102. Andrew Vorhees | OG | USC

136. Luke Musgrave | TE | Oregon State

146. Noah Daniels | CB | TCU

191. Jake Haener | QB | Fresno State

201. Myles Murphy | DL | North Carolina

212. Cam Jones | LB | Indiana 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Now we will be lucky to get a 3rd Rounder for him (if he is even inclined to waive his No-Trade clause) when last year could have fetched at least a 1 and a 3. 

Meh. Wentz was traded for a 1st from Philly to Indy and then for a 3rd from Indy to Washington. Carr hasn't been great this year but he's better than a lot of starters around the league. I could definitely see a front office/coaching staff taking a chance on Carr as opposed to a young guy in the draft if they feel they're ready to compete and/or their jobs are on the line. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It's never too early...

3. Jalen Carter | DT | Georgia

36. Isaiah Foskey | Edge | Notre Dame

67. Dawan Jones | OT | Ohio State

102. Andrew Vorhees | OG | USC

136. Luke Musgrave | TE | Oregon State

146. Noah Daniels | CB | TCU

191. Jake Haener | QB | Fresno State

201. Myles Murphy | DL | North Carolina

212. Cam Jones | LB | Indiana 

Yeah realistically we won't be bad enough to land one of the young elite QB prospects. Even just adding 1 talent on the inside of the defense could elevate it from bad to decent. That's how impactful I feel the IDL position is. 

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah realistically we won't be bad enough to land one of the young elite QB prospects. Even just adding 1 talent on the inside of the defense could elevate it from bad to decent. That's how impactful I feel the IDL position is. 

I feel getting an impactful player up the middle will lead to increased pressure, which leads to rushed throws, and that will lead to TOs.  The missing ingredient from the 2016 team.  If we could get a TO dif even close to +1 per game we are in the playoffs easily.  Everyone wants to get back to the 2016 level but they had a +16 TO dif for the year.  That led to a decent scoring defense and a top ten offense.  The highest scoring output our offense has had was in 2020 at 27+ per game but we were only 8-8 that year.  The Defense was ranked 30th but really only gave up 2.8 points per game more than the offense scored.  The biggest difference was not the defense but the TO dif.  2016 we were +16 and 2020 we were -11.  The offense put up more points but also gave the ball away 12 extra times which easily turns into a few points a game.  On top of the the defense had 15 fewer takeaways.  Being positive in TOs is the only way we can win with Carr.  He needs to many resources on the offensive side to produce so we are never going to have a defense that can just stop the opposing team.  We need to score big along with an aggressive and opportunistic defense.  The safe defense that dies by a 1000 paper cuts just gets our offense out of rhythm and gives rest to the opposing defense.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 12:12 PM, BackinBlack said:

1. No we still would need to trade or cut Carr, or else it just uses more cap on QB. not automatic as you’d want an option to not throw your young qb in week 1. Also, a top 5-10 pick gets what 8mil year 1? We could go out and pay a backup, and it still would be about 8 mil too. So 16m. 

2. more money doesn’t automically equal better defenders. 
we could use that money on Oline or elsewhere. 
we could pay the wrong people. 

Obviously rookie contracts are great. But, you still need to draft well and be smart in FA. 

1. We could trade Carr before his Super Bowl week contract  team opt out. Similar how Rams got Stafford.

2. More money doesn’t equal better defenders but it certainly is the best option. Every team runs the risk of signing or drafting the wrong player. But if all you can do is offer 1-2 minimum type deals, you’re getting guys who are on prove it deals. I’d rather have cap space and try to bring in better players 

40 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

1. We could trade Carr before his Super Bowl week contract  team opt out. Similar how Rams got Stafford.

2. More money doesn’t equal better defenders but it certainly is the best option. Every team runs the risk of signing or drafting the wrong player. But if all you can do is offer 1-2 minimum type deals, you’re getting guys who are on prove it deals. I’d rather have cap space and try to bring in better players 

1. I think trade deadline passed, so we would have to cut him. No? Thought trades are done till like March? I could be wrong here.

2. Agreed, was just showing it doesn’t “automatically” do it. If we build up a team smartly, I don’t even mind going with whoever at QB this next year and just go completely rank. Build a very good D, then go get a young qb is what I’d do. A D that consistently gives a young qb chances to win games, does wonders for momentum and confidence.

32 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

1. I think trade deadline passed, so we would have to cut him. No? Thought trades are done till like March? I could be wrong here.

2. Agreed, was just showing it doesn’t “automatically” do it. If we build up a team smartly, I don’t even mind going with whoever at QB this next year and just go completely rank. Build a very good D, then go get a young qb is what I’d do. A D that consistently gives a young qb chances to win games, does wonders for momentum and confidence.

Stafford was traded on Jan 30th. Between the AFC/NFC title games and Super Bowl

• Like 1

Assuming the picks are the same:

3. Jalen Carter, DT Georgia- I don't care who we have playing QB, I'm over our IDL being useless. 

36. JL Skinner, S Boise St- replacing Abram. He reminds me of Abram a bit, if Abram could actually cover. 

67. Christian Gonzalez, CB Oregon- gonna need someone besides Hobbs. Ya-Sin may be one and done. The rest of our CBs are just... yeah, gimme a guy who can maybe create some turnovers.

102. Zion Nelson, T Miami- someone to compete at RT. Munford can play OG if I recall. 

136. Chase Brown, RB Illinois- Jacobs probably leaves, White hasn't shown me enough to gift him the job, and hopefully we only keep one of Brittain Brown, Abdullah, and Bolden. 

146. Garrett Williams, CB Syracuse- see above. Need some depth in the secondary, and Averette, Robinson, etc aren't cutting it.

191. Will Mallory, TE Miami- Worth a flyer. I don't think Miami did right by him and love his upside potential behind Moreau. 

201. Myles Murphy, DT North Carolina- depth on the interior. 

212. Mohamoud Diabate, LB Utah- depth at LB.  

Other notes:

Trade Waller. 

Carr goes into 2023 presumably starting. If he can be traded early, cool. If we trade him later, cool. If a guy drops or a guy really rises and is available in the 2nd we really like, cool. But do not use the 3rd pick on a QB. I'm not wild about Stroud or Young. 

FA should hopefully find some OL help. Ditto for any depth needed elsewhere like WR, QB?, LB. 

Depending on everything, I'm willing to trade pretty much anyone at this point. Adams, Renfrow, Carr, Waller. Crosby and Hobbs are the only two guys I feel strongly enough about to turn down calls. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's really a 1A/1B situation but I'd personally lean Carter. We've needed a difference maker on the interior forever. 

It could be between Jalen Carter and Bruce Smith and I'm still taking Carter. 

We had two very good pass rushers in Yan and Crosby last year that were routinely stymied by our lack of pass rush inside. 

Start at the base and work outwards, I say. 

Will Anderson for me.  Carter is a great player and DT is a obviously a huge need but so is DE. I like the depth at DT with this years draft class and there are some good DTs in the FA class as well. Dont see the need to put a top 5 pick into a DT when EDGE rush is always more important.