2023 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

The more I think about it Davenport should absolutely be a 3/4 DE and not a standup edge, his pass rush moves suck and does his bend, but he can really push the pocket and hold the edge so why not have him as a guy on the DL.  Assuming Z. Smith is traded or cut but not sure what happens there.  

DE Lowry
NT Phillips / Tonga
DE M. Davenport 
OLB D. Hunter
ILB Asamoah
ILB Hicks
OLB Wonnum / P. Jones
CB B. Murphy
SS H. Smith
FS C. Bynum / Cine
CB Booth / Evans
CB slot? 

Really curious what they do with that 1st round pick, if they view Davenport as a DE which they should then with the Lowry signing the DL is not as big of an issue potentially.  ILB is still an issue unless they think Asamoah is some star or something.  CB is greatly improved with Murphy but still no slot so maybe CB is the way to go unless Cook is cut which does not look like that is the case.

So CB/WR probably the 1st options with that pick.  

Say the Lions go with Bijan since they do not have Williams anymore, that would totally suck if Darnell Washington is there at the Vikings pick, and he I would say long term is better than Josh Oliver and way cheaper.  Both do similar things and Washington has more pass catching potential because of that size.  That would suck if that happens....

These guys could be options as well, but might be a bit high for Hyatt or Flowers.   I do want to see Johnston run a 40, curious what is overall speed actually is.  

Jack Campbell Iowa SR ILB
Kelee Ringo Georgia RS SOPH CB
Bryan Bresee Clemson JR DT
Drew Sanders Arkansas JR OLB
Quentin Johnston TCU JR WR
Antonio Johnson Texas A&M JR CB/S
Jalin Hyatt Tennessee JR WR
Zay Flowers Boston College SR WR

Outside of slot CB, ILB is easily the biggest weakness on the D currently.  And who knows maybe they cut Hicks as well who is not great but then would be even a weaker ILB group.  

The lions signed david Montgomery. So they have him and swift. They could still go bijan but given defensive needs, I’m not putting that in the bank. 

Vikings aren’t done in free agency. I think they’ll bring in another cb or two, another veteran ilb, maybe a wr. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

The lions signed david Montgomery. So they have him and swift. They could still go bijan but given defensive needs, I’m not putting that in the bank. 

Vikings aren’t done in free agency. I think they’ll bring in another cb or two, another veteran ilb, maybe a wr. 

Oh I did not see that, then sure Bijan is out of the question for the Lions.

Still it would totally suck if the Vikings spent money on Oliver and Washington falls to them.  Great they are going back to being a tough team though and not some wuss finesse team.  

With team needs, Jaxon Smith-Njigba could fall right to the Vikings at 23 though, especially if Bears take Bijan Robinson instead of going WR and Addison gets picked over Jaxon.  

Edited by Ozzy

12 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Most of the defense is gone in a year..... They absolutely need to draft defense, and really any position other than OL and TE. 

The same can be said about why the team should be drafting a receiver early. Because, like the defense, all but Jefferson are set to be free agents after this season. And, technically, Jefferson is also set to be a free agent in 2024 until the team officially picks up his 5th year option.

Also, the cost of receivers needs to be taken into account. Having good receivers under a rookie contract is becoming almost as beneficial as having a QB on a rookie contract. 

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The same can be said about why the team should be drafting a receiver early. Because, like the defense, all but Jefferson are set to be free agents after this season. And, technically, Jefferson is also set to be a free agent in 2024 until the team officially picks up his 5th year option.

Also, the cost of receivers needs to be taken into account. Having good receivers under a rookie contract is becoming almost as beneficial as having a QB on a rookie contract. 

I didn't list WR as a position not to draft, did I? I was pushing back on the idea they don't need to draft defense. 

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

My guess is our first round pick desires are:

1. WR

2. CB

---

3. DL

4. ILB

5. QB

I think we end up drafting Zay Flowers. Meh.

Yeah that Mullens signing was disappointing, sure he is a cheap backup but pretty much a worthless backup as well with no long term potential or upside.  Better than Sean Mannion I guess but that is not hard to be.  Good thing Cousins never seems to get hurt ever.

Zay Flowers I would be ok with but again I think he is a bit of a reach there.  I would rather go Johnstone if he runs a good 40 because he has size and something they do not have at WR currently.  But the route running of Jaxon would be hard to pass up, dude is legit talent and could fall right to them just like Justin Jefferson did the year they needed a WR because Diggs was gone.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I didn't list WR as a position not to draft, did I? I was pushing back on the idea they don't need to draft defense. 

Did I accuse you of listing WR as a position not to draft? Nope. Merely highlighted that the WR position group is also a group that is mostly gone next year. 

And where’s the idea that they don’t need to draft defense? Who has suggested this idea that you’re pushing against?

With the Vikings signing a CB, DE, TE, and re-signing Hitman Harry, Hicks, Bradbury, Schlottman, Mullins, Joseph, and Udoh, where do we stand on draft priorities?  Was Brandel a re-signee?

A.  I feel like the O-line is not in worse shape than last year -- unless O'Niell has a major setback.  Chemistry developed while playing together is paramount to O-Line success.   This doesn't mean the team should not draft a G/C type is the value is outstanding . . . I.e.: Schmitz or Avila in the 4th . . . I doubt either last long, but . . . Same goes for Old Dominion T/G Salvideri is he's available in the 6th 

B.  This TE class is really deep but I feel like the squad is in good shape.  Maybe Kwesi grabs one in the 6th or 7th giving up a future pick?

