The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Houston is the team not I’m not sure would draft a QB. They know they’re not gonna be good for a while and have so many draft picks in the next two years they can be patient and wait till next year while they continue to add pieces to the rest of the roster 

Carolina is a lock to draft a QB. Two failed QB trades. New coach. New QB 

Lions could but also tricky with the Goff contract can get out but have to eat some dead cap

Pitt won’t draft a QB

If the Raiders get there and have a chance to draft a QB they must do it. You don’t get many bites at the apple so when you do you have to take it. 

Also from what I’m reading into 

Giants Texans Bucs Colts Commanders Panthers Lions Saints  Raiders are all in the QB Market.

34 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Giants Texans Bucs Colts Commanders Panthers Lions Saints  Raiders are all in the QB Market.

After the failures of retread QB’s this year (Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz, Baker Mayfield, etc.) it’s frustrating that we didn’t maximize the potential return we could have got for Carr last offseason.

Now we will be lucky to get a 3rd Rounder for him (if he is even inclined to waive his No-Trade clause) when last year could have fetched at least a 1 and a 3. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

After the failures of retread QB’s this year (Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz, Baker Mayfield, etc.) it’s frustrating that we didn’t maximize the potential return we could have got for Carr last offseason.

Now we will be lucky to get a 3rd Rounder for him (if he is even inclined to waive his No-Trade clause) when last year could have fetched at least a 1 and a 3. 

I understand, Carr is apart of that Wentz, Ryan, Mayfield level of Vet QBs   Like Wentz 2 years ago. That value is gone now

I thought it was the Perfect scenario with Mariota on a modest deal and we maximize the draft picks to improve the team.

Now it looks we’ll just cut him for nothing other than cap space 

Edited by bucksavage1

20 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Contract could make it tough, but teams will always spend on a QB if they think it's the missing piece. Stafford wasn't exactly lighting it up in Detroit before traded.

22 minutes ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Carr will probably just retire anyways. Can’t see him playing for another team. He’s been cozy with no competition for a decade. Don’t see him getting motivated to switch teams move his family again etc 

I think another team will give him a lot of money then find out what we know like Wentz and Ryan. After that he’ll retire ala Jake Plummer /Drew Bledsoe 

Edited by bucksavage1

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Nobody seems to admit drafting a rookie salary QB automatically adds cap room to add better defenders 

1. No we still would need to trade or cut Carr, or else it just uses more cap on QB. not automatic as you’d want an option to not throw your young qb in week 1. Also, a top 5-10 pick gets what 8mil year 1? We could go out and pay a backup, and it still would be about 8 mil too. So 16m. 

2. more money doesn’t automically equal better defenders. 
we could use that money on Oline or elsewhere. 
we could pay the wrong people. 

Obviously rookie contracts are great. But, you still need to draft well and be smart in FA. 

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

The Saints have made a ton of sense for Carr for the last like year and a half, especially considering his relationship with Dennis Allen. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Contract could make it tough, but teams will always spend on a QB if they think it's the missing piece. Stafford wasn't exactly lighting it up in Detroit before traded.

We have to cut him in February to completely rid ourselves of his cap hit, not sure what it will be post Super Bowl if we were to trade him. Someone will trade for Carr though if that's the route that we decide to go, we've seen Wentz traded for solid hauls twice, Darnold traded for draft capital, etc. 

The Colts, Buccaneers, Saints, and Giants are all teams that make sense. 

Y’all are dreaming, teams know our situation with him. They won’t play ball unless they get a steal. If we don’t cut him immediately then we’re on the hook. With his cap charge and his no trade clause. Lmfao! Just cut him, then we can all be happy and cross our f*cking fingers.....cuz that’s about all WE can do. 

I would be shocked if they outright cut him at that point. Instead I think he stays and they pick a QB early. Either Carr starts and rookie sits or they cut him then. Even if the cap hit sucks might be what the best option to keep some ambiguity about free agency and draft.

If the rookie isn’t ready to start they can just keep him. 

So a 40 mil dollar mentor? With what will be waaay more dead money in the future? Sorry, but we can’t have it both ways IMO. Especially because of the no- trade clause. If you’re gonna cut bait, then do it. Let stidham mentor, and sign a cheaper vet. (Gardner minshew for instance) to compete. 

15 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

So a 40 mil dollar mentor? With what will be waaay more dead money in the future? Sorry, but we can’t have it both ways IMO. Especially because of the no- trade clause. If you’re gonna cut bait, then do it. Let stidham mentor, and sign a cheaper vet. (Gardner minshew for instance) to compete. 

Would be fine if they went this route. But think about how the 9ers approached the QB spot. They traded up to 3 to ensure they got one of the top prospects before tipping their hand with Jimmy. If we outright cut Carr would prefer to have a package in place to secure a QB. The timing though sounds like that won’t be possible so guess cutting him is the only option. 

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

Y’all are dreaming, teams know our situation with him. They won’t play ball unless they get a steal. If we don’t cut him immediately then we’re on the hook. With his cap charge and his no trade clause. Lmfao! Just cut him, then we can all be happy and cross our f*cking fingers.....cuz that’s about all WE can do. 

The Eagles were able to get a conditional second that eventually became a first for Wentz despite teams knowing that they already had a replacement on the roster, his contract being worse than Carr, and he was coming off of a terrible season. 

Is Carr great? No. But he's still an average to above average veteran starter. Teams in the NFL need to win or coaches/GM's get fired. I think we'd have a pretty decent market if we decided to trade him including teams like the Saints, Giants, Buccaneers, Colts, Texans, Commanders, and Falcons all being viable landing spots for him.