2023 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

10) Kayshon Boutte
6’0” 192 lbs, 31 3/8” arms, 
4.5s-1.58s ten, 7.08 cone, 4.25 shuttle, 29” VJ
The epitome of a boom or bust player. Had an ankle injury the previous season and perhaps that prevented him from truly being able to train to reach peak performance, however the fact that his offseason went the way it did and he was foolish enough to not compete in certain events that would put him in a less favorable light, along with his combine interview, has me doubt his intelligence. Now I say that, fully being on board with competing at the combine, however to test the way he did simply tells me he was not ready.
Pro Scale:  UDFA <-> Golden Tate
Has some similarities in his game to Golden Tate coming out. Both players had the ability to get YAC and create big plays, while also being athletic enough, physical enough, and quality enough in routes to be versatile.

A Boutte addition would be more intriguing now with OBJ on the roster. Have to figure Beckham is one of his heroes. Nothing about Odell strikes me as role model material, but guys will naturally try/work harder in the presence of someone they don't want to fail in front of.

Something to think about on Day 3 of the draft or if he's a UDFA.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

@diamondbull424

Interesting. I’ve certainly been surprised by his ranking. Based off his projection, he’s quite easily the best WR value in the draft. Could potentially spend a 3rd round pick on a borderline first round talent.

Prior to the OBJ signing, I was of the thought of double dipping at WR with Mims and Michael Wilson, now I’m not sure we double dip at the position, so it’ll be interesting to see what directions we choose to go in.

A veteran addition at CB would mean absolute best player available drafting.

If they stay at 22 I think it will ultimately be CB. Signing OBJ at least takes a little bit of the edge off having to overdraft a receiver high. Maybe.

It will be interesting to see if there's a run on receiver in the later third of the first round though since the group isn't that great and teams might want to go and get "their" guy. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

If they stay at 22 I think it will ultimately be CB. Signing OBJ at least takes a little bit of the edge off having to overdraft a receiver high. Maybe.

It will be interesting to see if there's a run on receiver in the later third of the first round though since the group isn't that great and teams might want to go and get "their" guy. 

Agree. A lot of the WR connecting was due to the necessity to do something improve the room, for both the Lamar situation and the general offensive need. Outside of that I don't really love any of the players at 22.

Now, IF we make a pick in the first round, I'd be pretty surprised if it is not a CB.

6 hours ago, M.10.E said:

He's the only guy I'd draft at 22. The rest of them absolutely not. It's going to be a CB or EDGE

It would have to a GREAT value at edge to take one after the Oweh and Ojabo picks. EDC was asked about it in the pre-draft presser and he said they'd obviously take Will Anderson, if he was there. But outside (what they consider) a huge steal, I can't see an OLB being the pick, given current roster composition.

Edited by wackywabbit

44 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

A lot of the WR connecting was due to the necessity to do something improve the room, for both the Lamar situation and the general offensive need.

This is partly true, but another major factor is WR talent on most big boards lining up in range with us at 22. 

Rarely will the Ravens ever pick a talent below big board consensus. 

There's typically 2-3 WRs in most pundit's Top 25(Some combination of JSN, Addison, Hyatt, Johnston, or Flowers) and 4 CBs(Gonzalez, Witherspoon, JPJ, Banks). 

From there in terms of 'relevant' Top 25 talent outside of CB/WR, you're talking about us taking a falling Tackle and sticking them at LG until Morgan Moses leaves or picking an EDGE(LVN, Murphy, Smith) who will be 4th/5th on the depth chart. 

Outside the Top 25, in that 25-30 range you have O'Cyrus Torrence the consensus top Guard and then some varying DI talent in Bresee, Kancey, and Mazi Smith.

With our current roster, it's inconceivable to me that the Ravens would pick someone at HB, TE, C, LB, or S. 

If all of the Big 4 at CB are gone by our pick, and we can't secure a trade down- we'd be looking at a CB ranked in the 30-35 range. So in other words we'd be reaching for need, and that doesn't seem super likely in a deep CB draft. 

So if the Ravens are looking at their board and see something like Jordan Addison #18th overall and Emmanuel Forbes/Cam Smith #32nd overall, it's pretty obvious where they are going to go.

It's a weird draft where the top ranked WRs probably aren't going to be over drafted, like they usually are, and because of that there's a good chance one could be BPA for us. 

16 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

It would have to a GREAT value at edge to take one after the Oweh and Ojabo picks. EDC was asked about it in the pre-draft presser and he said they'd obviously take Will Anderson, if he was there. But outside (what they consider) a huge steal, I can't see an OLB being the pick, given current roster composition.

Two words. Nolan Smith.

This dude is awesome. Nolan Smith is going to be special IMO. He’s Khalil Mack or Von Miller. We haven’t seen Oweh nor Ojabo display dominance yet. So for me, Smith has the tools to be a dominant elite edge plus he has the versatility as well to play LB in the event that we trade Patrick Queen.

EDIT: Nolan Smith is a stud. I think he’s a future elite edge option. So unless there’s an elite corner on the board, I’d take him.

And the only elite corners in this class seems to be Christian Gonzalez and Devon Witherspoon… but I haven’t analyzed the corner class with a legit deep dive to have an informed opinion. But I’ve looked over some pass rushers and Smith to me is pretty cold blooded.

Edited by diamondbull424

I’m thinking the BPA at 22 will probably be a receiver this year… Funny thing is going into the season I woulda never thought a guy like Addison could possibly be available… When u look at our roster the only receivers whose contract isn’t over after this season is Bateman and Wallace… Similar to last year with Hamilton I feel like there’s going to be a receiver at 22 that we didn’t think could possibly still be on the board and we take him… I’m not saying it’s the most logical of picks I’m just saying that bpa at receiver at 22 seems a highly likely thing this draft… 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bmorecareful said:

I feel like there’s going to be a receiver at 22 that we didn’t think could possibly still be on the board and we take him

The only WR not consistently mocked in range of or after our pick is Jaxon Smith-Njigba. I believe the chatter about the NFL being pretty low on this WR class.

I've grown a lot more concerned over Jordan Addison's game:

- Issues vs press show up way too much on tape. He doesn't have the long speed to demand cushion from CBs, and he doesn't have the size or length to maintain fidelity when contacted throughout his route.

- He lacks the short area explosion to be a true threat on underneath routes or on small ball looks.

- While he improved his catch rate in 22', I still don't view him as a reliable enough or plus enough catcher of the football to offset other deficiencies. 

- Addison was noticeably slower and less explosive at USC, and put up very pedestrian numbers for a WR playing alongside next year's likely #1 overall selection at QB in Caleb Williams.

Addison is being sold as a Calvin Ridley comp route runner, and while that rings true- you're still selling a smaller, slower, and less explosive option. Which is a dangerous proposition for a potential 1st Round WR.