C.  RB, on paper, seems set.  Cook may be betting on himself and appears to be winning.   If a trade happens, it's gotta be for value . . . A 2nd and 7th or 4th and 5th . . . Maybe just a high 3rd is good enough?  If he's gone, Mattison and Chandler can handle the bulk, but Kene could surprise with his home run ability.  

D.  ILB and CB now appear to be more in play than ever for #23 and #87.  Pick one, then the other.

E.  WR is a position of some need.   I feel like the Vikes have 3-4 guys of similar speed and stature.   Jefferson, Osborn, Reagor, and Nailor each bring differing levels of skill but in similar measurable.   I feel like the Vikes could use a super lanky 4.55 second type who may not separate really well, but wins contested catches 75% of the time.  Or, they could use a jitterbug, especially if Reagor moves on from returning punts . . . Like a Mecole Hardman type.  

F. For finally . . . I'm not sold on the D-Line being set.   The NT from Baylor, Ika, is in a free-fall, but somebody's gonna draft him somewhere, right?   Guys like Ade and Kacey don't come around often and they'll be drafted high because they'll help a team.  If Carter falls to 23, oofdah . . . When Moss fell, we rocked it.   Major differences surrounding the young men at this stage in their lives.   Right now, I think Carter's realizing a lot of bad things happened.   It's happened before, even on a personal level when my younger brother's girlfriend was accidently killed at a high school party.  The kid held responsible in that incident was a neighbor and friend who ran a 47 second 400 at 17 and had a full ride.  So, in Carter's case, there are so many moving parts, but if the vibe is he falls into the 20's, would you be inviting him to dinner? 

Ooops, one more consideration, if one of the QBs ranking 5-7 (Hooker, Robinson-, ??, ???), are available in rounds 4 or later, do you burn one of this year's picks, or wait until next year to get a better prospect later in Rd 1?

On 3/17/2023 at 2:13 PM, vike daddy said:

yes, but attacking a supportive opinion as being one driven by KoolAid drinking is just as non substantial.

It's not that anyone has said they see superlative skills in Cine already, just that there isn't enough... evidence, as you correctly assert... to write him off already too. it's not like he has failed.

heck, Randy Moss wasn't a Day 1 starter either.

I never wrote off Cine. It is not Cine hate or writing him off to suggest that Cine hasn't yet proven himself.

It looks like you don't understand what I was saying, which is fine.

Regardless of whether Cine ever lives up to his draft spot, I hope the team doesn't use a first round pick on a safety this year, but if they do I'll reserve judgement for that player too, just like I have for Cine.

• Like 1

We picked out nine of the top QBs in this class -- Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, Will Levis, Anthony Richardson, Hendon Hooker, Jake Haener, Tanner McKee, Max Duggan and Jaren Hall -- and dove in on five key statistical areas. ESPN Stats & Information's John Parolin pulled two telling stats from each quarterback's 2022 season for each of those categories, including deep-ball prowess and production under duress. Then NFL draft analyst Todd McShay evaluated the numbers against what he sees on tape, with some additional context from Parolin.

Who can extend plays under duress?

Under Pressure In 2022

QB TOTAL QBR
PRESSURED
QB TOTAL QBR
BLITZED
2022 FBS averages: 14.0 under pressure, 59.4 when blitzed
C.J. Stroud 30.6 Young 89.9
Bryce Young 30.1 Hooker 88.9
Max Duggan 28.0 Stroud 85.3
Jake Haener 21.6 Duggan 81.1
Anthony Richardson 17.4 Hall 80.7
Will Levis 14.1 Levis 69.9
Tanner McKee 11.1 Haener 51.8
Hendon Hooker 7.8 Richardson 50.4
Jaren Hall 6.7 McKee 40.5

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35894682/2023-nfl-draft-qbs-do-stats-match-tape-young-stroud-richardson-levis-hooker-duggan-haener-mckee-hall

The article points out that this is one of the most important categories and the only QBs in the last decade taken in the first 2 rounds to have a QBR over 30 when pressured are Mahomes, Burrow, Kyler, Lawrence, Tua, Mac Jones, Teddy, Trubisky, Haskins and Darnold.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

1st round is shaping up to be...

-QB of the future

-CB

-IDL

-WR

Edge is an outside chance but would purely have to be BPA IMO.

So, place your bets accordingly. 

I'd personally give Edge a higher chance than WR still at this point.  Davenports deal is really just a 1-yr deal, so it really has no impact on how I view the position. 

Yes, only Jefferson and Nailor under contract beyond this year (as it's guaranteed that JJ's option will be picked up), but I'm still fully expecting Osborn to be extended, and there is some depth to this WR class, even if it's not star-studded. If the WR is BPA, sure I'd consider it, but my priority still falls to any defensive position first before I get to the offense, outside of there being a Will Levis type to trade up for.  If the WR is the BPA, I'd rather trade back than take one.   

Edited by swede700

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'd personally give Edge a higher chance than WR still at this point.  Davenports deal is really just a 1-yr deal, so it really has no impact on how I view the position. 

Yes, only Jefferson and Nailor under contract beyond this year (as it's guaranteed that JJ's option will be picked up), but I'm still fully expecting Osborn to be extended, and there is some depth to this WR class, even if it's not star-studded. If the WR is BPA, sure I'd consider it, but my priority still falls to any defensive position first before I get to the offense, outside of there being a Will Levis type to trade up for.  If the WR is the BPA, I'd rather trade back than take one.   

WR and Edge are in the same situation; depth now for 2023 but after next year it looks murky with the lack of people under contract. The edge depth in this class is better than the WR IMO.