The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Foskey has everything you need size, length, explosiveness, power strength, active hands, and a red hot motor

From what I saw, he is more raw than other prospects as a pass rusher, especially with his moves and in his games against pro-style OT's with good hand usage. Not saying he can't develop, I just prefer other guys.

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I am starting to think if we can swing a small trade down it would be ideal, but I don't think our pick will be an attractive trade spot personally. I still want to come away with Anderson Jr/Carter/Gonzalez/Witherspoon with that 1st pick.

Small trade back for Witherspoon is what I'd like to see. Outside Anderson (assuming Carter is off their board) who is a true blue chip player, the next wave of defenders feels similar. Move back and get more bites of the apple in that case. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

3rd Round Pick

Hunter Renfrow

2024 1st

for

DeAndre Hopkins

Lineup:

QB Jimmy G. 

QB after Jimmy’s Week 8 ACL Tear: Anthony Richardson or Bryce Young

RB Josh Jacobs

WR Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins, Jakobi Meyers

TE Austin Hooper and some Rookie (loaded TE class) 

That offense is Top 6 in the NFL at least…….

This would be the best case scenario for the draft. Would still have several selections in the draft to add to the defense 

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Small trade back for Witherspoon is what I'd like to see. Outside Anderson (assuming Carter is off their board) who is a true blue chip player, the next wave of defenders feels similar. Move back and get more bites of the apple in that case. 

I don’t think we can trade back and get Witherspoon. I think the Lions and Falcons will go CB - one to take Gonzalez and the other WSpoon.

I’m all in on Witherspoon. He just is such a bundle of aggression and energy. There are reports of him being a big presence in the locker room - a leader who raises those around him. 

Got a feeling the Lions will go for him though. Gonzalez very much 1b and would be really happy with him too. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I’d absolutely love this and it’s exactly what I’d do.  I’ve wondered how far we can go back though.

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’ve been on record saying I think Hopkins has one elite year left. He’s been battling injuries. One elite year, one great year, one serviceable year is what I predict before he’s washed. 

You could be right… he never was fast (4.57) and got caught using PEDs so that makes me think he was struggling to recover from injuries.  Arizona is apparently consider cutting him which is wild, sure they’re without Murray this year but to cut and not trade him shows something is going on.

On 4/5/2023 at 5:50 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh I think new texans hc wants his version of bosa I think they go Anderson #2

They're ranked basically last in offense though...31st in offense and 31st in touchdowns. 28th in red zone %. They need to improve their offense.

Their defense was bad too, but at least they had 10 more sacks than we did last year.

3 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

They're ranked basically last in offense though...31st in offense and 31st in touchdowns. 28th in red zone %. They need to improve their offense.

Their defense was bad too, but at least they had 10 more sacks than we did last year.

They didn’t have chandler Jones lol

imo the niners work because they don’t rely on the qb to win so they can get away with Brock purdys. Him also being a defensive guy i can see it.

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Nice

I agree cuz corner rt now imo is a big dang need. All over the d? Absolutely! But we need a stud cb ASAP. A trade down would be huge IMO. With that? 5 picks in the first 100 would be able to add 5 good prospects if we get the picks right. 

8 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

They didn’t have chandler Jones lol

imo the niners work because they don’t rely on the qb to win so they can get away with Brock purdys. Him also being a defensive guy i can see it.

I know it won't happen, because Houston fans would justifiably riot, and because it probably wouldn't work out due to how rarely it does, but I don't think Davis Mills is unsalvageable. He was put into a tank situation from day 1 as a sacrificial lamb, and if Ryans decided to just go absolutely ham on defense and some real supporting cast guys on offense, I wouldn't think less of him. 

They'll get a QB at some point, that's a certainty. But I'd gladly take Davis Mills in if he were ever made available. Houston's offense was as bleak a situation as I've seen in a long time and that kid just rolled through the punches. He's probably going to wind up the next Ryan Fitzpatrick type. 

Just now, Devilshark69 said:

I agree cuz corner rt now imo is a big dang need. All over the d? Absolutely! But we need a stud cb ASAP. A trade down would be huge IMO. With that? 5 picks in the first 100 would be able to add 5 good prospects if we get the picks right. 

Agreed. 

We'd technically have 6 picks (109 isn't so far off you're losing a ton of quality) to address CB, DT, LB, EDGE, OG, OT, QB, TE with what are still pretty quality picks- or at least picks I'd expect to see playing some meaningful snaps within a year or so. Can we address everything in one swoop? Nah. But if we could check 6 off (and the talent pool seems pretty deep this year at a few of our big needs) that's HUGE. 

There's some good talent. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to grab starters (at least by 2024) with all of our picks up to 109. When you have a draft class that you can get that much of a contribution from, you're probably in a good spot. It's unlikely all 6 would be hits, and it's unlikely that nobody picked after or in UDFA would be an automatic waste, but I'd say the chances increase of walking away looking like a million bucks when you can take that many swings at a deep class' top 100ish players. 

A "good" draft class (assuming the typical 7 picks rounds 1-7) is usually what? 1 or 2 quality starters and a backup or two? We could wind up with one of those "great" classes this year if we play the board right.