks as well who is not great but then would be even a weaker ILB group.