2023 Draft Talk

swede700

5 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Just read we have the most 1st and 2nd round draft capital into the CB position, yet our CBs are a disaster. Maybe we should just invest more salary cap into proven talent then keep wasting picks on it. Of course, it is a little late this year to do that. 

I know the secret to great CB play.  💪💯

What are the chances that they stay at 23? I think they'll either trade up for a QB or trade back.  I can't see them picking a QB at 23 unless it's a big reach because I don't think they'd want to risk another team jumping ahead of them for a qb that they really like. 

It's not exactly a secret that they would like to draft a qb

19 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What are the chances that they stay at 23? I think they'll either trade up for a QB or trade back.  I can't see them picking a QB at 23 unless it's a big reach because I don't think they'd want to risk another team jumping ahead of them for a qb that they really like. 

It's not exactly a secret that they would like to draft a qb

Stay at 23 and look at QBs in 2024. 

• Like 2

Four quarterbacks are expected to go in the first round of the 2023 NFL draft: Alabama’s Bryce Young, Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud, Kentucky’s Will Levis and Florida’s Anthony Richardson. The next question is where Tennessee’s Hendon Hooker might go.

The betting odds suggest he might go to Minnesota.

The Vikings are the betting favorites to draft Hooker, with DraftKings currently listing them at Minnesota at +350 as Hooker’s landing spot. Up next is Seattle at +900, Tennessee at +1000, Detroit at +1100, New England at +1200 and Tampa Bay, Las Vegas and Washington all at +1400.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/15/vikings-the-favorites-to-draft-hendon-hooker/

Alabama quarterback Bryce Young is the favorite to be the first overall pick in the 2023 NFL draft, and Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud is expected to go second overall. But there are plenty of questions about who the third quarterback drafted will be.

Currently, the betting odds suggest that it will be Kentucky’s Will Levis over Florida’s Anthony Richardson. The odds at DraftKings have Levis a -120 favorite to be the third quarterback selected, with Richardson at +115.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/15/betting-odds-have-will-levis-a-slight-favorite-over-anthony-richardson-to-be-third-qb-drafted/

I just can't get excited over Hendon Hooker. You're looking at a 30 year old when it comes time for a second contract.

24 is the maximum age you spend a premium pick on. Drafting Pickett in the first is fine. Drafting Hooker in the first isn't. He should be a Day 2 pick.

57 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Move up or stay at 23, and they take QB in 2023. In 2024, Kwesi gets his own contract extension. 

I am not opposed to moving up in the draft for the QB of the future.  However, I can't help think that the cost in draft picks will likely hurt the team in the short term.

How, do you think, should the regime manage the loss of draft picks?  My thinking is that with more cap space in 2024, Kirk likely gone, the Vikings become major players for free agents.  What are other possibilities?

19 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I am not opposed to moving up in the draft for the QB of the future.  However, I can't help think that the cost in draft picks will likely hurt the team in the short term.

How, do you think, should the regime manage the loss of draft picks?  My thinking is that with more cap space in 2024, Kirk likely gone, the Vikings become major players for free agents.  What are other possibilities?

I think they have to resist the temptation of trading up for any player this year.   When looking at the teams behind them in the 1st Rd, do any of them need a QB, not really.   So, if they find a trade partner enamored with a DE or OT that slides, they can trade back and get an extra pick.  This team needs multiple CBs, LBs, DL, and maybe  even multiple WRs.  

If they slid back and took Hooker in the late 1st or early 2nd, I'd be ok.  Personally, I'd  rather they focus on the D with early picks.  

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I just can't get excited over Hendon Hooker. You're looking at a 30 year old when it comes time for a second contract.

24 is the maximum age you spend a premium pick on. Drafting Pickett in the first is fine. Drafting Hooker in the first isn't. He should be a Day 2 pick.

So,one year is gonna make such big difference??? But. Yet some are saying Hooker could be the best to be coming out of this class. 

Again, Cousins 1st year here, he was 30…

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I would agree with that, I would take Pickett over Hooker no question.  Hooker is fine but again he is a 2nd round pick not a 1st rounder.  

Fact is in this entire draft, if you talk prospects coming into the NFL in the last 25 years, I would say Will Anderson Jr is the only one in his draft class that would be top 5 at any position in that time span.  I have Will the #2 OLB prospect I have ever seen in those 25 years.  This years TE class is great, I do not have any guys top 5 overall but I do have five overall on that list and 3 centers on the list.  

So to even pretend the Vikings trade up to that #3 pick, Will Anderson Jr is the selection, not some project QB that is being over drafted. 

• Like 1